Mauka2Makai - Our Quest Begins...An 80 Series Adventure

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
I like those fist clamps but how secure are they...I was thinking about one down by my seat but was worried in an accident that it might become a loose missile...

Flagster, With the use of two Quick Fists (as per their web site) they have the ability to support up to 50 lbs. I'm fairly confident that the Maglite will be held secure in most given situations. Now if the Maglite was secured using Maglites own brackets I'd be worried.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
I have really enjoyed reading your write ups and seeing your vehicle evolve and progress. Your work so far has been first class. If i may pass one small comment. In your dual battery installation, you have placed the red (positive) terminal close to the fender wall. We normally use reverse pole batteries and make sure that the positive terminal is inboard (facing the engine) This prevents any short circuits or fire hazard should you be involved in any incident that pushes the bodywork against the positive side of the battery
Hope that this helps
I look forward to seeing more of your build in the future
Best regards
Stephen

Thank you... I appreciate your suggestion and will keep this in mind.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Weekend in Mojave

Sometimes the day to day grind of work and school can be very consuming and draining, leaving only an occasional weekend free for a quick get away. And sometimes all that's needed is a quick get away to help take your mind off that day to day grind of work and school. A weekend in Mojave was all we needed... A brief escape from that daily grind.

We started our day at the Kelso Depot visitor cent with a self tour of the station.

It's crazy to think Kelso Depot was built here due to the abundance of water in the area.

Lots of information of the days past, native cactus, and region specific animals. All good stuff!

Not much has changed in being "well-equiped". Cool photo

Kelso Depot has been beautifully restored and maintained to reflect it's original appearance of the mid twenties. Highly recommend a visit while in Mojave.

Spent a bit of time exploring the area around Mid Hills campground.

This rock formation en route to Mid Hills made for a great spot to let the boys to climb about. Two fire rings are also located here, would make a great location to camp as well.

Mid Hills campground spot 25. My favorite spot.

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Now that's more like it :)

Nice trip, are you guys back in a ground tent now with the RTT gone? How's that transition been?

ab1985

Explorer
Great update as always. I am really digging the flares and could see myself going that route someday.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Weekend in Mojave cont

We were packed and ready to leave our house by 8 am... As we loaded the boys into their car seats, I broke the bad news to my wife that the passenger seat became stuck in the forward most position and not able to move to back. There was no way in hell my wife was going to endure the drive with six inches of leg room... thankfully she opted for riding center position second row. Just moved all the gear there to the front seat and continued the drive as a chauffeur to Mojave. I have since fixed the front passenger seat... removed it, found seat cover tangled in for and aft gear, sprayed out connectors, reinstalled, and seat works as new now. With my wife sitting in the back she was able to better engage the boys enabling in one of the smoothest non commotion drives we've ever had... I missed having my wife as co driver though.

We made it to Mid Hills campground spot 25 and were finally able to set up and field test out or new Black Pine-Pine Deluxe 6-Turbo Tent.

Believe it! This tent packed width wise in back of the LC.

Set up and take down was straight forward and simple.

Less time setting up means more time hanging out.

Lots of room on the inside allowing the ability to really stretch out for a good night sleep.

We burned through two bundles of wood that night just hanging out by the fire.

Something photogenic about a leafless tree.

Next morning we packed up shop and made our way down to Mojave Road. Our plan was to travel the central portion Mojave Road (between Kelso Cima rd. on to Kelbaker rd).

Enjoy the Video. Mojave road just off of Kelso Cima road.

Our first destination would be Marl Springs. Originally I had planned to drink some water, but without any purification I passed. The water was extremely overtaken by algae, still looked refreshingly cool though.

The highlight of the weekend would be the search for the elusive Mojave Road frog shrine...I played it up for the boys to give them something to look forward to.

My boys weren't the only one's amused by all the frogs. Next time we'll make a contribution.

The flowers on this Mojave mound cactus near the frog shrine were bursting with vibrant color, it really stood out from the surrounding prominent colors of browns and greens of the area.

Wife logged us in the mailbox registry, we had turkey wraps for lunch, and the boys continued to just enjoy the company of the frogs. From the mailbox it wasn't much further to Kelso Cima road where we followed to fuel up in Baker and head home. In just a short weekend we were able to test out our new tent and give it a thumbs up approval, get some trail time on the new Coopers, but most importantly breakup the monotonous cycle of work and school. Keeping fingers crossed for a week long tour through Arizona at the end of summer... that's what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Great pics and report- thanks for sharing!

I love the tent, have you considered using cots now that you have a fairly large tent? There's a Disc-o-Cot that converts to a bunk bed, I bet the kids would love that. Though it's a bit on the spendy side and why I haven't bougt it yet. Well that and the fact that my tent is too small for cots so I'm trying to decide which tent to go with. I was planning to get a Coleman Insta-up 6 because of how easy it is to setup and can't beat the price but after seeing your's I gotta have one with an extended canopy!

BTW, what cooler and table do you use?

Good stuff as always!... I collected some water from that spring into an empty jug, from water that was slowly flowing from the pipe, not from the water in the basic itself. I Boiled *and* filtered it before drinking it and it still had an interesting mineral taste.

I'm sure you've experienced two downsides to switching to a ground tent from an RTT: Having to pack up all the sleeping bags, sleeping pads, etc. which is time-consuming... And then all that stuff (along with the tent) tales up a fair amount of interior cargo space. The 80 has plenty of room in the cargo area so that's not a big deal for me, I just had rolling up the pads and bags and pillows and such when it happens days after day on a trip.

Of course, there are positives as well... Pesky trade-offs!

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Come on Makai, spill the beans, Hannibal awning?? Let's see some pics!!
Bueller, Bueller. LOL

Blackwater, I wish I had some pics... I'm patiently waiting myself. :sombrero:

Great pics and report- thanks for sharing!

I love the tent, have you considered using cots now that you have a fairly large tent? There's a Disc-o-Cot that converts to a bunk bed, I bet the kids would love that. Though it's a bit on the spendy side and why I haven't bougt it yet. Well that and the fact that my tent is too small for cots so I'm trying to decide which tent to go with. I was planning to get a Coleman Insta-up 6 because of how easy it is to setup and can't beat the price but after seeing your's I gotta have one with an extended canopy!
BTW, what cooler and table do you use?

Stioc, Thank you... We have considered using cots, but the problem with cots for us is that they will take up even more space and weight when packed... in comparison to a couple of mats and most importantly wont be able to sleep next to my wife. I'm sure the boys would get a kick out of a bunk bed cot, but I know they'd end up on the mattress later in the night next to us. For solo trips I'm actually looking into a cot tent or maybe just a swag... so the whole idea of a cot isn't lost, just not for use with the family. The Black Pine is significantly more than the Coleman, but a great compromise in price with out a sacrifice in quality and craftsmanship when compared with Oz and Jet tents. I am completely satisfied with this purchase, It's an awesome tent that will serve it's purpose well for years to come. The cooler and table's are both Coleman, the cooler was another Cosco find that I'm stoked with.

Good stuff as always!... I collected some water from that spring into an empty jug, from water that was slowly flowing from the pipe, not from the water in the basic itself. I Boiled *and* filtered it before drinking it and it still had an interesting mineral taste.

I'm sure you've experienced two downsides to switching to a ground tent from an RTT: Having to pack up all the sleeping bags, sleeping pads, etc. which is time-consuming... And then all that stuff (along with the tent) tales up a fair amount of interior cargo space. The 80 has plenty of room in the cargo area so that's not a big deal for me, I just had rolling up the pads and bags and pillows and such when it happens days after day on a trip.

Of course, there are positives as well... Pesky trade-offs!

Dave, Thank you, I meant to fill up a water bottle to filter later... just got caught up and forgot about. I'll remember next time though. I do miss the RTT... I don't miss taking it down though. We have double wide sleeping bag that was jus too big to keep in the tent when stowed. If anything was in the tent... it made closing especially with the T-top that much more of a pain in the ********. If we ever get another RTT it will be a 1400 size or smaller with no T-top. I don't like rolling up sleeping bags or mats either... guess its just part of camping.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
I've got a Hannibal rack and awning to install, Oh Yeah... Anyone want to lend a hand for pizza and beer for helping lift the rack? We'll shoot for this Thurs-Sun, Let me know. Thank you in advance. I live in Seal Beach, Cali.

stioc

Expedition Leader
If you need more bodies I can make some time on Sun. PM me with your phone#. BTW I used to live right off Seal Beach blvd, there used to be a Spires at the corner and a dollar movie theater nearby but last time I passed by things have changed a lot.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I've got a Hannibal rack and awning to install, Oh Yeah... Anyone want to lend a hand for pizza and beer for helping lift the rack? We'll shoot for this Thurs-Sun, Let me know. Thank you in advance. I live in Seal Beach, Cali.

You may not have thought of this but it's not too hard to do alone when you have the gutters. Set up the support rails and cross bars on the vehicle (they sort of link together to stay set without bolts). Then just lift the bare rack onto them starting at the side. The rack is only 80 lbs if that. It's really not too hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk