Medic83's Offroad Trailer

medic83

Observer
Once you're done, will there be anything left of the old trailer?

I know right?!!! The 3/16" thick diamond plate floor, the axle, the hubs, hand brake. Thats it! Honestly.... I will start from scratch next time. I have learned so much about building trailers its crazy. Im having alot of fun building this that Ill be building another from scratch when Im done. I honestly dont know why people pay up to 15k for trailers... blows my mind. Id be interested in building a basic AFFORDABLE design and selling them. Well see...

m101a3

Observer
If I had your welding skills, I'd most definitely be building from scratch. You can take your time, and get everything exactly the way you want it!

medic83

Observer
Thx for the compliments guys. I really didn't know much about trailer stuff so I thought I needed this. It came with a title and plate so that's why I was also using this trailer. It's been fun tho... Like I said, my next one I'll do from scratch

medic83

Observer
Got the trailer all cleaned up and the front cut. Im building the new frame and tongue today. Max Coupler should be here wed. I should have it back on its wheels today. THe worst is over tho!!! :guitar: New frame is 2x3 .120 wall. The tongue will triangulate the center piece of 2.5"x 1/4" wall box tube for the max coupler.

Before

photo1-23.jpg

photo2-26.jpg

photo3-24.jpg

photo4-23.jpg

After.... Ready for hole patching and the new frame!

photo2-27.jpg

medic83

Observer
Well today I didnt get as much done as I would have liked. I got the tongue all taked up. I also cut and notched the rest of the frame. Ill try and get most of it tacked up tomorrow. Once I get the frame welded up and the trailer back on its wheels, I will notch the triangle and weld in the 2.5x2.5" receiver. I should have the max coupler in a few days. I still need to figure out what leaf springs im going with cuz the current ones are way too stiff.

photo1-25.jpg

medic83

Observer
I got most of the frame done and tacked up. Im gonna mount the spring hangers next week when I get home. Got a busy next 5 days. The tip or the triangle will be notched and the 2.5x 2.5 receiver will be welded in and then another cross piece for support and then plated.

photo9.jpg

medic83

Observer
Thx. I obviously would have done it differently if from scratch. I really didnt have any plans on ripping everything out, but I figured Ive put so much time into it, I might as well do it right.

medic83

Observer
Mounted the brackets for the leaf springs. I went with YJ springs. They are like 48" or so x 2.5" wide. THe trailer springs were 1.75" wide and only 26" long and WAYYYYY too stiff. I went with the 4" shackle hangers from my buddies over at Ruff Stuff. This thing should flex pretty nice on the trails.

Ill have everything mounted tomorrow, I ran out of light.

photo1-26.jpg

photo2-29.jpg

photo3-26.jpg

photo4-24.jpg

photo1-27.jpg

photo2-30.jpg

photo3-27.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater