LR3 needs new shoes Generals or Nittos?

Well voice your opinions folks, do I get the Nittio Terra Grapplers (never owned Nittos but hear good things) or the trusty General Grabbers AT2's (which I have on my DII). Setting up for a South American run, so heavy highway with consistent off road use.

Mack73

Adventurer
I understand the desire to keep in the OEM tire size, but have you considered bumping up to the tried and true 265/65 BFGoodrich AT's?

But in my opinion, I would down grade to v6 brakes so you can fit a 17" tire. I would suspect finding a 18" tire might be a little hard in some places in South America.

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
I have put General Grabber AT2s on two LR3s and they wear incredibly well. I have a little more than 20k miles on my 06 LR3's tires. Last time I got them rotated I believe the treadwear was 3mm or less from new (13mm). The LR3 has about 40k miles on them and they still have plenty of tread life left. I suspect they'll go 60k miles, similar to the BFG ATs.

I'd buy BFG ATs in a heart beat, but dont want to put that big of a tire on my car. Stock is just fine for me.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The Hankook is a good choice, but I really like the Cooper Zeon LTZ's. I ran the Nitto's for their full service length, and after 35,000 miles ( I think?) they were completely toasted. Worn down, chunked out, and stick a fork in them done. Had one flat in many many trail miles and use.

The Coopers rode better, gripped better, lasted MUCH longer, and never chunked out, no flats. They were phenomenal.
I have a lot of tire information specific to LR3's on my website: http://lr3tips.wordpress.com/2007031446-2/

tire-mojave.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys and gals, I've decided to go with the the trusty General Grabbers that I have on my DII. Should be here this friday!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333