Making a JKU fun in the Highway (speed) parts of an Expedition?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I had similar complaints with my JKUR. I have a 2014, auto, stock tires and suspension... It lags badly on the freeway... Cruising 65 or 70 is lucky.

After 18k miles or so, it seemed to get better. I think most of it was me getting used to it. I went from a truck with a big V8 diesel and a car win a big V8 to the jeep. going from 1900-2000 rpm engines at 75-80 was a huge change to something that needs 2500+ to cruise at a similar speed.

I basically learned to push the engine a little more, and cruise a little slower, and life is okay

Septu

Explorer
I'm curious if anyone has really found a way to make their Jeep a joy to drive on the highway in the same way that it's fun to play off-road. I'm on the verge of moving to a Tacoma Double Cab which is much more difficult to make topless.

I'm running an MC lift as well (just different shocks, and have only replaced the Front U/L arms), and it doesn't bother me. Highway speeds up here are 100/60, and I'm good with that. I can, and have gone a lot faster, but considering the distances I have to travel if I'm on a road trip (next major center is 1000 - 2000 km away), and the price of gas up here (while cheap, still a lot more than the US), it's to my advantage not to step on it. If I'm pulling my trailer, I rarely go over 100/60. I also think it's one's perception of what they're looking for. Is the ride as nice as what other vehicles are? No, most definitely not, I usually rent some nice cars when on vacation, and damn those ride great. But it doesn't bother me. Maybe I'm just used to it? Either that or I'm just not picky enough to care?

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
My Metalcloak kit worked wonders already, I just need to swap out the Rubicon shocks for OME to improve it more. I know they suggest Pre-Runner type performance if you get their "six pack" shocks, but that's out of my budget.) I'd bet that going to 4:10 or 4:58 would go a long way to making it feel more highway friendly.

Any other thoughts or direct actions anyone has made? Narrower tires, wider tires, anything "aerodynamics" related?

If you're not getting those comped or wheeling it like crazy where you really need that extra couple inches of flex... I really question whether those shocks are worth it.

andoor

Observer
You will not be disappointed with the MC / OME combo! My JKU with 35's rides better than stock.

Not sure if you are running an auto or manual, but reprogramming the auto with a tuner may help out a bit. I have a manual in my JKU, but changing the shift points on my F150 with 35's made a huge difference.

eternus

Observer
Honestly, I've had great performance from MC Dual-Rate (which must means no shocks in the kit) and the Rubicon shocks. I used to get some horrible bump steer when I'd hit any bad spots in the road and this entry level change fixed that very well. I think I'll put the OME on and see how much it changes again. I'm optimistic.

I don't see a day I will ever justify the fancier MC brand shocks so not really worried about getting them for a while. I think I'd be better served putting my money elsewhere.

One of my biggest motivators was my wife's unexpected enthusiasm when I said "I miss having truck bed" as she urged me to switch out. After a weekend of soul-searching I realize just how fun my Jeep is and know I'll not find another topless option. I then remembered today, there is a Jeep truck coming along in about a year (late-2017 model year from what I've read) so I can always go that route if I really want to go truck but still want Jeep. (c:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
You'll be way more popular with friends and family if you get the Tacoma.
Probably never again worry about having nothing to do on a weekend. :elkgrin:

eternus

Observer
Yes, I traded a Tacoma i to get the JKU and had just dealt with a moving friend, though honestly I have other friends with bigger trucks so I was easily dismissed. A 5' bed doesn't get you much moving room.

jsek29

Observer
Don't overlook the MC RockSport shocks. They're not the fancy (expensive) 6 Pack shocks, but they get good reviews. I'm getting them on my Jeep, and will give you my thoughts once I get some miles on them in March.

MOguy

Explorer
Tire pressure and shocks are going to be the biggest issues when it comes to how you jeep rides.

As far as the power? Re-gearing is the best way to reclaim power to increased tire size. I have a TJ with a 5 spd so I can't tell how you should gear your jeep but I am running bias ply 34 inch supper swampers and 70 mph is no issue for me. I am running 4.56s. It isn't quite (I have a soft top and the tires are loud) but ride isn't bad. I have OME shocks, tera 3" springs and new style RC adj arms. If I can get a TJ on those tires going down the road at 70mph with no issue it shouldn't be hard to get a JK doing it, it should be able to do it better.

You mentioned MC arms, people seem to like them and feel that the style of bushing they use improves the ride.

Blue Baby Sound

A guy with a Jeep
IMO caster and gearing are playing a role in your unhappiness. What are your alignment #s?
Maybe I missed it, but what tire size & type are you running with 3.73s?

Chris85xlt

Adventurer
I run 35" tires with 4.56 gears and a 6 speed manual and it drives highway just fine cruises at 80 all day

Same here...im running 35's with 4.56 gears and a 6spd but with the weak *** 3.8 motor and i could still cruise 80 all day.

2.5 TF coil lift with bilstien 5160 shocks. Only have LCA and rear trac bar bracket for geometry corrections.

I also have a 2015 Tacoma DCLB 4x4 and even at 80 mph feels like your pushing it

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have a very slow build going on with a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited but find myself at a bit of an impasse. It's so bad that I'm now considering re-thinking the platform. My problem is when I get on the highway and hit the 60-65 mile mark... that's about as fast as it gets and still feels fine. This is a problem when I'm driving on highways with a 75 MPH speed limit.

My Jeep is also my daily driver and I enjoy it for any shorter trips, and once I'm off pavement it's even more fun, but to get to the fun places I generally have to do some lengthy driving at highway speed to get there. There are two things that really come into play, first that I have to push down the skinny pedal to stay going above 60 MPH... it doesn't want to go that fast... so it guzzles down gas and second is that solid axle and suspension, it bounces around and feels a bit at the mercy of the road beneath me.

I figure the answers are, respectively to my 1 and 2, re-gearing what I have (I'm at 3.73 now) and to improve my suspension beyond my Metalcloak Dual-Rate lift maybe to the Game-Changer if not more.

I'm curious if anyone has really found a way to make their Jeep a joy to drive on the highway in the same way that it's fun to play off-road. I'm on the verge of moving to a Tacoma Double Cab which is much more difficult to make topless.

This is exactly why I decided to switch from a Jeep to the Montero, the Monty will still go up 95% of the 'hardcore' trails the Jeep did but be 110% more comfortable while getting there and back. The double cab Tacoma is a very good option as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat