M101CDN 'hybrid'

Jay S.

Observer
Well so far so good (great!), I've towed it empty behind my F250 for about 20 or so miles and it rode better that the Ford....I haven't installed any shocks yet or the additional leaf. Once I tow it loaded I'll know if I need the extra load-carrying capacity.
Here's a few updated pictures:

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
Jay,
Anything to report with the springs under load?
I am considering ordering a set for my M101. My lid and RTT add about 200 lbs to the trailer. There are an additional 200 lbs of gear when loaded to go camping. Estimate the trailer ready to go is about 1200 lbs total, can't imagine that would be any more than the front end weight of a samurai, what with engine and all.
I'm looking for flex. Have you hauled any weight? If not, maybe you could recruit 2 or 3 friends to get in the trailer to see how much it settles. Then have them jump up and down to check the flexing aspect.
Very interested in some feedback.
Thanks,
BX

Jay S.

Observer
BajaX,
Negative on hauling anything....I'm waiting for the hardware store to get the correct bolts for the tie downs (¼-28 Grade 8) so I can put it back together and put the tarp on (don't have the tarp yet either).
I really need to do exactly what you said with loading it up before I hit the trails. If I had the weight you're carrying I'd put the extra leaf in right away. My only other concern is height, it sits pretty darn high right now and probably will sit higher with the additional leaf. I took the bump stops out so even if I do load it up (w/o the extra leaf) I've got a mile before the axle bottoms out:D

Jay

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
Jay,
I ordered a set of OME Samurai springs yesterday, should be in on Friday or Monday next. I decided at $59 ea plus $40 shipping, it was worth the experiment. I feel the weight of the Samurai front end supported by these springs must be comparable to the weight of my M101, so no overloads for the time being.
Having an axle made that is 5 1/2" shorter so that I can run 16x7 wheels with 0 offset (4" backspace) on 6x5.5 black spoke wheels. This will delay testing of the springs for a few weeks, but I will let you know how it turns out. Will post an update to my M101 thread when I'm done.
BX

Last edited:

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
No, plan to try the basic leaf pack first. That's with four leaves (I'm assuming). If it isn't enough, then the optional spring, or an after market overload will be added to the leaf pack.
BX

Jay S.

Observer
Just F.Y.I. the D20XL is what they call a 'fitted' leaf meaning it's properly arched to fit in exactly where it needs to in the leaf pack.

Did you order the springs through an ARB dealer or straight from ARB (in Seattle)????

TheGillz

Explorer
Does anyone know the weight ratings of the samurai springs? I found some used ones that I can get ahold of...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__