Man Down! My 100 Series has been totaled

RotorHead04

Observer
I was out with the family for a Sunday drive enjoying the rare nice sunny cooler weather here in north Texas and ended up having to help an F-250 pulling a trailer slow down.... The F-250 was lifted with a ranch hand steel bumper (oddly enough the same bumper I have on my F-350). The impact hit above the rear bumper. It does not appear to have done any frame damage. The expensive parts looks like the rear quarter panel and cargo floor structure that are crunched. The rear quarter is shoved forward, down and out a little, pics don't do it justice.

The other driver has insurance, and I am waiting on them to come take a look at the truck. Just in case the other driver hasn't paid his premiums or some other crazy turn of events I called my insurance company to come take a look. They determined the cost to repair the vehicle was not worth it. They value the truck at about $9300 and stopped writing the estimate at $7k. The adjuster told me thats $7k visual only, not having taken anything apart, no supplements.... He said if I end up needing to use my insurance they vehicle will total, but see what the others guys insurance says. Thats where I am now.

Anyways, I figure the other company is going to end up at the same conclusion and will want to total my truck. Its my baby, but on paper its a 2000 model with just shy of 200k miles, they don't care about my feelings. I need some advice. As of now insurance values my vehicle at $9300. Maybe I can get that up a little, not sure this is all new territory for me. Do I take the money and replace the truck, or buy it back and keep it as a trail rig / parts truck / daily beater and save a few $$$ and buy another nice one for the family? Sounds like buy back would be in the neighborhood of $2,500. Is it worth it? If I buy it back I'll need parts. Does anyone have a rear hatch, tail lights, or quarter panel laying around? I know these are rare as is, Im assuming parts will be few and far between. At the moment the rear lights work enough to be legal. All I need to do is build a makeshift rear window to keep rain, rodents, and trash out of the back. Top gate still opens, lower one is jammed shut.

What I like about keeping it:

Its paid for, plenty left over to quickly save to buy the wife a nice replacement.
Truck is mechanically solid, reliable, and doesn't burn oil.
This would become my daily driver, big, sold, and reliable.
Complete parts truck for when I get the wife another nicer one.
Optional - Would only have to fix it enough to make rear lower hatch work, my daily beater.

What I don't like about keeping it:

Salvage title for resale later on.
Selling my high 20 mpg daily driver for this fuel pig. Going from $0.07 a mile to drive vs $0.13 a mile.
One more thing to worry about.
Optional - How much it is going to cost me to fix it enough for the rear lower hatch to work. Tracking down parts.

Whats everyones opinion. Im on the fence and need help deciding. The wife is fine with either option. Thanks!

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3178.jpg

IMG_3171.jpg

IMG_3180.jpg

Klierslc

Explorer
What is your current dd?

I'd keep it and use it as a camping/wheeling rig as long as you have the space for 3 vehicles. You can get another 2000 with similar miles for under 10k easy. Use the excess to repair this one. I would advise against selling the current dd either way. If you can only have/want two vehicles, take the money and run.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
First off, auto insurance laws vary by state so the following are suggestions based on my limited experience in states other than Texas.
1) There is some wiggle room in the final value for totaling a vehicle. If you're headed towards total write-off, ask for the comparables they used to set the value. Book price isn't very reliable. In the one vehicle I had that got totaled, the adjuster gave me a list of 5 comparable available vehicles complete with why they adjusted the value as compared to mine.
2) If you really want to keep it, talk to the adjuster about settling for a set amount even knowing it won't pay for the repairs. They will want you to sign acknowledging that this is a final amount and you will waive the right to go back for additional damages. This potentially avoids the issue of a salvage title since this is not selling them the vehicle for total value and then buying it back but instead settling for a lesser payout. (Texas law may or may not allow this option.) I did this many years ago on an older vehicle that was unlikely to be able to find repair parts.
3) My experience is that adjusters generally want to get the claim settled and move on rather than spend significant time trying to negotiate every single penny on the table. Like many professional dealings, reasonableness goes a long way.
Good luck and certainly your experiences may be different.

I know that there is an emotional attachment involved but I do wonder how much difference a salvage title really makes on a 16 year old vehicle with 200K miles.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
If you salvage a 200K mile truck are you really worried about resale anyway...If you went that route it sounds it is because you are emotionally attached to the vehicle and want to keep it forever...

M35A2

Tinkerer
Disagree. Fix it. That is not so bad.

Shopping wisely and doing add-on work yourself, and you will find a shop willing to do it for maybe $6K.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Let it go. Take the money and get the next one!

Spoken like a true JK owner! :sombrero:

If you can buy it back for $2500, I'd jump on it. Who cares about resale if you get a 100 for $2500??? Just find a good wrecker and ask them to find you an upper hatch, then teach yourself how to do body work. A $2500 car is a great place to learn!

Make a custom swingout tailgate/rear hatch/ spare tire carrier if you keep it. As a trail rig it would be sweet if you can buy it back cheap. As someone mentioned, resale value at that point wont matter. If you document the build and mods after this point and ever decide to sell it, a 100 enthusiast may still be interested. Car-part.com can help you find that upper and lower hatch.

lugueto

Adventurer
Its hard to believe from the pictures that they stopped writing the estimate at ~$7k, especially when there is no frame damage.

Let's hope the estimate from the other guy's insurance suits you better.

I don't think it'd be a hard fix, I'd say repair it yourself if the insurance companies decide to total it.

dms1

Explorer
Last time my 4Runner was rear ended, I took it to the Auto Body place my Insurance co said to take it to to get an estimate. The guy at the auto body place started taking notes and finally said he was going to declare it a total. I was not happy about that and told him I was going to keep it and take it somewhere else to have it fixed. Next thing I know he is telling me they could get it fix for me with my current insurance. YMMV

Adventurous

Explorer
I'd buy it back, hammer out the dents where possible, buy new parts where not, bank the $5K you'll get and run it til it does. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot to lose in this scenario.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad