Manifold Cooking

dustboy

Explorer
The OP mentioned on-board hot water..What about wrapping some copper tube around the manifold and circulating water from a tank?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Well, we cooked a little in Death Valley. On the way out we cooked 2 corn on the cobs and 1 hot pocket. After the 5 hour drive they were perfect. The corn was super tasty and steamed perfect. Left the husk on. The next day we headed to the race track and cooked for another 3 hours... hot pockets again and some brats. The brats did not cook. So i guess with our particular basket we need to cook microwavable foods :D It doesn't get hot enough to grill or cook meat.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Yeah they were! LOL

They were under the hood from 9am-6pm all day on the trail... still undercooked and nasty when we got back. Warm though :D

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
So after reading this thread and seeing the hotdooger, I did a search for cookers. This one seems to be a bit bigger than the hotdogger and has an interesting name

http://www.craiggerbuilt.com/shop/html/MUFFPOT-12-1822-WPS180-08.html

might have to try it and see..:drool:

Looking at this one, IMHO I think the closer you can get (right on top of it) to the manifold, the better it is. More heat there. Temp drops considerably from the manifold back as the metal heat transfers and there is more air circulating while driving.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
What I dimly recall from thermodynamics is that like a lot of things, heat energy varies with the inverse of the square of the distance. So 2X further away = 4X less heat energy and 4X further away = 16X less heat energy.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
What I dimly recall from thermodynamics is that like a lot of things, heat energy varies with the inverse of the square of the distance. So 2X further away = 4X less heat energy and 4X further away = 16X less heat energy.

Right-On Mate!

luk4mud

Explorer
So after reading this thread and seeing the hotdooger, I did a search for cookers. This one seems to be a bit bigger than the hotdogger and has an interesting name

http://www.craiggerbuilt.com/shop/html/MUFFPOT-12-1822-WPS180-08.html

might have to try it and see..:drool:

That looks interesting. My FJ80 is at the fab shop right now getting a mild makeover- rear tire/ can carrier, skids, fairlead mod and a custom manifold cooker. I'll let you know how it turns out after the tests. :chef:

luk4mud

Explorer
Well, we cooked a little in Death Valley. On the way out we cooked 2 corn on the cobs and 1 hot pocket. After the 5 hour drive they were perfect. The corn was super tasty and steamed perfect. Left the husk on. The next day we headed to the race track and cooked for another 3 hours... hot pockets again and some brats. The brats did not cook. So i guess with our particular basket we need to cook microwavable foods :D It doesn't get hot enough to grill or cook meat.

Dave, do you happen to have a pic of your cooker you could post? My experience cooking on the Jeep motor was the same as you- burritos etc but no raw meat.

pkelly72

Adventurer
I've got headers and they get HOT. Do you think this would be a problem? I'm sure I could cook something with that much heat.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Looking into the Hot Dogger for the 4Runner, man I can see it now hot Amy's burrito's for breakfast heck yea!

Aaron

luk4mud

Explorer
OK, we gave my new manifold box a good workout this last weekend on Mohave Road.

Friday: burritos (5 or 6)
Saturday: corn dogs (4), roasted garlic/ rosemary potatoes
Sunday: hot dogs (10), leftover bbq beef, burrito

It cooks/ warms a little hot on the bottom, so I need to work on that. maybe a small internal heat shield or something. Otherwise, it works great.

I bought some of those little foil takeout- style containers from Smart and Final, I'm gonna try soup or chili next.

Then I'll start working on the cookbook ...

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Right on dude. I need to get down there and have Octavio make me one.

Any other "better" photos besides the ones he posted on mud?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach