Maxtrax - Where's the best place to buy here in U.S.?

High_Country

Adventurer
I'm interested in purchasing some Maxtrax. I can obviously order them from Maxtrax in Australia but it doesn't say how much shipping would be (you have to submit an order). I'd have to think it would be cheaper to find them at a U.S. dealer. The only one I've found online is Sierra Expeditions but they only show 'desert tan'. So....where should I get these and how do I get the best deal?

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
MAXTRAX are distributed by Outback Proven in the US, but available at Sierra Expeditions, Southeast Overland, Cruiser Outfitters, and several others.

High_Country

Adventurer
Thanks Boost Creep (and others). I didn't think to go to the 'order' link to find dealers or....."stockists" as they must be called down under. :D

Thanks again...

VATACO

Adventurer
Bit off topic, but are they suitable for using as ladders? Not so much worried about getting bogged down as I am about being able to get across old water pipes and such.

craig333

Expedition Leader
From looking at them, reading about them, I'd say no. Kinda depends I think. Just one tire or two? Length of the crossing. If its something you do regularly I think I'd look at another option. Of course if you just have to get across you toss em down and hope for the best.

Eventhough

Explorer
Bit off topic, but are they suitable for using as ladders? Not so much worried about getting bogged down as I am about being able to get across old water pipes and such.

I've used MAXTRAX numerous times effectively as ladders. We definitely used MAXTRAX as ladders this past weekend at the Overland Rally in NC. If using one you need to support it somehow (we used rocks) and two stacked worked well alone. We had a Trailblazer in the rock garden at Crawfords Campground north of Murphy NC that needed a little help getting out and two sets (4 total) MAXTRAX almost did it. In the end the Trailblazer got hung up and had to get an easy pull out but I was really impressed with seeing a Trailblazer wheel and also the effectiveness of the MAXTRAX. Unfortunately I don't have any pics as I was helping to get the truck out but if I can get a few I'll post them up.

Jamin_GX

Adventurer
Came here with this exact question in mind -- glad to see this thread. So, next question...is 2 sufficient? I see videos of people using four, one under each wheel. Overkill or worth justifying the ~$600 investment?

Eventhough

Explorer
Came here with this exact question in mind -- glad to see this thread. So, next question...is 2 sufficient? I see videos of people using four, one under each wheel. Overkill or worth justifying the ~$600 investment?

I think 2 is enough for most applications. Buy two (one set) and save $300 for something else. There are always plenty of places to spend $$$ with an off road rig.

Now a few weekends ago we did use 4, or was it 6, total MAXTRAX to try and get a vehicle out of a rock garden. It was nice having all the MAXTRAX around, but for most applications 2 will do you nicely.

NC_IslandRunner

SE Expedition Society
I think 2 is enough for most applications. Buy two (one set) and save $300 for something else. There are always plenty of places to spend $$$ with an off road rig.

Now a few weekends ago we did use 4, or was it 6, total MAXTRAX to try and get a vehicle out of a rock garden. It was nice having all the MAXTRAX around, but for most applications 2 will do you nicely.

That was fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater