M2 Freightliner Ambulance Conversion Project. 2007 Crew Cab

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
The carnage

32882f3ed3b117b4dd019f01b122ac5b.jpg

ff1110573b17174e4dea2b69f122a0ca.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Well it is finally done. The truck is registered in AZ as a motorhome. Got to the MVD at about 7 AM finished by 11AM SO much better than the 5 hours last time. When I got called up for my inspection the guy says "You don't need an inspection its already a motor home". I bit my tongue and asked him to do it anyway just in case since I had already waited 1 1/2 hours. He humored me and they did take my money.

The biggest hassle this time was them trying to sort out a valuation to charge my registration on. They do not accept the receipts from when I paid for it to get market value so they searched around and plucked a value out of the air (after about 45 minutes of delay including trying to find the phone number for a company that is no longer in business even after I told them that). Actually the people who served me were great and actually had a personality. The process on the other hand leaves a lot to be desired.

But I will say one thing for AZ. Even though they seem to under staff the MVD the price is right. $20 for the inspection and $101 per year for registration. Less than $2 a week to have that vehicle on the road. Bargain!! Compared to Australia especially. All my 4 bikes and both trucks combined in AZ is less than my Land Cruiser Troop Carrier in Australia.

rlrenz

Explorer
And your struggle makes me very glad that I have a receipt for my vehicle from GEV - unfortunately, the insurance company put a value on it that's about twice as high as the purchase price for some peculiar reason.

Here in MN, I don't believe they require a vehicle inspection - but they do want photos of before and after, plus receipts for the equipment you installed that make it an RV (refrigerator, AC, water system, outside power connector, propane cook top, etc). As far as I know, I can take the photos to one of the county license dealers and do the whole job there

But I could be wrong......

rlrenz

Explorer
Thanks and, no, not a rush at all! I've been too busy to do much (any...) ambo work lately. Just ping me when you're back and we'll settle up.

This is an official "PING" - I guess. I'm back from the Caribbean - it's my every-year winter vacation. That's the advantage to living in MN -- March is a great time to leave town for a while, especially if you're heading south.

Like any one who rebuilds ambulances, I watched every ambulance I saw carefully. Unfortunately, the Caribbean island roads are universally sized for horses, wagons, and maybe Model T's, so I didn't see any medium ambulances - just a mixture of standard Ford chassis equipment, and Mercedes-based units.

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
This is an official "PING" - I guess. I'm back from the Caribbean - it's my every-year winter vacation. That's the advantage to living in MN -- March is a great time to leave town for a while, especially if you're heading south.

Like any one who rebuilds ambulances, I watched every ambulance I saw carefully. Unfortunately, the Caribbean island roads are universally sized for horses, wagons, and maybe Model T's, so I didn't see any medium ambulances - just a mixture of standard Ford chassis equipment, and Mercedes-based units.

Ping received! I'll email you. Thanks!

Ross

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
No progress but I did find out a key bit of information.

No Spin 2.jpg

Attachments

• No Spin.jpg
    No Spin.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

rlrenz

Explorer
Virtually every used ambulance out there was designed and built too the requirements of KKK-A-1822, "Federal Specification for Star of Life Ambulance". An ambulance built to this specification would be able to qualify for various grants for purchase, so it became the gospel for ambulance builders.

Section 3.6.5.8 states that the ambulance shall have a limited slip differential:

differential.JPG

However, it also states that the buyer's specification is the primary governing document.

So, a limited slip differential is probably more the rule than the exception. Regardless, though - it's always nice to KNOW just what you have.

rlrenz

Explorer
I'm amazed that this is the first with limited slip! Every ambu-buggy I've run into has limited slip, but limited slip may be a northern snow belt thing (!??)

Congratulations!

rlrenz

Explorer
Ross - your buggy as well? I'm real glad mine came from a VFD in central NY. It even has tow hooks front and rear.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Well guys OK I put Old Yella up for the Cool Rides contest at expo west. It will be interesting to see how it rates against some incredible vehicles. Check it out HERE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater