LR4 fridge placement

Lemagus

@GORM

That is one nice set-up and you have me thinking that’s the way I need to go. Now that I have a RTT solution, the need to sleep in the back of the LR4 is a lot less necessary - (though I like the idea of being able to sleep four in the rig just on principle).

Having the fridge in the back does prevent access while driving but suppose that can continue to be lived with

AdventureTim

I went with a Goose Gear setup. Their large generic baseplate fits perfectly in the trunk of the LR4. Combine that with their drawers and the Camp Kitchen and you have a fantastic setup.5EEF17E4-B84F-4DA7-B36F-DD9AEF5AAF1B.jpeg

Attachments

• F0001E8E-74EF-4DE8-A713-02DE41FE27D5.jpeg
    F0001E8E-74EF-4DE8-A713-02DE41FE27D5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 62

gatorgrizz27

I went with a Goose Gear setup. Their large generic baseplate fits perfectly in the trunk of the LR4. Combine that with their drawers and the Camp Kitchen and you have a fantastic setup.View attachment 536179

I like the idea of the base plate setup, what material is the Goose Gear one made of? It looks like their boxes are all plywood but I assume the base plate is some type of HDPE or aluminum for $345.

aek50

Adventurer
So what are all of you doing to access the spare when you have a flat? Can you still lower it without removing everything from your cargo area? Absent a swingout, that has been by big holdup on doing anything to permeant

Ray_G

Explorer
Aside from the spare tire access issue (the swing out solves that, but then detracts from utilizing the back easily. At least that has been my experience, and why I removed it)..where do people put things like their clothes in these configurations?

keeper1616

Observer
I agree. @keeper1616 i want to see the picture of the 63 there...post the picture or we conclude it didn’t happen. (y)
Sorry on the delay - I dropped the ball on this one. Pics or it didn't happen - well, it didn't happen. Apparently I bought the 50qt one, not the 62. Still fits perfectly, but looks a lot like mbwesner's picture

gatorgrizz27

So what are all of you doing to access the spare when you have a flat? Can you still lower it without removing everything from your cargo area? Absent a swingout, that has been by big holdup on doing anything to permeant

That’s important to me also. Apparently the Front Runner drawer system has access to the spare tire winch with everything in place. I assume this is still the case with a fridge slide on one half of it.

gatorgrizz27

Aside from the spare tire access issue (the swing out solves that, but then detracts from utilizing the back easily. At least that has been my experience, and why I removed it)..where do people put things like their clothes in these configurations?

Swing outs are a huge PITA to me. Undo latch, swing open, pin locks in, open lift gate, drop tailgate, repeat. Probably the biggest reason I went with a tire size that could be squeezed into the stock location, though the 250 mike fuel range makes some type of extra fuel capacity almost a necessity. Looking at options besides Jerry cans or tank in place of the spare now.

I’d guess most people actually using the drawer systems for extended trips are only driver and passenger, leaving the back seat open for that stuff.

Blaise

I'm in the minority here I'm sure, but over the course of 6+ mo of carcamping I never missed having a fridge and was happy to have a quality cooler (Yeti in my case) with just ice. I found it a lot less worrisome to buy ice every 4-5 days than to worry about having a power source 24/7.

Ray_G

Explorer
I'm in the minority here I'm sure, but over the course of 6+ mo of carcamping I never missed having a fridge and was happy to have a quality cooler (Yeti in my case) with just ice. I found it a lot less worrisome to buy ice every 4-5 days than to worry about having a power source 24/7.
That is definitely an alternate view-based off experience though. I guess I never spend too much time worrying about power for a good fridge-and the time I do spend only increases the resiliency of the vehicle's electrical system.
I'd also say the fridge is way more than a car camping mod; we use it all the time (think going out, getting groceries but not worrying about getting them home b/c the cold stuff is good to go for hours). Minor convenience perhaps but ultimately that's what we're talking about.

Blaise

Yep! That's convenient if the car is being run - not if it's parked which it was for most hours of the day.

I guess we can assume a quality fridge will also have excellent insulation as well? If so maybe I should change my views....

Ray_G

Explorer
So I ran a fridge for years off a single battery, just being mindful that if it was to be parked for a protracted period I'd shut it down (not optimal, as it's better running for the life of the unit).

Then with a dual battery that mitigation became less necessary-and added in a second capability to start. Fridge can run for a few days even in the heat, with no issues-and no effect on critical aspects of the truck.

A couple of 50w (or a single 80w-100w) panels on the truck, now it can sit indefinitely, keep both batteries charged, and the bread never gets soggy.

All depends on how you look at it I suppose-but that's what I meant when I said the minor aspects of being concerned about power just lead to net improvements with the self-reliance and robustness of both the truck, and its owner.

Last edited:

iowalr4

Adventurer
A 100w renogy panel with a Victron BlueSolar 75/15 MPPT Charge Controller works well for my battery/fridge/etc setup. I have mine hooked up to my aux battery using a Traxide SC-80 setup which can also reverse charge into the start battery. The panel can be tilted up to act as a wind faring when I have my cases on the rack. Also handy to get a better angle on the sun, i tend to try and part west facing for an evening charge. You could easily get by with just a panel and main battery for just a fridge. I like to also run shower pumps, compressors, radios, etc so having the extra aux batt is nice.

IMG_20180614_160440-X2.jpg

IMG_20180614_160446-X2.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 8.35.13 AM.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater