LR3/4 second battery (deep cycle) option

unseenone

Explorer
Yup, I have a setup like that- Traxide, Fridge, Ham, 100W solar, etc. Happy to provide you any details or pictures if that helps. The bracket can be ordered separately, as well as the bolts. I would suggest the Deka line, I've switched over to Deka, happy so far with them. Retired the two Yeller tops to the garage for backup.

Plenty of LR folks here that have the Traxide kit, as it simply works.

For the bracket to work correctly, you need the European battery top.

XYG000051 battery bolt #2
XYG500061 battery bolt #1
YJF500100 battery hold down (RIGHT) - I've had them send the wrong one before as it's not common here.

Last edited:

krick3tt

Adventurer
Just purchased an LR3, 2007. Have been reviewing the posts on aux battery install. Not sure of the battery choice yet, have been running 2 Optima (24V) on my Pinzgauer and have had very good service from them. Apparently some people have not had such luck with them.
I see no pics of the installs and that might help me with the choice of location as well as the correct fit. Can anyone post their pics?

Ray_G

Explorer
Just purchased an LR3, 2007. Have been reviewing the posts on aux battery install. Not sure of the battery choice yet, have been running 2 Optima (24V) on my Pinzgauer and have had very good service from them. Apparently some people have not had such luck with them.
I see no pics of the installs and that might help me with the choice of location as well as the correct fit. Can anyone post their pics?

Location is fairly set in that the LHD has its battery on the right side but there is a nearly identical location under the plastic cover on the left side, to the point where you use stock LR components as discussed above. The traxide kit comes with all of it already (along with pre-cut wiring). Pic threads include:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...Battery-Installation-in-LR3?highlight=traxide
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/111179-Traxide-dual-battery-kit-on-LR4
etc...

unseenone

Explorer
The two links Ray linked up are good places to start, read through them both.

Here is a link to my pics. You will find the most useful pictures under Traxide, Ham, Solar, Fridge, etc. Below is pictured the final finished 2nd battery as it is today. I did modify and improve on the setup over the years.

In particular the rear socket locations, Anderson power pole, and solar controller may be of interest, as well as placement options. In the last iteration I was able to remove about 12' of wiring by replacing the light bar relays with remote wireless relays. So, finally the stuff you do not see is as neat and tidy as the stuff you do see. The quick disconnect outside the battery box is for the winch, and inside the battery box is for the primary battery. There is an AWG #6 Marine cable fused at 75A that runs to the rear bumper with an Anderson connector on it. Behind the power center in the boot, is another set of Anderson sockets, that were also tapped for the power poles, sockets and solar controller. The power run is fused at the battery and + and -. Then the power pole provides for individual fuses for each circuit. The fine wire you see on the 2nd battery are temperature and voltage sensors, 40" light bar power, you cannot see the 30amp remote relay under the wire coil, the Traxide controller (under the same spot). Added over the wire is a fiberglass insulation cover (the silver stuff).

normal_20150531_115828-s.jpg

Last edited:

jerdog53

Explorer

Morris, I have the Traxide Kit that you can inspect in person this weekend.

Dual-Battery-Installation-in-LR3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckshotiii