M416 trailer build my brother and I

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Build #4 has begun today, this will be a simpler build and will not have all the bells and whistles as the other builds. It will be a basic trailer for carrying camping gear inside and kayaks on the top. No RTT, on board power or lights planned on this one.
IMG_0505.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Just a few pictures of the trailers out at Country Fried Weekend.

IMG_0457.jpg
IMG_0454.jpg
Lighting up the night.
IMG_0460.jpg
An aerial view of the site.
IMG_0488.jpg
We had a good time and met a lot of great people out there.
IMG_0495.jpg

rustED

Adventurer
Wow, you guys can bust out 3 trailers faster than I can finish one, lol! Seriously though, awesome build thread, very informative, and full of good ideas!

yotes65

Observer
Well I know it's been awhile so here are some updates to the build.
Installed a bracket for the table and solar panel inside the lid.
View attachment 256301
View attachment 256302
View attachment 256303
Making the propane tank holder.
View attachment 256304
View attachment 256305
Tank installed.
View attachment 256306
View attachment 256307

Why Why can't you guys be closer to where I'm at... I could use a friend like you with skills to help me. For everyone's safety I'm not allowed around tools. :Wow1:

Couple questions...
1) what style of clamps did you use to mount/store the table to the inside of the lid? Could you provide some closer photos?
2) How do you secure the propane bottle? Does it have a locking mechanism?
3) What would you charge to fab a propane bottle holder & ship to Phoenix, AZ? :wings:

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Why Why can't you guys be closer to where I'm at... I could use a friend like you with skills to help me. For everyone's safety I'm not allowed around tools. :Wow1:

Couple questions...
1) what style of clamps did you use to mount/store the table to the inside of the lid? Could you provide some closer photos?
2) How do you secure the propane bottle? Does it have a locking mechanism?
3) What would you charge to fab a propane bottle holder & ship to Phoenix, AZ? :wings:
First question no clamps were used, the table slides into a bracket on the sides, the other side has a screw (wing nut) to keep it in place.
IMG_0356.jpg
Second question, the propane bottle is secured with a bolt that goes through into the bed of the trailer. It is a tee on the outside and a wing nut on the inside. That keeps people from stealing it, the only way to get it off is to unscrew it from the inside. The trailer locks so it would have to be unlocked to unscrew it. This doesn't show it so well but you can look close and see the tee head. I hope you got the idea of it.
IMG_0414.jpg
Third question, I don't think my brother will do it right now he has a lot on his plate with the 4th build and he's building a garage at the same time. Plus the first trailer (mine) is going in on Tuesday for a few modifications. See if you can get someone where you are to fab one up for you. Here are some pictures of the process.
IMG_0407.jpg
IMG_0408.jpg
IMG_0409.jpg
IMG_0410.jpg
I hope this helps you out.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
A little more work on the frame over the weekend.
IMG_0516.jpg
IMG_0517.jpg
the measurements are 12'2" long by 69" wide. As I had said before this trailer will be for carrying camping gear inside and kayaks on the roof.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Well I took the first build, mine to my brother's house yesterday. We will be making two modifications on it, first will be changing out the latch to secure the lid and the second will be a paint job. The other build will be on hold until this is complete.
The new paint color will be gun metal grey for two reasons, first the paint was scratched and second if will go with most any other color tow vehicle. The plan is to sell it because build 5 will be the replacement. That build should start in May time frame.
IMG_0518.jpg
Just a picture of the scratch on the paint.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Just a quick look at the progress of the updates. The T handle lock for the lid was added.
IMG_0524.JPG
IMG_0525.JPG
IMG_0526.JPG
Still need a new paint job and the table storage will be moved from the side of the bed to the inside of the lid.

AndrewDM

Adventurer
Those trailers look even better in person. You guys were a blast to hang out with at CFW.
Are you adding any cross members to the frame being built?

-Andy

sroth

Fabricator
Those trailers look even better in person. You guys were a blast to hang out with at CFW.
Are you adding any cross members to the frame being built?

-Andy

Thank you Andy. We had a great time out at CFW, great people great food! As far as the cross members yes there will be two installed, I leave them out until the axle is installed with the springs and shocks. It's just easier to setup the shocks with the cross members out.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
A few more updates, the table was moved from the side of the tub to the underside of the lid to save space.
IMG_0536.jpg
IMG_0537.jpg
A lip was also welded around the lid to better keep out the elements.
IMG_0530.jpg
IMG_0532.jpg
IMG_0534.jpg
All the holes were welded up and the prep for the new paint job begins.
IMG_0535.jpg
Prepped for painting.
IMG_0538.jpg
IMG_0539.jpg
IMG_0540.jpg
IMG_0541.jpg
Two coats of primer and it's ready for the paint.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Well it's been a little while but here's the big reveal, new paint job, a lip around the lid to keep out the water, table moved into the lid for storage, new latch for the lid and the lid hinges reworked.
IMG_0544.jpg
IMG_0549.jpg
IMG_0550.jpg
Sitting next to my brother's build.
IMG_0555.jpg
IMG_0558.jpg
Here's a few close ups.
IMG_0559.jpg
IMG_0562.jpg
IMG_0561.jpg
IMG_0563.jpg
IMG_0564.jpg