Maximizing space in a mid-sized SUV

IHDiesel73L

Adventurer
My wife and I are looking for a Kia Sorento for her DD/our family vehicle. Right now it will mostly get her to work and get all four of us (me, her, our two month old, and the dog) to grandma's. This Christmas we'll be doing it in her Toyota Corolla-50 miles north to grandma number 1 on Christmas morning, and 110 miles south to grandma number 2 for Christmas dinner :eek: Aside from just general people moving though, the Sorento is a stout little 4x4 and worthy of light overland adventures of the sort we like to venture out on (local backroads, the Great North Woods, etc...), but still the Sorento is only a mid-size, so interior space is at a premium. The vehicle will accept a Class III hitch (the 3.8L V6 models will tow 5000lbs) so that will be the first mod followed by a quality hitch hauler that can hold 500lbs. I'm not worried about departure angles because we won't be doing anything that crazy in the wife's grocery getter. Next will be a basket type roof rack. Those are the most obvious solutions, but what might I be overlooking? I am thinking that for long trips the layout will be me in the driver's seat, my wife in the passenger seat or vice versa, our daughter in the seat behind me (backseat is a 60/40 split fold down) and the middle/passenger side seat folded down with a dog bed on top. That way our lab will have room to stretch out but there will still be room for cargo in the rear. I'd love to see pics of others with mid-size vehicles and any novel solutions they've come up with.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Storage plaftorm potential with drawers or using rubbermaids as drawers might be an option. Don't forget to use up all that space in the rear footwell since neither the dog nor your daughter need it.

How long are your trips? 2 adults, a child and a dog should easily be able to get away in a midsize SUV, roof rack/cargo basket is gravy.

-Sam

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
As much as I like plastic totes for organizing gear, their inability to conform to the interior of vehicles can cause space issues. I assume you only want to fill up 1/2 of the back to save room for your dog to stretch our between there and the back seat. You might be able to build a divider which would separate the rear area and allow you to stack up totes and bags up to the ceiling without them falling over onto your dog or your child.

You could also remove the seat and backrest from the unused rear seat and make a simple wood platform for your dog to sit on and you could store more gear under it.

Just some thoughts.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
You might be able to build a divider which would separate the rear area and allow you to stack up totes and bags up to the ceiling without them falling over onto your dog or your child.

Yes! This really helps use all that vertical space.

Another thing you can try is a wire cage for the dog. Assuming you can fit one that is not too confining for Fido, having the dog in there allows for stacking items up the sides and even on top of the cage without the danger of a luggage avalanche.

If you only have two people and a dog I have found that the best course is to leave the rear seats up. I load the seat area with all the long stuff crossways (golf clubs, camping chairs, folding cots, tents, duffels, etc.). The rear seat area can be loaded almost to the ceiling, especially if you extend the rear headrests up as high as they go. Meanwhile, Fido lounges in the cargo area along with a cooler or two.

Last edited:

IHDiesel73L

Adventurer
Still working on interior organization myself, but i found my ideal hitch carrier.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ch/116915-rola-59502-hitch-cargo-carrier.html

Fits 2" hitch, 600lb max capacity, can be fitted with trailer lights, and has a place to relocate your license plate when you're really loaded up. Not a lightweight piece at +60lbs empty, but it is buff.

NICE! Thanks for posting. With the distance from the hitch itself you could probably even open the swing up door on the Sorento with a load on! That's definitely going on my list along with this: http://www.surcoinc.com/R-BR_SR5.html I like the crate idea too-I'll have to test it out. The other option would be building some sort of dividers.

fishEH

Explorer
I made a raised floor with storage underneath. This was really the only way to go because most of the available space in my Disco is vertical. I also bought a dog guard. Not because I have a dog but to keep gear from falling on my childrens heads, LOL.
utf-8BSU1BRzAwMTAuanBn.jpg

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Oh man - this is a quest for me as well. I have tried about every durable tote and cargo box sold in the free world since I generally carry tools and recovery gear on board for those impromptu adventures! Ultimately, there is no substitute for a drawer. Some have two or more drawers, but the space consumed by the extra hinges and supports eat a lot of room. I'm no carpenter, so I found a guy that is building a large, single drawer cabinet to my specs using HEAVY duty sliders and no bottom (save a little weight) I'll carpet the top for traction for when things (like some of the many totes) ride on top and I'll bolt the fires extinguisher and clip the BOB to the drawer cabinet as well.

On racks - I have had a few rigs - Range Rovers, Discoveries, a '95 4Runner, an FJ60 and two 80's. Racks are indispensable! However, I have learned first hand there is a glamor tax with overland gear. Some stuff justifies the premium (lighting, well designed suspensions, etc) while other stuff is insane - like racks. I have had $2K+ racks that did no more than my humble Yakima Mega Warrior with extension and three load bars. It is light weight but will still carry more than you should ever put on the roof - RTT, fuel, pelican cases et al go with no problems. So, I just offer this for your consideration as you look around for solutions. There is a whole lot of money to be wasted in the world of over landing.

JamesDowning

Explorer
This isn't really a storage solution per se, but really make sure you are going to use or need everything that you're packing. Since our last big trip, I've tried simplifying things a bit, which helps some. Kitchens and food is one area that can get really out of hand.

I'd also agree completely with Beau about creating a replacement for the 60% rear seat. A simple plywood platform will give you much more efficient use of the space than the folded seats will. In your situation, that's one of the first things I would do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater