Making a JKU fun in the Highway (speed) parts of an Expedition?

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Tire pressure has a lot to do with handling as well. Yesterday we drove 4 hrs, the first 2.5 were hell. I had the jeep in for some new goodies this week and the mechanics are dead set on putting my tire pressures at 40 psi. The jeep drove ..... OK ......until we hit the highway, then I was fighting it. Something was not "right". I stopped for the wife and mother in law to have a bathroom break, and I set my pressures. On my winters I put 32 front 36 rear. Difference was significant and noticeable right away. I am installing true tracs and 4.10s in my rig so that on the highway I get that little bit extra with 33s.

Definitely tire pressure is the thing I mess with the most. I run 24-26 psi in my 37" KO2's with a stiffer sidewall than my 315 Duratrac's. I never run more than 30. I like the nicest ride possible. I don't care about mpg. I mess with it so much because it changes from day to day on how it feels to me that I have thought about adding on board air.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I run 30 in my 33s, The way I look at it, my jeep does not weigh what a 1500-2500 series truck, so I don't need 40 psi to have the same "air pressure" as the big trucks.

eternus

Observer
I run 30 in my 33s, The way I look at it, my jeep does not weigh what a 1500-2500 series truck, so I don't need 40 psi to have the same "air pressure" as the big trucks.

I run 30 in my 33's in the summer but pump it to 35 in the winter for a) a narrower tire and b) it gets cold in Colorado so its always dropping pressure at night anyway. I need to get a tuner so I can adjust my TPMS to not nag me when it gets low. The tire pressure isn't my issue, nor is the suspension, it's just the nature of a solid axle. That's something you just have to make your peace with. I do hope to go up to 4:10 or 4:56 but probably won't spend that money until my next new tires. Of course as I say that I'm not sure why I'd compound the cost like that, I just figure 34s (my intended next size) will make the Jeep feel even more anemic at highway speeds.

kojackJKU

Yeah, I am going to 4.10 even though everyone is saying go way higher, I don't really want or need to. Add in the true tracs front and rear and I am sticking to 285s. Big enough for what I need.

eternus

Observer
You have 285/70 or 285/75?

Truetracs... LSD or do they make lockers too? You have them in the front and rear? after market? (i don't even know if you can put a LSD in the front. =oP)

I looked for a build thread but don't see much about your "too many to list" mods. :)

eternus

Observer
Well now I'm curious about this LSD thing on the front, any great threads on this subject on here?

I presume its just open unless you engage 4H/4L? Is this basically the same as A-Trac or Trac on a Toyota? (Maybe I need to start another thread.)

ExplorerTom

Explorer
A Truetrac is an open diff until one wheel starts to slip too much, then the gears work their magic and sends power to both wheels. It's all automatic and invisible to the driver. I just point my wheels up the trail and I get there. Steering effort is unchanged throughout the process.

The only downside is if you are stopped and one wheel has zero weight it doesn't seem to work. But usually you can either back down slightly or do a little left foot braking to simulate some resistance on that unloaded wheel. For a dedicated rock crawler, they aren't the best, but for a do-it-all they work pretty well.

kojackJKU

Exactly. If you are not putting wheels in the air on a regular basis, the true tracs are probably the best option.

eternus

Observer
So, is the LSD always on in front? Or does it not really act as an LSD until you put it in 4H/4L? It sees like the traction control of an AWD vehicle.

I don't anticipate getting a wheel in the air, but if 1 gets in the air I don't want to be completely screwed.

(Pardon my ignorance, LSD in a part-time 4WD is a new concept to me.)

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've got lockers front/rear can engage in 4wd Hi/Lo and 2wd--

I've been running Hankook Dynapro MT Lt 295/75x16/BFG KM2 MT Lt 305/70x17 and for years I've run them between 28/30 psi-both sets are right at 33" installed-

I've set my toe-in at 3/32 and hiwy tracking is great/straight-you have to be careful running MT's and not AT's/or hiwy tires on freeway !

My jeep isn't a DD and spends most time in the Nv desert, but I'll drive it to Ca, several times each winter/w Sierra Snow storms-(500 miles)-

She weighs in excess of 5500lbs loaded and my gas mileage ranges between 14 and 17 mpg on the trips thru the Sierras-

The jeep is an off-road jeep, for occasional hiwy use

Whatever

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

kojackJKU

So, is the LSD always on in front? Or does it not really act as an LSD until you put it in 4H/4L? It sees like the traction control of an AWD vehicle.

I don't anticipate getting a wheel in the air, but if 1 gets in the air I don't want to be completely screwed.

(Pardon my ignorance, LSD in a part-time 4WD is a new concept to me.)

The front will be an open diff until you put it in 4 high. then it will still be open until its needed. If you put a wheel in the air on occasion, BLD will take care of no traction.

DougC

Observer
That's what I was thinking too. I have the 3.5 inch AEV suspension and my JKU drives like a dream...I could use more power; but, handling is phenomenal!

Captain Texas

Adventurer
That's what I was thinking too. I have the 3.5 inch AEV suspension and my JKU drives like a dream...I could use more power; but, handling is phenomenal!

I have their 2.5" lift and it is awesome on road! Haven't taken it off yet but hope to soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat