Lots of M1101 trailer questions......

ghutch

Observer
Anyone have ideas or pictures of conversion 1101 to a hard top style cover. Want to keep weight down but would appreciate any ideas or pictures. Please give me some ideas. I have a design to add a top above the tarp but think now I might look at doing a hard top of some type? My primary use is ham radio and fishing.

LIVINTALL

Anyone have ideas or pictures of conversion 1101 to a hard top style cover. Want to keep weight down but would appreciate any ideas or pictures. Please give me some ideas. I have a design to add a top above the tarp but think now I might look at doing a hard top of some type? My primary use is ham radio and fishing.
Food for thought.......is that anything like the tarp or hard tops made for the m1101 will act like a wind sail behind your truck. With those setups, you might as well throw an anchor out behind your truck or tow vehicle. There was a company out there that made a custom camper shell like setup for the m1101 but it was super spendy.

ghutch

Observer
I've pulled these many miles, I understand they present a high wind load but I normally only pull it 10-25 miles so the wind load is not an issue. The hard tops are very hard to find! They are made for these units and for my usage a perfect starting point.
Anyone have one they would part with?

RagnarD

Adventurer
People pay top dollar for those trailers with tops. Last few from there with tops went for close to $4k. It is funny how the top parts of these trailers often cost more than the trailer itself. I have decided to roll my own tops and for mil trailers.

Last edited:

ghutch

Observer
Thanks for the link.....I'm close but y'all are right the price is high. That being said they have huge potential. I saw also a drop in shelter/communication shelter made for these.....similar to the drop in com shelters designed for the 3/4 ton pickups? It also would be a great start to rehab. They are aluminum sandwich foam insulated, very strong. Weight was appro. 1000 lbs? I little he atv but for my use would be ok.
Does anyone know how the Fiberglas units are constructed? Any ribs in the sides or top for strength?. I've seem many pictures but never first hand. Also do the doors stop at the tailgate or continue to the floor?

ghutch

Observer
Love to see what you've done?.... you guys post pictures of your mods to this trailer?? These are being the normal GSA sellers now....great place for a mod to start

Texas TT

I have an M1102. I use this as my cargo hauler. I found that modifying it is problematic. The trailer is mostly aluminum riveted together. There is not much steel to weld stuff to.

I could not find a solution for switching the bolt pattern.

I tried hub adapters, but had issues with those. The studs on the trailer are longer than your typical truck studs, so the adaptors I tried did not work. Putting a new axle on there would be difficult, because there is nothing to weld the mounts to. Another torsion axle might work, but that still leaves it sitting high.

I also did not have any luck finding new hubs to convert the bolt pattern.

In the end I just put some smaller Dodge truck ¾ ton wheels on there and dropped it 3 inches. The military tires are heavy, so it probably shaved a bit of weight off of it too. One of the photos in this thread is actually my setup.

I love the trailer though. The tie downs make it easy to haul things like furniture.

I am in Texas and registration was easy. I just needed an invoice to pay the fee and had the plates before I even towed it off the lot.

RagnarD

Adventurer
I pretty much did the same at TexasTT with mine. Smaller wheels and tires, plate, convert to standard 7 pin/12V.

May do an electric brake swap and attach a channel coupler mount to the tongue at some point.

These would make a great base for a build if you have a lifted tow vehicle. I really like the rear stabilizer system and tailgate. Much better than the 101s.

The top of the bed has captured 3/8 nuts so a rack our topper could easily be attached without welding.

i-LGHBhQd-L.jpg

i-vG2QM7K-L.jpg

i-JMXqD8b-L.jpg

Last edited:

ghutch

Observer
I've planned an over the top rack....the only steel welding points are the plates and attachment points at the lifting rings on the four corners. My plan is to use these as the attachment or welding areas for my top. They are limited.
Using steel tubing rather than aluminum presents issues, the aluminum is thin so strong mount point using it would be problematic. I've searched for some stabilizer mounting plates to bolt to the sides and use as welding points but have failed to locate any....these plates are where you attach the anti tilt legs...at the back of the trailer....anyone have extras??
Design plans thus far are similar to an attached roof rack above the tarp, with a ladder access. Plan to floor the area with expanded metal and use as a storage area, antenna attachment and casting platform. Also could be used for a dome tent sleeping if needed. The downside to this is adding more height and higher center of gravity. My off road areas are sand beaches so not as big an issue as a trail type woodland trailer.....and home to these beaches are only a few miles so wind load drag is of no concern.
Searching the forum and websites have not supplied as many modified 1101 trailers as I thought would be pictured for design ideas.....any pictures or website photos would be helpful. Anyone have some good ideas post them pls.
I've begun to gather 1-2 inch steel tubing, plate steel etc.. I will add some pics as the build gets started.
Your design ideas? Please post as my final design is still a work in progress

RagnarD

Adventurer
You could just bolt some angle iron to top rail of bed then weld to that.

If you want the uprights in each corner, you could have a plate cut and drilled to match the nut pattern then weld your rack to that.

ghutch

Observer
RagnarD that is my plan....bracket welded under at corners and extended out or a plate bolted on the sides and weld to them. Wanting the ladder on the front curbside....thought it would be safer if access is needed on the road?
If I could find or make some bracket like the anti tilt legs attach to they would be perfect. the square tubing I have slides over it with a tight fit. May just weld up something similar and extend up from these points.
With the loads I'll be pulling the brake system is much more than needed....remove all would allow the coupling point to be dropped about 3 inches and extended about a foot forward. This will raise the stance of the trailer in travel to a more level angle, extending will help it stabilize, although I have no issue pulling them at highway speeds up to 70 mph or so. One thing I have noted with the tire pressure set at 20 lbs the trailers will tend to at times bounce....add pressure up to about 40 and the are much smoother and the bounce effect is removed.

photomike72

Observer
Ragnar,

Any more shots of or info on your License plate adapter?!?

Picking mine up next week and that looks sweet!

Cheers,
Mike

Knifeknut

Sorry for the necropost, but I felt this is very relevant to much of this conversation. The hardtop manufacturer is Amtech and they do in fact sell their HHT to the public. Just contacted them and received a quote. Quite speedy and doubt we will do it, but I was really curious what they sell for.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210306-104441_Word.jpg
    Screenshot_20210306-104441_Word.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 23

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism