M1010 Expo Camper

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
Figure I would give an update. I tore out the original bed/ table setup. In actual use that setup was a pain. To acces the storage under the benches caused the bed to always get thrown into a mess. The table was problematic as well. I am finishing up a new bed and work bench combo that gives more bed space and storage. It is almost 4 feet wide where head and shoulders go and narrows to about 3 1/2 feet at the feet. I originally was going to keep it natural wood color with a urethane sealant but an unexpected void in the plywood became apparent when my knee went through it. So onto battleship gray :).

I also moved the house batteries under the new work bench that allowed for me to shorten the wire run from the solar panels and for wait for it,,,,,,

A banks turbo. I found a used setup and am just waiting for a few pieces of hardware to arive and giving bp blaster a few weeks to soak into the manifold bolts. I am lucky as I won't need to move the two starting batteries as they currently reside behind the banks air box and my single alternator is higher than the turbo housing. I still have concerns about the turbo, but stacked against a cummins swap I can swap in 4 6.2 engines for same cost. I am also not in any hurry to go 90 mph uphill towing a 5 wheel like most of the new diesels seem to be doing.

Looks like pictures will be delayed due to ipad sorry. Will try to upload soon.

Thanks again for your interest, also feel free to message me if you have any questions

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
5ahetyty.jpg
e6ebype9.jpg
ynezada9.jpg
ygemeryg.jpg
epejy4y6.jpg
uju4asu8.jpg
9e8e8upa.jpg
du3u7ena.jpg
a3a3uha7.jpg
arene5ad.jpg
du6e8umu.jpg
2e5e4ade.jpg
4e5ygeve.jpg
vazy8une.jpg
u6edu7yz.jpg
yvajyruv.jpg

Last edited:

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
Very happy with the new bed and the ability to store it to give me access to a work bench with a steel top.

Will post pics of turbo install after my exhaust system is complete.

Oh yeah Banks turbo way worth to me. The Ambulance isn't struggling to stay with traffic. I am still adjusting the fuel as I feel it is still a tad to rich and temps a bit higher than I want (600-800) cruise speed

Last edited:

Outback

Explorer
EXCELLENT! Glad you went with the Banks Turbo. I found an M1010 I will be trying to pick up this weekend. Needs work but that is the nature of the beast. Can you tell us more about the gear vender unit? Did you install it your self? How is she doing? Thanks. Love the pics. Keep them coming.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I agree with Outback, the camper looks great. I wish I had a walk through arangemet in my rig. Keep those pics coming as there are lots of us that love the build. Cheers, Chilli...:)

stevo-mt

I dig the Westy kitchen unit! I wanted to gut my m1010 so bad and start over, but I was surprised how handy the bunk system has been working for me. I decided to just kind of modify my designs around it. The bottom storage is pretty good once I realized how to more efficiently pack it. Milk crates are a great deal! Does your truck still have the 208 transfer case? I have been having nothing but issues with mine. I'll drive the truck 2 hrs down the highway about 55 mph and find a puddle of red atf where I parked. I even put new seals and output pinions out of the transfer case. I guess just bad luck.

Does your air conditioning still work? I haven't really ever used mine or tested it, but I was contemplating the idea of making that additional storage that you could access from inside the truck. I think it wouldn't be too tough to do. Cut, rivet, and seal in some aluminum to replace perforated metal on the outside. Then make a door or access panel, maybe even a plastic boat one, on the inside. It would free up that big old area where that a/c junk is at and allow you to store stuff!

Keep it up. Eventually there will a group of us M1010 guys!

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
The gear vendors unit is the older style with the small pan. The unit works flawlessly. I purchased the GV used on ebay. The install was per much straight forward. I only problem I encounter during install was keeping the adapter plate to transfer case matting surfaces clean and free of ATF. Just need to get a 208 tc adapter and shorten the rear drive shaft to accommodate the added length of the over drive unit. I didn't install the 4x4 lockout switch, but I dig hook everything else. Driving I find I use it to split gears mainly climbing grades I keep it in over drive but downshift to 2nd. Haven't had any issues with the unit except for a seeping pan gasket. A not on operating I found on decel to give a little throttle makes the characteristic harsh downshift not as violent.

I still have the 208. As with the motor the 208 is nothing close to a 205 but I am not hammering it either.

My AC is still working I just haven't but the mind to figuring a good circulation from the back into the cab. I do have a slow refrigerant leak. I just top it off before a trip. I have thought about gutting the AC also but until I decide if I really want AC in the dash I will keep it.

Outback glad to hear you might have a m1010 on the way.

Steve does the thing leak while running or while you are parked. I have a slight leak between trans case and over drive unit but that is my own doing not a flaw in the t-case. You might check the tran dipstick tube sometimes leak once you stop the vehicle and the ATF fills the pan up.

Thanks everyone for the interest. I am glad more people are doing m1010 projects the more ideas the better. I built an ammo can speaker box with motorcycle batteries and a blue toothe adapter. No working out the possibility of an on board wifi network to stream music to the speaker box from a hard drive.

Outback

Explorer
Thanks for the update. Whenever you can would you mind just taking a quick shot of the Gear Vendor unit? I will definitely being going this route as well. I am also thinking about getting one of the Low Max NP205 T-Cases. 3.1 low range should be plenty low for what I want to do. I really love the idea of the gear splitter. That just makes everything work so much easier. If you had a 4L80E then it would be an 8 speed trans. Maybe I can find one out of a 1991 Suburban?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad