Mahindra 4x4 pickup

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
No doubt Viggen. We are due to replace both cars, but honestly there is nothing out there I want. The balance between function and thrift is just not available.

I'm with you.

That little four door could be very nice (IF I can fit into it) but personally I would rather they were here for a year or two before I picked one up. Let other poor sods find all of the bugs etc. Then I can get the opinions of others before dropping good money on what might be the next Yugo!

Mind, I really do hope it is not a Yugo, but considering the price point, and quality reviews... sigh...

Maddmatt

Explorer
I feel the same way. But obviously we are wrong because all of the auto companies have reams of data on market research, focus groups, etc. and it all clearly shows that we need expensive vehicles with useless features.

I'm still crossing my fingers for Mahindra.

I don't think NEED is the word, I think WILL PAY FOR is what their market research shows.

preacherman

Explorer
I want to be excited about it coming, but I am concerned about the build quality. It would be great if they showed us what a USA spec truck looks like inside and out.

I have been around some of their trucks in Africa and I was less than impressed with the quality. I know its cool to see some other options available in America but if they follow suit with their existing line of trucks then it will not be anything to write home about. I would rank their build quality somewhat similar to Chrysler cars in the late 80's early 90's.

I personally think it will never be available in the US and I am surprised this thread refuses to die....:elkgrin:

dox

They have passed EPA certification and that should be the last major hurdle... however their ongoing saga with Global Vehicles USA may cause a big issue. They just broke off their agreement, and GV USA filed suit a while back, so we will see.

Dealers have gone on record saying they will take delivery from whatever source they can get it.

I'd expect build quality to be similar to a late 90's or early 2000's Ford Ranger. I don't think we should expect a Lexus when we buy a quad-cab 2.2l diesel work truck. Frankly, if we were all so concerned about build quality, none of us would have even taken a second glance at the JK Wranglers prior to the 2011 model year. So cheap inside...

As for reliability issues, who knows? But these trucks have been sold worldwide in other markets for quite a while now. I think if there were issues worth noting, they'll be easily found in other forums where discussions of these take place.

Will I be first in line to buy one? Probably not. But if they end up being a bargain on the used market and relatively reliable, I'll be hunting for one.

haven

Expedition Leader
Pickuptrucks.com is reporting what some here have suggested: Mahindra and Mahindra purposely delayed EPA certification of the diesel-powered pickup because M&M was unhappy with the contract they signed with Global Vehicles USA, the USA distributor. The source of the report is GV USA president, John Perez.

It seems that the original contract between M&M and GV USA included a clause that ended the contract if the vehicles were not certified for sale within 3 years. The contract was signed in September 2006. The final EPA certification was achieved in August 2010, more than 3 years later.

When M&M tried to use the 3 year escape clause to pressure GV USA for concessions, GV USA filed suit to try to force M&M to fulfill the original contract. The suit is in the pipeline in federal court, but it may take years to resolve the issue.

Here's the article
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/0...yed-truck-certification-to-void-contract.html

preacherman

Explorer
it is a diesel thing.

we need more diesel options whatever they may be?

seeing the vehicles you list, it is clear you are not a diesel guy.

actually I have driven and ridden in diesel landcruisers all over Africa. I sooooo wish we could get some of the diesel landcruisers they have overseas. The 100 series diesel LC is quite possibly the best truck I have ever been around. I used to have an FJ60 and really considered a half cut form SOR. I like diesels and like most of you I would like to see some in the US, I just don't think we will get any good mid truck/small truck options here any time soon.

Toyotero

Explorer
I moved back down to Nicaragua two weeks ago, and I'm digging the Mahindras Pik Ups that I've seen around town. Attached are a few shots I snapped of two around town yesterday.

They definitely look weird at first, but I think it is a style that is kind of like the 55 series LC... it grows on you, although a 3 inch suspension lift and an ARB face-lift definitely could do it wonders.

This country should be a good test market for them. I've yet to meet anyone who drives one, but when I do I'm going to ask the accumulated mileage and their opinion of the vehicle so far. If they can survive the tough environment (heat, rain, dust), terrible roads and typically negligent maintenance that is the norm here, then they could have a shot at being the poorman's Land Cruiser or Hilux.

Regards,

Attachments

• P9129741_Mahindra.JPG
    P9129741_Mahindra.JPG
    354.6 KB · Views: 92
  • P9129742_Mahindra.JPG
    P9129742_Mahindra.JPG
    363.2 KB · Views: 64
  • P9129744_Mahindra.JPG
    P9129744_Mahindra.JPG
    380.9 KB · Views: 87

dox

GV USA is going to attempt to place an order with M&M Mahindra today for $35 million dollars worth of trucks. This should be interesting. :costumed-smiley-007

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/0...pt-35-million-order-for-mahindra-pickups.html

Despite a bitter ongoing dispute, Georgia-based auto distributor Global Vehicles USA said it will attempt to place a $35 million order on Friday Sept. 24 with Indian truck maker Mahindra to launch its compact clean diesel pickup trucks in the U.S.

GV USA and Mahindra are fighting in arbitration and in U.S. federal court over repeated delays getting Mahindra's clean-diesel pickup certified for sale in the U.S.

In the past two months, Mahindra has issued two press releases stating that its relationship with GV USA has "expired" while Global Vehicles says Mahindra took unfair advantage of an escape clause in its contract to terminate its relationship with GV USA after the trucks received emissions certification from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Yesterday, Mahindra released a new statement on its corporate website that said it was GV USA that had let the escape clause in their distribution contract lapse.

If Mahindra accepts the order, GV USA said the first TR20 and TR40 pickups will be delivered to dealers in the Southeast, followed by other regions over the next eight months. First-year sales volume could reach 30,000 units.

GV USA also said that the company and the approximately 350 Mahindra dealers it recruited in 49 states have invested almost $100 million to bring Mahindra's trucks to the U.S.

Mahindra TR-Series will be offered in two cab configurations: a two-door regular cab and a four-door crew cab. Both will use a slightly modified version of Mahindra's mHawk 2.2-liter inline-four-cylinder diesel engine that uses diesel exhaust fluid (urea) selective catalytic reduction to maintain emissions compliance. It's expected to have fuel economy ratings as high as 30 mpg and 1.3-ton hauling capability. Pricing is expected to start around $22,000.

[Source: Global Vehicles USA]

Maddmatt

Explorer
GV USA is going to attempt to place an order with M&M Mahindra today for $35 million dollars worth of trucks. This should be interesting. :costumed-smiley-007

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/0...pt-35-million-order-for-mahindra-pickups.html

:lurk:

The continuing saga of John Perez - will be interesting to watch indeed.

Funny thing for me is, I only wanted the truck to succeed because I wanted the chance to test drive a Scorpio - because a 30mpg bio-diesel SUV with seats for 7 is something I have a use for.... would still rather have a crosslander though - I guess I need to let that one go after 10 years or so....

haven

Expedition Leader
I think the key phrase is "attempt to place" an order. M&M says that GV USA is no longer their partner in USA.

There's a press release on the M&M web site that says when the 3 year drop dead date passed, GV USA made no attempt to ask for an extension.

It seems obvious that both parties are trying to position themselves in the best light before their trial begins. At this point, it would seem that the best GV USA can hope for is a settlement that would be large enough that they can pay back the 300+ businessmen who paid GV USA to become M&M dealers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach