Making a JKU fun in the Highway (speed) parts of an Expedition?

DaJudge

Explorer
I have a very slow build going on with a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited but find myself at a bit of an impasse. It's so bad that I'm now considering re-thinking the platform. My problem is when I get on the highway and hit the 60-65 mile mark... that's about as fast as it gets and still feels fine. This is a problem when I'm driving on highways with a 75 MPH speed limit.

My Jeep is also my daily driver and I enjoy it for any shorter trips, and once I'm off pavement it's even more fun, but to get to the fun places I generally have to do some lengthy driving at highway speed to get there. There are two things that really come into play, first that I have to push down the skinny pedal to stay going above 60 MPH... it doesn't want to go that fast... so it guzzles down gas and second is that solid axle and suspension, it bounces around and feels a bit at the mercy of the road beneath me.

I figure the answers are, respectively to my 1 and 2, re-gearing what I have (I'm at 3.73 now) and to improve my suspension beyond my Metalcloak Dual-Rate lift maybe to the Game-Changer if not more.

I'm curious if anyone has really found a way to make their Jeep a joy to drive on the highway in the same way that it's fun to play off-road. I'm on the verge of moving to a Tacoma Double Cab which is much more difficult to make topless.

What size tires are you running?

MOguy

Explorer
This is exactly why I decided to switch from a Jeep to the Montero, the Monty will still go up 95% of the 'hardcore' trails the Jeep did but be 110% more comfortable while getting there and back. The double cab Tacoma is a very good option as well.

This is something to think about. I love my jeep but I would rather travel for long periods of time (at freeway speed) in my 4Runner. When it comes to off-road the Jeep would be the choice. My 4Runner wouldn't do nearly as good as my Jeep off road.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
IMO caster and gearing are playing a role in your unhappiness. What are your alignment #s?
Maybe I missed it, but what tire size & type are you running with 3.73s?
I'm with you.
If he has wheels with less backspacing, there is excessive scrub radius causing the front to wander ---- need to deviate a bit from OE spec and toe-in a little bit to compensate.
Under dampening also compounds that; better shocks needed.
Gears will make it peppy; 4.10s are perfect for 33s. 4.56 for 34s. 4.88 or 5.13 for 35s (IMHO). I have 3.73s and 33s and would be very happy with 4.56 when pulling my trailer.
Geometry correction brackets like Grecy said will get rid of some of the bump-steer and correct caster without swapping control arms. They make for a very improved highway experience.

eternus

Observer
I'd have to check my alignment numbers, not sure where I stuffed that output after the last alignment.

I'm running 285/70/17 Terra Grapples with the MC UCAs and stock control arms elsewhere. They're sitting on the Willys Wheeler wheels (read - Chrysler) so have a ton of backspacing. Before my lift they would rub on hard turns.

The ratio and tire size is about what my expectations are too, 4:10 would improve my 33"s somewhat and when I run through the tread on these I'll probably creep up another 1/2" - 3/4" in diameter.

My problem with going Montero is that what I really like about the Jeep is the option to go topless in the summer. There is a Jeep thing in driving around with the doors off and the wind whipping through the cab. I love it and so do my kids... my wife is apparently not a Jeep girl.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I'd have to check my alignment numbers, not sure where I stuffed that output after the last alignment.

I'm running 285/70/17 Terra Grapples with the MC UCAs and stock control arms elsewhere. They're sitting on the Willys Wheeler wheels (read - Chrysler) so have a ton of backspacing. Before my lift they would rub on hard turns.

The ratio and tire size is about what my expectations are too, 4:10 would improve my 33"s somewhat and when I run through the tread on these I'll probably creep up another 1/2" - 3/4" in diameter.

My problem with going Montero is that what I really like about the Jeep is the option to go topless in the summer. There is a Jeep thing in driving around with the doors off and the wind whipping through the cab. I love it and so do my kids... my wife is apparently not a Jeep girl.

We simply go topless in our Mazda mx5, we went on our first date in it and my wife still enjoys the wind in her hair.

Blue Baby Sound

A guy with a Jeep
The internet is a difficult way to diagnose issues. I can tell you I built the wife a new Jeep over the last month, 2016 JKWW with a 2.5" teraflex lift and the rancho control arm brackets. Jeep is stable at all speeds up to 85 (fastest I've gone)
I'm impressed with the Rancho brackets.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16031_1000_07.htm?sgsc=C6Z06ZR1C6Z06ZR1&utm_medium=compshop&utm_source=googlemerchant&gclid=Cj0KEQiAxMG1BRDFmu3P3qjwmeMBEiQAEzSDLg_AMXqntCbGk400k6eVZETyO8wXHd8KyS8nDZmQJpwaArGg8P8HAQ

Edit: we're still running the factory tires/wheels with spacers, we'll move to a 33" or 35" soon.

eternus

Observer
I don't think there is really a problem to diagnose, just an effort to make my solid axle Jeep drive like my IFS Subaru. The Metalcloak suspension i have already does wonders for bump steer and brake dive (my big handling concerns) and after driving to Denver and back this weekend I think I was mis-remembering where things start to suck. I go 75-80 without any issues, unless it's windy or a long hill. I'm going to put the OME shocks on and get rid of the Rubicon shocks and see if that kicks it up another notch. (c:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
So you really aren't going to sell the Wrangler, and get a new Tacoma?
Rats! Your wife was going to send me a $5 Starbucks card to convince you otherwise... lol Just totally kidding around. ;)
Glad you are sticking with the Jeep. There is nothing like hitting the trails with the top down. :beer:

If the OME don't suit your taste, The Rancho 9000XL are adjustable, and in October they usually have a sale "4 for the price of 3" through their vendors.

eternus

Observer
So you really aren't going to sell the Wrangler, and get a new Tacoma?
Rats! Your wife was going to send me a $5 Starbucks card to convince you otherwise... lol Just totally kidding around. ;)
Glad you are sticking with the Jeep. There is nothing like hitting the trails with the top down. :beer:

If the OME don't suit your taste, The Rancho 9000XL are adjustable, and in October they usually have a sale "4 for the price of 3" through their vendors.

Yah, if I would stop driving the Jeep and having fun doing it then it'd be a lot easier to go the Tacoma route. My wife isn't excited, but my kids are delighted. I'll be doing the OMEs in the next couple of months and even try to stick a rack up top in time for summer camping weather and will report back. My wife would probably be happy to see the Jeep gone so I stop trying to buy parts as well. (But she's naive if she thinks I would want to leave a Tacoma stock.)

Anyway, as soon as I can clear the snow from my side-driveway and the front of my shop then I can drag my little harbor freight trailer out and forget about trucks altogether. :)

mmmlafayette

Eternus, I would like to invite you to attend one of our TrailRidge Runner Meetings in Longmont. We are a club of about 50 families that meets once a month and has trips scheduled for much of the year. The information is here:

http://trr4wd.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?sl=440638413

We have quite a few members that have JK Unlimiteds with all types of lifts and tires. We also have a some Tacoma's so we are not prejudice. Our club president also owns Offroad Extreme in Longmont and can be very helpful with issues. I have a 2014 JKUR with 37's, strengthened front 44, 4:88s Tera Flex 4" Long Arm. Very comfortable at 75 and it pulls 65 on cruise control over Eisenhower and Vail. Hope you will stop by for a meeting.

DallasJKU

Adventurer

Driving a Jeep is not that great, but top off for me makes it the ideal vehicle plus I can change the look at anytime. I hardly go off road and I have a Rubicon with 37's. I wish the ride quality was better, but it still rides decent and predictable for a Jeep on 37's. Some people are just not Jeep people. I have many friends that would never drive one, but most of my friends and the kids I coach and every person I come in contact with compliment it. Most importantly my dog loves it. I also love the fact that I can bump into anything and not care. And if somebody bumps me it will destroy their vehicle.

da06a5a6a3ddf4d98fbaef4c7572d37f.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Driving a Jeep may not be that much fun, but riding in the back seat of a Jeep with your head out the window drooling down the side, is the next best thing to sniffing butts...
Says the dog in the back seat. :elkgrin:

I love driving the Jeep. It's sits up tall for a great view. The seating is ergonomically comfortable. With the rear view mirror removed, the view out the windshield is great. With the M.O.R.E. dead pedal i can move around inside, and every dirt road is a chance for adventure. What could be better than that! :)

eternus

Observer
Oh, that's great to learn about mmmlafayette. I'll definitely do my best to attend, I've been hoping to find a group to go play on the trails with... going solo is a bit concerning at my current skill level (especially with the available recovery options I have... none.) I'll go through the website to sign up.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Tire pressure has a lot to do with handling as well. Yesterday we drove 4 hrs, the first 2.5 were hell. I had the jeep in for some new goodies this week and the mechanics are dead set on putting my tire pressures at 40 psi. The jeep drove ..... OK ......until we hit the highway, then I was fighting it. Something was not "right". I stopped for the wife and mother in law to have a bathroom break, and I set my pressures. On my winters I put 32 front 36 rear. Difference was significant and noticeable right away. I am installing true tracs and 4.10s in my rig so that on the highway I get that little bit extra with 33s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat