Me and the Moonlander!

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Well I must admit I feel bad about jumping ship on the Moonlander. My latest obsession has become the mountain unicycle. It's currently keeping me active and that is a good thing. I'll post up a few more photographs of my adventures on the Nimbus Oregon. Feel free to comment on whether I should continue posting about my activities, even if they are not related to the title. So with that I give you the Oregon.

Jan222013-Muni-SwitchbackTrail3-0040343_zps132976af.jpg

Switchback Trail - La Costa Preserve

Jan232013-Muni-Coast5-0030142_zps0859b631.jpg

Coastal Ride

Jan242013-Muni-LakeHodges-0010093_zpsec4dd754.jpg

Lake Hodges

Jan12013-Muni-0010025_zpsea97765f.jpg

San Elijo Hills

Jan232013-Giraffe3-0120576_zps0835cd37.jpg

I have also encouraged my boys to learn, as well as several neighbor kids. Ethan's first day on the 5' giraffe, Nathan having a blast on the 16" red unicycle, and Nick on his orange blizzard.

And here is a video I just filmed the other day. It will give you an idea of what this really looks like.

[video]http://vimeo.com/user10659806/otg-muni-streamcrossing[/video]

What ever you are riding, have fun and enjoy your day!

NotAMog

Observer
Moonlander in its natural element

Well since Hwy 58 was closed and I couldn't make it into work this morning :) oh wait.... I mean :( (just in case anyone from work is reading this), I thought I'd take advantage of the situation and tryout the Moonlander in it's natural element, the snow! After all, it was originally designed as a snow bike for Minnesota.

IMG_0957.jpg

It worked surprisingly well. The only times it slipped was where cars had compacted the snow into solid ice. Otherwise, it just plowed through or floated over everything else. The snow was pretty soft and it got hard to pedal through it when it was much more that 6" deep. The stability on the road transitioning from wet car tracks to crud to untouched snow was excellent. A couple of times when I expected the front wheel to slide transitioning from a car track into fresh snow it just plowed right through.

It leaves quite a track itself.

IMG_0959.jpg

Gear

Nice, looks cold. Hope to see you at the Desert Rendezvous. :wavey:

Sportfury

What is the difference?

Great thread. The Moonlander looks like a lot of fun. I went to their site and see they have the Moonlander and the Pugsley. They both look the same to me and the descriptions don't do much, so what is the difference? Is the Moonlander newer and better or is the Pugsley? How much does a complete bike cost? Thanks for the information.

Great thread. The Moonlander looks like a lot of fun. I went to their site and see they have the Moonlander and the Pugsley. They both look the same to me and the descriptions don't do much, so what is the difference? Is the Moonlander newer and better or is the Pugsley? How much does a complete bike cost? Thanks for the information.

The major difference between the 2 is that the Moonlander has 100 mm rims (Clown Shoes) and will run a 4.8" tire (Bud or Lou) or 4.7" (Big Fat Larry) front and rear. You can squeeze one of these tires into the back of a Pugs, but not on a 100 mm rim. You could argue that the Pugs is a more versatile bike because of a lot more tire and rim choices. The stock Moonlander is lighter than the Pugs, it's also more expensive. I bought my Moonlander a little over a month ago and it was hard to find and $2450 with the Surly build kit. I'm not sure of the Pugs with a build kit.

Gear

The major difference between the 2 is that the Moonlander has 100 mm rims (Clown Shoes) and will run a 4.8" tire (Bud or Lou) or 4.7" (Big Fat Larry) front and rear. You can squeeze one of these tires into the back of a Pugs, but not on a 100 mm rim. You could argue that the Pugs is a more versatile bike because of a lot more tire and rim choices. The stock Moonlander is lighter than the Pugs, it's also more expensive. I bought my Moonlander a little over a month ago and it was hard to find and $2450 with the Surly build kit. I'm not sure of the Pugs with a build kit.

Thanks for giving the quick feedback for Sportfury. The only other thing that I would add is the Moonlander only has 2 front chain rings(18 speed). This limits the top speed to about 24 mph. The Pugsley with the narrower tires has room for all 3 front chain rings(27 speed). I think they are both Cool!

Sportfury

Thanks for giving the quick feedback for Sportfury. The only other thing that I would add is the Moonlander only has 2 front chain rings(18 speed). This limits the top speed to about 24 mph. The Pugsley with the narrower tires has room for all 3 front chain rings(27 speed). I think they are both Cool!

Thanks for the feedback. $2450 whew pretty steep, but it looks like a lot of fun.

Gear

I just noticed this thread - that's right behind my house, I love hiking my dog up there!

Love the bike, too, I'm trying to rationalize getting one.

PM me. I live in San Elijo Hills. You can come borrow mine for a test ride. Size medium.

Saguache

Adventurer
Love the bike, too, I'm trying to rationalize getting one.

This shouldn't be too difficult, I rode a Neck Romancer for the fist time a couple of weeks back and that single 15 minute ride on a frame that was a little bit smallish has completely altered my bike planning. Too much fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach