M1010 Expo Camper

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
Very nice build. I have wanted one of these for a while now. Does it seem top heavy or sway a lot when driving?

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
I was very surprised in it's handling. With just the stock front sway bar it is sufficient to keep it stable at freeway speeds even with a cross wind. I feel the wind less in this rig than when I towed a travel trailer. I am mindful of the weight though. The rear locker on decelerationl is a bit more pronounced due to the weight. I have traversed some of the dunes at pismo with good results.

Outback

Explorer
I have my eye on a M1010. My concern was that the unit might be top heavy. Do you feel this is the case in an off road situation? Thanks and NICE rig!:victory:

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
This is a heavy truck. I have most the weight low. I went motoring around some of the smaller dunes at Pismo a few weeks ago. When dropping in it is good I wouldn't try to traverse a dune parralel to the crest. I also never intended for it to be a rubicon running rig either. As long as you are conscious about the rig it is very tame. I will get some off camber angles when I take it to work in a few weeks. I plan to use the two forklifts to check flex and off camber sideways.

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
Nice build bro! Great looking rig! I've always thought one of those would make a great basis for a 4x4 camper! Yours looks so right sitting on that lift and 35's, great stance!!! :drool:

Outback

Explorer
I would like to know if the 24volt aspect helps power the A/C unit mounted on the Ambulance body? Thanks.

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
I would like to know if the 24volt aspect helps power the A/C unit mounted on the Ambulance body? Thanks.

That's a good question. I had an issue creep up where the two condensor fans and compressor would blow one of the 30 amp fuses in the back on the distribution block in the ambulance section. Over on SS I found 24 volts was factory for the blower motors. I can't confirm that. My M1010 has been modified by previous owners and nothing on my rig is 24volts. I first thought they swapped out the 24volt condenser fans for 12volt. But after tinkering realized the 12volts is pushing too many amps to turn the fans. I ended up splitting the two fans each on a 30amp circuit using the original wiring to control the new relays. End result AC working good.

Last edited:

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
any recent trips?

Sorry for the late post

I have been on about a dozen trips over the last year pismo Mohave, south Yosemite area, going down to pismo in a few weeks, then the next trip is burning man. I hope to get the turbo installed by the end of next month.

TN4x4

CVCU FOR CAMPER WANTED

I am looking to purchase a M1010 - if anyone has one for sale let me know- will haul - distance to TN no issue

TN4x4

CUCV FOR CAMPER WANTED

I am looking to purchase a M1010 - if anyone has one for sale let me know- will haul - distance to TN no issue

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
Well, after an exhaustive round with Amazon and not wanting to put excess strain on my 6.2 I have abandoned my quest for a turbo. I hauled my 4x8 trailer with 1000lbs of gear and a fully loaded M1010 to burning man. TBH it isn't as bad as everyone says about the 6.2 not pulling. Yes it was slow on a few grades going up the Sierras on Hwy 80 think I dropped to 35mph, but the gear vendors overdrive allowed me to split gears and it went just fine.

I did add a second 80watt solar panel to keep my new Whynter fridge, swamp cooler, and electrical items charged.

The fridge did awesome. I played with the temp setting constantly and left it on fast freeze for a complete day.. oops. The batteries and solar panels worked like a champ. The battery bank only dropped to 12.2 over night running the fridge on 100% duty cycle.

After 10 days in the nevada desert and 20 lbs of playa dust I can say now I am happy with my build.

P.S. I picked up a new aluminum folding table cabinet for the space between the stove and the bed to give me a prep table/ Ham radio desk.

Last edited:

ExpoMike

Glad you're having a great time with your rig. Though I am happy I moved to a Dodge Ram and FWC setup, I really, really miss the 1010. It would have made an awesome camp rig. Oh well, life moves on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad