Mahindra 4x4 pickup

SRN

Adventurer
I'm really excited about these trucks. A midsize pickup with a crewcab and a diesel sounds REALLY impressive. I'm glad the US is getting some Diesel options.

The flimsiness of the bumpers don't bother me either... they'd get replaced immediately. I could see ARB and others jumping on this product pretty quick. Anyone know about diff locks being available?

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that ARB already offers a pretty full range of options for Mahindra stuff as they are all over in Australia.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Sound similar to what happened to Crosslander - same guys, same problem, same ending - only the parts have changed. Still waiting for my crosslander.

FOUND this when researching the crosslander to understand what you were talking about...

In related news, Cross Lander announced that it is no longer Cross Lander. Err... kinda. The company is officially changing its name to Global Vehicles U.S.A. Incorporated. However, as a regrettably infectious tune once said, "It's all the same, only the names will change"-- the company and its charter remain unaltered, and the "Cross Lander" moniker is being retained for future U.S. bound products. The embattled firm further states that it plans to move its home base to the Atlanta, Georgia area later this summer, and claims to still have 150 dealers signed up.
(reference autoblog)

So it is the same company, G.V. USA, I guess our hopes for a Mahindra are likely to be dashed eventually as well... sigh.

As for lockers... This guy seems to think that they are being made by Eaton Locker. I am not certain what axles will be in this thing, but these guys say that the old Mahindra CJ's had a Dana 44 in them, so, if they are going with an American axle then it would be easy to do a locker, if not... who knows...

Brian

Last edited:

Navman

Adventurer
Why only automatics here? The other markets get manuals. I'm on the test drive list. It'll be interesting.

Because lazy Americans don't like to shift. It's too hard when you have a cell phone in one hand and a 64 oz. coffee mug in the other.

Really, I don't get it either. A manual seems to be a perfect fit for this vehicle.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Because lazy Americans don't like to shift. It's too hard when you have a cell phone in one hand and a 64 oz. coffee mug in the other.

Really, I don't get it either. A manual seems to be a perfect fit for this vehicle.
SAD...but spot on mate... It sure seems like N.American market "trucks" these days are more like our living room then our workshops... I like my bare bones, 5spd-man and would never go with a slush-box unless I am physicaly no longer able to operate a clutch... I sure wish that Truck companies would at least give us the OPTION (- cough Toyota cough - ) of a manual no frills 4wd option... Sure seems like they'd be eassier to make. Real simple solution IMO (and yes I'm eagerating for effect ;) ) take anything that doesn't make the car move or get it over/around an obstacle and to me, you've got all you need... Now I'll admit I've given in to a few creature comforts like AC (but not on hills, it IS a 22RE ad I'd be in second trying to make it :D )and a tape deck with an I-pod adaptor...But that's about it...

Cheers

Dave

Maddmatt

Explorer
FOUND this when researching the crosslander to understand what you were talking about...

(reference autoblog)

So it is the same company, G.V. USA, I guess our hopes for a Mahindra are likely to be dashed eventually as well... sigh.

Brian

Yeah - much like the Crosslander, the Mahindra seems to be a simple vehicle that people would be interested in. Not sure if enough are interested to make it a viable competitor, but if they (GV USA) make the appropriate plans, and don't pretend like they're going to be the next Toyota, I don't see any reason why they couldn't be profitable. Assuming they can clear the government hurdles of course.

RE: Automatics. I love to shift. I take pride when driving manuals in changing gears so smoothly that my passengers don't even know it happened. I drive with one eye on the tach, even when I have an automatic. I learned to drive in a Scout with a granny low 1st and no tach. I shift my auto. trans too. I just love to shift.

But there's no way bringing in a vehicle in limited numbers makes sense as a manual, unless its a sports-car. Modern automatics are smarter, more efficient and faster than me. And people are lazy.

HINO SG

Adventurer
Why only automatics here? The other markets get manuals. I'm on the test drive list. It'll be interesting.

They say it's actually less expensive to get EPA certification for a powertrain with an automatic transmission because of how the engine and transmission can be programmed to work together to reduce emissions; furthermore, each powertrain has to be certified seperatly so bringing the manual transmission in would at least double the cost of the EPA certification.

I'd love to have something like a Mahindra with a manual transmission but we'll be lucky if the truck gets here at all.

SAD...but spot on mate... It sure seems like N.American market "trucks" these days are more like our living room then our workshops... I like my bare bones, 5spd-man and would never go with a slush-box unless I am physicaly no longer able to operate a clutch...

Times 2! I want bare-bone basic.

And the invention of the smartphones/MP3 players that can be plugged directly into my very powerful hearing aids have eliminated the need for $3,000 stereo systems that can shake the mirror glass right out of the housings and flex the body panels enough to chip the paint right off. Or blow the windows out like "acetylene balloon" explosions. Even shatterproof ones!

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I have serious doubts that we will ever see this vehicle on our soil. GV and those behind it ran the Crosslander into the ground after taking money from prospective dealers and it looks like they are running the same scam here. It's too bad.

dox

I have serious doubts that we will ever see this vehicle on our soil. GV and those behind it ran the Crosslander into the ground after taking money from prospective dealers and it looks like they are running the same scam here. It's too bad.

Also read recently that GV USA has filed suit against M&M Mahindra for not meeting the contractual deadlines for delivering the vehicles stateside.

Mahindra has filed to drop the suit, citing many reasons.

Also read a rumor or two, but can't find them, essentially saying Mahindra didn't want GV USA to be the sole distributor, so they are trying to get out of contract.

More here: http://www.deccanherald.com/content/78346/mahindra-counters-lawsuit-us-dealer.html

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
On the Automatic tranny...

It only took me one summer living in D.C. driving my toyota celica with a standard transmission to decide that I never needed another manual tranny so long as I live!

Then I got a Toyota truck with a 5 spd, a few auto cars and then a jeep with a 5spd. Still no reason in the WORLD to buy a manual tranny. Heck many of the auto trannies are all but as feul efficiant as the manuals. I just do not see the point in going with a stick anymore.

BESIDES! When was the last time you road center seat in a small pick up with a manual tranny! YIKES! no thanks! :D

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
On the Automatic tranny...

It only took me one summer living in D.C. driving my toyota celica with a standard transmission to decide that I never needed another manual tranny so long as I live!

Then I got a Toyota truck with a 5 spd, a few auto cars and then a jeep with a 5spd. Still no reason in the WORLD to buy a manual tranny. Heck many of the auto trannies are all but as feul efficiant as the manuals. I just do not see the point in going with a stick anymore.

BESIDES! When was the last time you road center seat in a small pick up with a manual tranny! YIKES! no thanks! :D

BlueBomber

Adventurer

I do all the time in my dads 89 toyota 4 speed. Its fun to shift the gears for him. I LOVE stick shifts. Ive owned a couple 77 celicas that were stick, a 79 datsun 210 that was a stick and a 74 F-100 that had a three on the tree.
I dont see any point in owning an automatic.......J/K:elkgrin:
Some people like to put it in drive and cruise, I like to choose which gear Im in. Plus, I seem to have horrible luck with keeping an auto together........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater