Main Line Overland JK Build Thread

Main Line Overland

Supporting Sponsor
Yeah we did not want to deal with the grounding issue that comes with all the other mounting options, so it was worth it. We have an SWR meter at the shop, so I will be tuning it later today or tomorrow.

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Good job Matt. My only suggestion is that you might want to clip the corners off that CB mount to avoid lacerating someone's hand when the trail gets bumpy and limbs start flailing.

Looking forward to the battery tray pics. :ylsmoke:

Main Line Overland

Supporting Sponsor
Good job Matt. My only suggestion is that you might want to clip the corners off that CB mount to avoid lacerating someone's hand when the trail gets bumpy and limbs start flailing.

Looking forward to the battery tray pics. :ylsmoke:

Jim,

I definitely plan on rounding the edges, just ran out of time. And I may even consider moving it entirely, still going back and forth on its location.

Main Line Overland

Supporting Sponsor
Funny story, when I pulled the glovebox to run the wiring, I found a bunch of items that had fallen behind the glovebox from the previous owner. These items included a payroll check for $135, a check book with a few blank checks and some other items. Looks like I might be able to afford all my mods now, haha just kidding.

goldenbeagle

Adventurer
If you guys are ever planning on getting around Cassville, PA (real close to Huntingdon, PA) give me a shout. My family has cabins stretched all across the Cassville mountain and combined own the top and all the way out to the valley. My family also maintains the undeveloped corresponding mountain top properties. If you give me some advanced notice I can shoot up and get some food rolling and we can have some beers over a fire and swap stories.

FYI- keep the build thread rolling. You guys got some great stuff here. Hope to see you at the VT workshop.

Main Line Overland

Supporting Sponsor
If you guys are ever planning on getting around Cassville, PA (real close to Huntingdon, PA) give me a shout. My family has cabins stretched all across the Cassville mountain and combined own the top and all the way out to the valley. My family also maintains the undeveloped corresponding mountain top properties. If you give me some advanced notice I can shoot up and get some food rolling and we can have some beers over a fire and swap stories.

FYI- keep the build thread rolling. You guys got some great stuff here. Hope to see you at the VT workshop.

Hey that sounds like a great idea, we would love to meet up. I will shoot you a message the next time we are up that way.

Thanks!
Matt

BenHedrick

Adventurer
Matt and Pete, Thanks for the hospitality last week and allowing me to stop by to say hi! You guys have some awesome projects going on. Hope to be able to do some Jeeping (FJ-ing, Pete) with you guys soon and or, look into coming to Daytona and race with me in September. Bring Wes too!

Take care, Ben

Main Line Overland

Supporting Sponsor
Matt and Pete, Thanks for the hospitality last week and allowing me to stop by to say hi! You guys have some awesome projects going on. Hope to be able to do some Jeeping (FJ-ing, Pete) with you guys soon and or, look into coming to Daytona and race with me in September. Bring Wes too!

Take care, Ben

Ben,

It was great meeting you, and we hope to meet up with you in the near future Jeepin/Racing. Keep us updated on your great projects as well, we are always interested.

Thanks,
Matt

JeepinJon

Observer
Which CB mount did you use? Any issues with tuning or grounding once you tuned it with the SWR meter? Any concerns about the antenna not being able to bend properly with the tire carrier?

I am trying to move my antenna off the license plate mount, but with the AEV tire carrier haven't decided on where I want to move it to, or how to mount it since the mast on the AEV carrier would be too high for most of the trails around here.

Main Line Overland

Supporting Sponsor
Which CB mount did you use? Any issues with tuning or grounding once you tuned it with the SWR meter? Any concerns about the antenna not being able to bend properly with the tire carrier?

I am trying to move my antenna off the license plate mount, but with the AEV tire carrier haven't decided on where I want to move it to, or how to mount it since the mast on the AEV carrier would be too high for most of the trails around here.

Here is the mount I used: http://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_402.htm

It self-grounds with the stainless steel bolts and bracket. I have an antenna quick disconnect as well, so I can remove the antenna when not in use or if need be on the trail.

I have been running with the rooftop tent on the Gobi roofrack for most of the summer so the antenna only sticks up about a foot above that. I am not really worried about the antenna in its current location, and did not want to deal with mounting it to the mast either.

TheBigJ

Wanderer
Amazing build so far, definitely seen some stuff in your build that I'll have to look at for my 2DR JK Rubi.......

Main Line Overland

Supporting Sponsor
Amazing build so far, definitely seen some stuff in your build that I'll have to look at for my 2DR JK Rubi.......

Thanks!

I made some more progress last night, I fabricated a mounting bracket for the ARB Air compressor that I will be installing. I will get some pictures of it and post them up tonight I hope.

Main Line Overland

Supporting Sponsor
Almost forgot, we got some goodies in from Goal Zero, one of the many brands we carry, which we plan on mounting up soon.

02c41e9b.jpg

More to come...

Main Line Overland

Supporting Sponsor
Busy day, but got a little bit of work done on the JK in my garage at home after dinner. I love having a house with older garage that I can drive into with my rooftop tent mounted, can't beat that.

56b35a8b.jpg

I got the ARB air compressor bracket fabbed up, now for paint and wiring.

a13aa58b.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater