MB 1120 Coming to America! Purchase, Build and Now Travel!

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Right here in N.C.! Too funny, read the Wikipedia page about it. They have even installed a warning light that warns over-height vehicles, and people still hit it. Known as "The Can Opener".

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Moved the truck to the marina in preparation for the trip to the Bahamas. Did not climb up onto the roof but here is a side profile of the truck with the A/C mounted. Might make a small cage to protect it from limbs, will see. At one point I thought I found a place that made an aftermarket shroud out of aluminum, but can't find it again.

Here is one from on top of that step ladder.

And, if you are at all curious here is our original "expedition vehicle", I mean this thing really goes "off-road". Hopefully in a couple of weeks I can post a picture or two in a more exotic location.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Might make a small cage to protect it from limbs, will see.

Our truck had a cage protecting the AC which really ate up the roof space. We ended up taking the cage and the AC off in favor of a fan and as much solar as we could fit. But I still have that cage here if it’s of any use to you.

dba37587fdbe677adb089ba2f6606dbb.jpg

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Interested in the length of your wheelbase, measured from the center of each wheel. Our cabin doesn’t hang so far out back as yours. We’d like a longer-wider cabin than what we have.

Attachments

• B6987B09-C937-40D4-B625-9E8EAD0FDD16.jpeg
    B6987B09-C937-40D4-B625-9E8EAD0FDD16.jpeg
    972.8 KB · Views: 73

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Our truck had a cage protecting the AC which really ate up the roof space. We ended up taking the cage and the AC off in favor of a fan and as much solar as we could fit. But I still have that cage here if it’s of any use to you.
Thanks for the nice offer, but if I do one it will be just a couple smallish aluminum pipes bent to conform with the shape of the shroud. Plan right now is 800 watts of solar with space for another 200 (which I might just do and get it done). The solar panel place was reluctant to ship me an odd number of panels as they shipped in pairs. I see now they are offering singles so might just go for it.

Interested in the length of your wheelbase, measured from the center of each wheel. Our cabin doesn’t hang so far out back as yours. We’d like a longer-wider cabin than what we have.
I'll try and remember to do this tomorrow. The back bottom angle of the box is right at the end of the chassis. With that angle and the smaller front one I was able to get to 17' outside dimension. I kept the width of the habitat to the width of the plastic fenders on the cab of the truck, so 2" shy of 8'. I think this size is just big enough to allow a fixed queen bed, nice size seating area and a dry bath without feeling too cramped (all relative). Also without being too tricky or clever with the layout, it is a pretty basic. So far I am pretty pleased with the layout and I think it will work well.

As for order updates, we just received the 12.2 gallon fixed propane tank that will be mounted under the habitat behind the rear tire. Also the final heat exchanger from the UK, for some reason they have all the interesting heat exchangers in the UK.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Well we are back from the Bahamas, good trip but a lot of sailing. Anyway, the build is back on, full speed ahead. Off in a few minutes to talk with the welder about when to start (under habitat boxes, rear tire/motorbike rack, roof rails and cab roof rack). Did a bit of CAD (cardboard aided design) on the under habitat boxes. This side the rear will hold a Kuuma Profile 150 propane BBQ, other side will be similar and house the fixed propane tank. The indent beneath the door will be the space for the entry ladder. There is 22" from the bottom of the panels to the ground, could get more but the fuel tank is already a bit lower (might need to rethink the tank).

Also think I have settled on an aluminum rail on the top edge of the habitat. Will protect the corner from limbs and make a great place to bolt the outside edge of the solar panels to. I ended up ordering another 200 watt panel, so will now have a total of 1,000 watts of the bifacial panels, pretty much covering the roof.

Also been back and forth about the A/C for the truck cab. Dometic sells a really nice looking 24v truck cab A/C everywhere else than North America. Have started to look into possibly importing one from Europe. I could install the 24V unit myself and avoid pulling the front engine cradle to modify for a compressor.

Thinking something like this for the rear tire rack. Anyone have any thoughts on how to build the sliding rails?

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Nice A/C setup, $2700!! Looks like the battery cable option is the way to go for us. Tap into our four AGM 4d house batteries. Setup is 24v perfect. Now need to talk to my wife!

Sitec

Adventurer
Thinking something like this for the rear tire rack. Anyone have any thoughts on how to build the sliding rails?
View attachment 517488

Hi fella. Welcome back. Loving the 'CAD' effort. Nothing like full scale props to aid visualization!! So, re rear mast, I think I was chatting to another poster on another thread a few weeks ago about the mast... I am making a system for the back of mine, which will carry twin spare wheels and the rear bumper. I have access to some nice sealed rollers out of Krone BigPack straw balers, so will be making my mast out of folded 6mm to suit the rollers I have. If this does not work out, I'd planned to buy one of those walk behind forklifts with a mast. They have a compact mast (approx 4" x 2" c section), and would come with the ram and (if you find the right one) a 24v motor, tank and spool. The 'tine side' of the mast is usually proud, or has a tine carriage with rollers in it already. The outer mast could be chopped to suit the height of your living box, and then the inner mast becomes a 'drop mast' and comes out of the bottom. There'd be a bit of thought/fabrication to make it work, but it would... :) Scale pic attached of the rear of my truck. The body got chopped and the cutout has started to be fabricated last night.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Nice A/C setup, $2700!! Looks like the battery cable option is the way to go for us. Tap into our four AGM 4d house batteries. Setup is 24v perfect. Now need to talk to my wife!
Well, only problem is getting one into North America(looks like you might be from AZ). Contacted Dometic USA and no luck. Tried an Australian reseller and they will not ship to the US. Next step is to check with a couple of European companies (Spain, which my Spanish is limited and the UK).

Met with the welder/fabricator to try and carve out some of his time. He is pretty busy so I need to get as much grunt work done and just use his skills for the parts I can not do (like really high quality welding). So I started to dig into the details with the lifting tire rack and what I have come across is the Hevi-Rail system (I actually have a local distributor). Looks like a good candidate for the sliding "linear bearing system". Depending on the various sizes each roller bearing can handle tons. Thinking I might go with the ~4" side rails and 2 rollers on each side (I am not a mechanical engineer, this is just spitball stuff). If I hang the side down a bit to the top of the subframe like the truck below then I should get about 3' of overlap on the rails which I think will be ok (the top of the subframe is 42" from the ground). Anyway that is the current plan and I am definitely open to suggestions. I also found Warn sells an industrial hoist, the DC1200, which I can get in 24v and operates both in and out. This is probably the simplest solution, but again and open to suggestions.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Hi fella. Welcome back. Loving the 'CAD' effort. Nothing like full scale props to aid visualization!! So, re rear mast, I think I was chatting to another poster on another thread a few weeks ago about the mast... I am making a system for the back of mine, which will carry twin spare wheels and the rear bumper. I have access to some nice sealed rollers out of Krone BigPack straw balers, so will be making my mast out of folded 6mm to suit the rollers I have. If this does not work out, I'd planned to buy one of those walk behind forklifts with a mast. They have a compact mast (approx 4" x 2" c section), and would come with the ram and (if you find the right one) a 24v motor, tank and spool. The 'tine side' of the mast is usually proud, or has a tine carriage with rollers in it already. The outer mast could be chopped to suit the height of your living box, and then the inner mast becomes a 'drop mast' and comes out of the bottom. There'd be a bit of thought/fabrication to make it work, but it would... :) Scale pic attached of the rear of my truck. The body got chopped and the cutout has started to be fabricated last night.

Thanks Sitec, I think we posted almost at the same time. Check out the Hevi-Rail system. I really like the looks of the bearings as each bearing has two rollers. One in the typical place and then one in the face to take care of side loads, so even if the truck is not level it should not matter. Not cheap (for 4 rollers and rails it will be about $1200 for parts) but pretty slick looking.

And by the way, love your drawings, you definitely have an eye for detail. Looking forward to watching your build!

luthj

Engineer In Residence
If they won't ship to USA, just find a mail/freight forwarding service. Have it shipped there, then they will forward to your stateside address.

You might check to see if kingtec has any units that meet your needs.
http://www.kingtecusa.com/

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
If they won't ship to USA, just find a mail/freight forwarding service. Have it shipped there, then they will forward to your stateside address.

You might check to see if kingtec has any units that meet your needs.
http://www.kingtecusa.com/
Thanks. I had started to think about that. I actually did the reverse when we were in New Zealand, had a US based consolidator package up a pallet and ocean freight it to Auckland. Something like $300 for the complete pallet and as we were on a visiting boat all duty free. Made working on the boat way cheaper though we had to plan ahead.

I just sent an email to Kingtec asking about their K20D1 24v DC rooftop unit. The details on the website are a bit thin so hoping to get more info.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
We have friends in Germany that we can have it shipped to, and ship to us. Could arrange that for you. We’ve done it for parts for our rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven