Lots of M1101 trailer questions......

JordanM/S

Off Road Enthusiast
Totally, how big are your tires on the trailer? I've hooked up a friends on my Mitsubishi and he had 35s in it and I have 31s, I utterly hated the fact that it looked bigger than my rig. I love the way the 416's looks but they are just too darn expensive, cheapest I've found was 1500+ for stock 416 or the m100. I've found 3 ton army trailers or around 500 to 1000 but their stock tires are like 35s or 37s? Also 3 tons, that's way overkill for a something jeep size like my montero sport. But I guess a 3 ton would work well with a power wagon. Those trucks are huge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RagnarD

Adventurer
I think 1101/1102 are fine behind most vehicles larger than a small jeep. The OP did specify his tow vehicle and I think it will be fine. As noted, most builds are bolt on/wheel change stuff. As long as you are fine with the size and height they would make a fine platform to build on. If my Tundra was lifted I would have kept my 1102.

Fresno has posted the prices for his toppers in his thread (post 101).

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...er-Hummer-Trailer-Build?p=1363942#post1363942

LIVINTALL

Totally, how big are your tires on the trailer? I've hooked up a friends on my Mitsubishi and he had 35s in it and I have 31s, I utterly hated the fact that it looked bigger than my rig. I love the way the 416's looks but they are just too darn expensive, cheapest I've found was 1500+ for stock 416 or the m100. I've found 3 ton army trailers or around 500 to 1000 but their stock tires are like 35s or 37s? Also 3 tons, that's way overkill for a something jeep size like my montero sport. But I guess a 3 ton would work well with a power wagon. Those trucks are huge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is on the original 37"tires

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

TwinStick

Explorer
Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate the help & replies. My truck will have ZERO issues pulling this. It won't even know it is back there...compared to our 30' Toy Hauler's 10,500 lbs (which it pulls with ZERO issues as well). I am going with a 2" lift & 35's on our truck. Will also go to 35's on trailer when the factory rubber wears out. I think my stock 08' Power Wagon rims will be a direct bolt on fit for the trailer as well. 17" x 8" w/6.25" back spacing, 8 x 6.5" bolt pattern. ?????????????? I am also looking at the rear 2 stabilizer points to design a 2 bike (bicycle) carrier that will let me just leave both the tires on, yet be uber secure (theft proof & highway proof--my test for my stuff is 80 mph to a dead stop as fast as the vehicle will stop, with zero movement). This un-scientific test has served me well all my life. Panic stops are a non-issue if my gear hold downs pass my test.

I started this thread because i feel we are in a transition period from old to new/est, with Gov. surplus trailers. LOTS of people i know are looking hard but no one really knows what all you can do with them or to them.

I wonder what that big topper weighs with all the goodies plus the rack ? Do you think maybe 4 guys could remove it by hand, reasonably safely ?

Lets keep this thread going please.

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The M1101 and M1102 trailers have a 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern. Matching wheels to a Dodge 2500, 3500 will fit.
Ford and Now GM have gone to a Metric pattern " I guess the they got a kick back from the wheel makers "

The 1101 and 1102 look good behind full size trucks they are wide but don't stick out past the mirrors. " your mirrors clear so does the trailer"

Attachments

• DSC_0013-1.jpg
    DSC_0013-1.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 109
  • image-4.jpg
    image-4.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 01515_43K2a2CCVMQ_600x450.jpg
    01515_43K2a2CCVMQ_600x450.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Dsc01127[1].jpg
    Dsc01127[1].jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 113
  • M1101.jpg
    M1101.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
One simple change to make them more user friendly is to replace the 37" military beadlock wheels and tires with smaller 8 bolt wheels and shorter tires.
It looks a little lost in the fender opening but a custom arched skirt would make it look more proportional.

Attachments

• M1102_zps701638ae.jpg
    M1102_zps701638ae.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 90

Yuccahead

Adventurer
I have an 1101 as well. I've been mulling over some ideas but still not exactly sure where to start so it would be great to see how you proceed.

I have a 4-door Jeep and I think it will work fine as is though I have considered switching to smaller wheels/tires. Half of the time, I think just loading it up with some water/fuel Scepter cans, dry goods, an Arkpak, disc-o-beds and a better (ventilated, skylight) cover than the GI tarp and it would have a very rugged off road camper for when I need to put more animals than just me in the Jeep. Other times, I want to build out something fancy like an AT trailer with creature comforts like drawers and sleeping platforms and built in water tanks for showers and maybe a fold-up roof operated by a large hamster wheel powered by my dog chasing a plush toy.

I too would love to know how garwhal came up with that shorter tarp. I have the tarp on mine and it's just too tall. I emailed one tarp customizer and think I just scared them off with my request.

For anybody that feels they need an M1101, there are a bunch (90+) at Ft. Bliss in an auction ending later this week, I think 6/19/14. Most seem to be graded B. Some have the tan tarps. Prices seem to have fallen a bit and were around $500 w/o a tarp and near $700 with a tarp at the last auction but with this many trailers up for sale at once, prices may be (a bit?) lower. There is a 10% buyers premium.

YH

TwinStick

Explorer
So, what is the form called that you need to register these things ? Certificate of origin ? XX-60 ? What do i need when purchasing one ?

I do NOT want to buy one & find out i got screwed & can't register it in NY.

Thanks for the replies.

LIVINTALL

It's an SF97 form. Depending on what demil code they assign to the lot, it may also require an approved EUC (end user certificate) before picking it up.

TwinStick

Explorer
So then, exactly what are all the form/s or certificates & paperwork I HAVE TO HAVE before leaving with trailer ? Don't want to forget anything.

SF-97
End users certificate
???

Thanks

LIVINTALL

I guess i should have asked where are buying from. I purchased mine through govliqudation.com so this applies to this method purchase. If a EUC is required then that will need to be applied for and approved before you can get the trailer. After you take possession then you can apply for the SF-97. I just scheduled my appointment for pick up. Showed them my invoice and drove off with the trailer after a through inspection. It can take 30 days to get my SF-97. While I was waiting, I got a temporary registration. After the SF-97 arrived, I went and got my title and registration. Here is my experience with the recovery of my trailer.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/other-builds/328169-m1101-surplus-trailer-camp-rig-build.html

Yuccahead

Adventurer
It's been a while since I picked up my M1101 trailer but if I remember correctly, Gov't Liquidators will not send out an SF-97 until after the vehicle was removed from their site.

I provided a copy of the purchase invoice, inflated the tires and drove mine off the base. Later, when I tried to get an SF97, Govt Liq told me I wouldn't really need one since Texas doesn't require trailers with a GVW of under 4000 lbs to be titled. Instead of the SF97, GL sent me a bill of sale.

Later, I checked the trailer regulations. I do not need to register it in Texas. Also, trailers under 4000 lbs GVW weight do not have to lights during the day so I wasn't doing anything illegal driving it home (though I hooked up some HF temporary trailer lights). Finally, I didn't need an end-user certificate for the M1101.

I'd say, just go to you state DMV website and check your state's regulations for trailers for the GVW of whichever you are buying (M1101/2). In Texas anyway, there is a clear advantage to having an M1101 since it's identical to an M1102 except the GVW on the data plate means it doesn't have to be registered.

TwinStick

Explorer
Thank you. The one i am looking at is from a small business/private owner, who is the person that purchased it from the Army Base/Gov't .

garwhal

Observer
On the question of how I lowered my bows. I took the bars and cut them to the height that I wanted. I send my tarp back to New York to have it cut and re-stitched. The tarp is very solid and I wanted to preserve the look. It also reduced the wind drag for towing. The trailer tows like a dream behind my suburban and dodge. I have 4 kids so bigger vehicles is mandatory right now. Camp is a little messy. We were getting setup- lol.
9y8a4e8e.jpg

E Dr. P

Observer
Thank you. The one i am looking at is from a small business/private owner, who is the person that purchased it from the Army Base/Gov't .

Make sure if you need a title for your state, that the seller gives you the title, not the SF-97. The SF-97 is only applicable to the original buyer from the government (who then has to get a title) and will be of no use to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism