Making a JKU fun in the Highway (speed) parts of an Expedition?

eternus

Observer
I have a very slow build going on with a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited but find myself at a bit of an impasse. It's so bad that I'm now considering re-thinking the platform. My problem is when I get on the highway and hit the 60-65 mile mark... that's about as fast as it gets and still feels fine. This is a problem when I'm driving on highways with a 75 MPH speed limit.

My Jeep is also my daily driver and I enjoy it for any shorter trips, and once I'm off pavement it's even more fun, but to get to the fun places I generally have to do some lengthy driving at highway speed to get there. There are two things that really come into play, first that I have to push down the skinny pedal to stay going above 60 MPH... it doesn't want to go that fast... so it guzzles down gas and second is that solid axle and suspension, it bounces around and feels a bit at the mercy of the road beneath me.

I figure the answers are, respectively to my 1 and 2, re-gearing what I have (I'm at 3.73 now) and to improve my suspension beyond my Metalcloak Dual-Rate lift maybe to the Game-Changer if not more.

I'm curious if anyone has really found a way to make their Jeep a joy to drive on the highway in the same way that it's fun to play off-road. I'm on the verge of moving to a Tacoma Double Cab which is much more difficult to make topless.

IPA

Observer
I don't know. My stock 2015 JKUR with the 4.10's cruises at 75 or 80 easily. Set the CC and go. The only thing that bothers me comfort-wise on long drives is lack of lumbar support. I also plan to install a dead pedal soon.

doubletapdaddy

I have an auto 2014 JKUR with 2.5 MC G-C ARB, 35" BFG KM2's and stock 4.10s that I also use as a DD. I have no problem maintaining 85 mph rolling through Colorado where I reside. I drive 75-120 mi daily, and am very happy with my MC G-C on road and off.

2014-10-21 22.27.09.jpg

eternus

Observer
Hmmm, a pricey upgrade that I was hoping to hold off on until I could put a D44 up front... I suppose this is why you just buy a Rubicon in the first place.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Tons of people say the AEV 2.5" and 3.5" lifts with the geometry correction brackets wind up with better on highway manners than stock.

-Dan

eternus

Observer
My Metalcloak kit worked wonders already, I just need to swap out the Rubicon shocks for OME to improve it more. I know they suggest Pre-Runner type performance if you get their "six pack" shocks, but that's out of my budget.) I'd bet that going to 4:10 or 4:58 would go a long way to making it feel more highway friendly.

Any other thoughts or direct actions anyone has made? Narrower tires, wider tires, anything "aerodynamics" related?

doubletapdaddy

My Metalcloak kit worked wonders already, I just need to swap out the Rubicon shocks for OME to improve it more.

The "ARB" in the 2.5 Metalcloak Game-Changer ARB lift that I run is a full set of OMEs. IMHO, they provide a very smooth driving experience, highway or otherwise.

eternus

Observer
I have an auto 2014 JKUR with 2.5 MC G-C ARB, 35" BFG KM2's and stock 4.10s that I also use as a DD. I have no problem maintaining 85 mph rolling through Colorado where I reside. I drive 75-120 mi daily, and am very happy with my MC G-C on road and off.

View attachment 327792

Are you using the OME shocks, or the 6-Pack? I've got OME as my next buy but still have some control arms to replace before I have the Gamechanger light. Its sounding like I would be better off putting 4:10 in my axles before worrying about further suspension upgrades.

eternus

Observer
Hah.. posted at the same time. I'll look into getting the OME shocks asap and see what that does for me. I already love the springs & replaced parts so expect better shocks will be a good thing.

doubletapdaddy

You havn't stated what size tires you have, or what mods you've made that might be affecting performance IE weight .... information that is all crucial when considering a re-gear.

I should note that I run full AL armor, including bumpers, flares, rockers and skids, otherwise my JK would not break 30mph on the mtn passes. Lol.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
You havn't stated what size tires you have, or what mods you've made that might be affecting performance IE weight .... information that is all crucial when considering a re-gear.

Exactly. If you can't maintain speed and you're all stock except for the lift, you might have problems.

And isn't the D44 on a Rubicon more or less the D30 on your JKU except for the center section?

I know a guy south of Parker who has regeared more Jeeps than you can imagine.

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Changing from 3.73 to 4.10's isn't worth the cost and effort. What size tires did you say you're running? I have a JKU Rubicon with stock 4.10's on 35's and I wish I had 4.56's, but get by with the 4.10's. I find the JKU drives well enough to make a 3,600 mile drive to Baja and back. I can run 75-80 MPH without it feeling too squirrely, but it does downshift often in the hills.

There are certain things you can't get around, as you mentioned in your first post... it's a solid axle Jeep with poor aerodynamics and a removable hardtop. It's never going to drive as well as a IFS vehicle that has a more aerodynamic design and a solid roof.

I've been eyeballing a set of Fox adjustable shocks, tuned for a JK. You can increase the firmness for freeway driving and loosen them up for slow offroading. I think that would help control a lot of factors created by a lifted Jeep. - https://teraflex.com/shop_items/558de80405a25c5bb1e1f077

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have the teraflex leveling system, lower control arms, tie rod, track bar, steering stabilizer and I run Monroe reflex monotubes. I have 33's on pro comp Rockwell wheels and my jeep handles great on the highway. Much better than it was stock actually. I am moving to a 2.5" teraflex spring lift with shock adapters this spring. I expect that it will ride the same if not better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat