Looking for my project

Dirtysailor

Way more experience than me on here so I will ask from more experienced folks. If you had a choice between a Quigley with a 7.3 l and high miles and another non 4x4 7.3 diesel with half the mileage but needed to get the 4x4 installed which would you get. The Quigley equipt units is $1500 cheaper than the non and has some body panel rusting issues. Before it is asked 4x4 is a must and so is diesel at this point.

michel77

Adventurer
I am looking as well and interested in the replies from more experienced folks on here. To me, it would make sense to go for the higher mileage Quigley van. You may be looking at a transmission rebuild if over 150k but that would be cheaper than the 4x4 install from scratch. I am not too worried about the mileage on the 7.3 diesel itself, it should be pretty durable provided it is well cared for.

Of course, the above is all gathered from different sources during my research and like I said I welcome additional replies. I am personally also interested in whether the 4WD is "really" worth it, I am planning mainly beach (Baja) stuff, fire roads, parts of the Continental Divide Trail etc. but no Rubicon or Moab wheeling.. If anyone cares to add some thoughts on that, it would be much appreciated (without jacking the thread too much, if OP agrees..).

dcguillory

Adventurer
I think most people are going to say it depends on how you feel about quigly 4x4. Easy repairs are what matters most to me and Quigly repairs are the opposite of easy.

bdog1

Adventurer
And, the Q 4x4 has some limitations too.

When I found my van it was pretty much hi mile Q, or lower mile 2wd. I was willing to except the limited travel 4x4 set-up, and I have to say it's worked out well for me. My rock crawling days are behind me! The Quigily is good for sand and slippery trails. Past that Warn to the rescue!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
A rusty Q van with high miles is a bad place to start. I'm partial but I would recommend to get the 2wd and convert it yourself. Or here, or at a local shop, etc.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I am looking as well and interested in the replies from more experienced folks on here. To me, it would make sense to go for the higher mileage Quigley van. You may be looking at a transmission rebuild if over 150k but that would be cheaper than the 4x4 install from scratch. I am not too worried about the mileage on the 7.3 diesel itself, it should be pretty durable provided it is well cared for.

Of course, the above is all gathered from different sources during my research and like I said I welcome additional replies. I am personally also interested in whether the 4WD is "really" worth it, I am planning mainly beach (Baja) stuff, fire roads, parts of the Continental Divide Trail etc. but no Rubicon or Moab wheeling.. If anyone cares to add some thoughts on that, it would be much appreciated (without jacking the thread too much, if OP agrees..).

Glad you're van shopping! Wheel travel is your friend, no matter what you'll be using the van for. For instance, our vans can do this:

1980483_768622606490303_854157900672560951_o.jpg

But also drive like this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk