Medic83's Offroad Trailer

medic83

Observer
photo1-37.jpg

photo2-40.jpg

photo3-37.jpg

photo4-33.jpg

Made the front a big grid. I wanted the cage big enough to put a large ice chest, multiple jerry cans, or fire wood. Or whatever.... The grid can be used as multiple tie down anchors. Plus theres tie down points welded to the outside of the cage. I dont always need fuel on my trips, so I didnt want to plate it and have it only for jerry cans. This way its a large cargo area. Turned out pretty good IMO

photo1-38.jpg

photo2-41.jpg

photo3-38.jpg

photo1-39.jpg

New handle.... didnt like the other one. Gotta make sure its square
photo3-39.jpg

photo1-39.jpg

photo4-34.jpg

photo1-40.jpg

photo2-43.jpg

photo3-40.jpg

The huge roof top tent came today. Ill get it mounted this weekend.

Last edited:

jkce72

Observer
I like the basket. I just did the same to mine last month out of expanded metal. Thinking along the same lines as you. Nice to have a place to throw firewood, gas ,water or whatever. Looks great.

medic83

Observer
I like the basket. I just did the same to mine last month out of expanded metal. Thinking along the same lines as you. Nice to have a place to throw firewood, gas ,water or whatever. Looks great.

Thanks man. It was a PITA but Im really happy with how it turned out tho.

jkce72

Observer
I figure those front baskets will be pretty handy for getting our trash bags out also. Keeping the trash away from all our gear. What is the tubing running down the top of the tongue for, wiring ?

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
Holy heavy batman... This looks great but some of it seems a bit over kill in the metal sizing area..

I have no idea what your planning on doing with this so I dont mean to come off rude..

Just seems like this will weigh 1000 lbs

Great looking trailer though

medic83

Observer
Holy heavy batman... This looks great but some of it seems a bit over kill in the metal sizing area..

I have no idea what your planning on doing with this so I dont mean to come off rude..

Just seems like this will weigh 1000 lbs

Great looking trailer though

Ive seen people taking those 2500 lb AT trailers thru the Rubicon. So is 1000 lbs really alot? I honestly dont know..

Yeah, Its a bit heavier than I planned. I really didnt know what to use when I started. Knowing what I know now, I would have started from scratch. I built it to be able to go thru the Rubicon.... Im gonna weigh it wed i think. The floor was from the existing trailer ( really the only thing) its 3/16" diamond plate. I might end up cutting it out and using 10g.... if I used 12 g, I would need to add more cross bracing, so that would add more weight, so whats the point right. the lid is really heavy. I might redo the lid, but for now its staying as I leave on thursday for my trip. Ive been looking at the trailers that AT sells and sierra. mine has 35" tires and is way stronger... My weight really isnt that much more that the sierra builds. the AT trailers are like cars. If I could be 1000 lbs with no gear or tent Ill be happy. Im not driving a gutless jeep either... My truck has no issues towing.

TheThom

Adventurer
Ive seen people taking those 2500 lb AT trailers thru the Rubicon. So is 1000 lbs really alot? I honestly dont know..

Yeah, Its a bit heavier than I planned. I really didnt know what to use when I started. Knowing what I know now, I would have started from scratch. I built it to be able to go thru the Rubicon.... Im gonna weigh it wed i think. The floor was from the existing trailer ( really the only thing) its 3/16" diamond plate. I might end up cutting it out and using 10g.... if I used 12 g, I would need to add more cross bracing, so that would add more weight, so whats the point right. the lid is really heavy. I might redo the lid, but for now its staying as I leave on thursday for my trip. Ive been looking at the trailers that AT sells and sierra. mine has 35" tires and is way stronger... My weight really isnt that much more that the sierra builds. the AT trailers are like cars. If I could be 1000 lbs with no gear or tent Ill be happy. Im not driving a gutless jeep either... My truck has no issues towing.

I love it! It's your build, you did a great job and you don't need to defend it

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Wow!... I didn't tune in to your build thread during the last few weeks. Amazing build and fab skills. Really like the cargo cage.
Had a chuckle over, may cut out the last original thing left from the old trailer... the floor. Nice looking Rig with your truck!

Last edited:

medic83

Observer
Scrapped the lid.... too heavy. Im not using it as the lift platform anymore. Im gonna do a tarp or teanau cover (sp?) I have to order different struts for the lift system, not using the jacks anymore. LOL. For this trip, the RTT stayed in the travel position. But I will be adding the struts when they get here. Overall... I towed the trailer to Pismo, back into the dunes to Camp due to wind.... did great! Then to Santa Barbara, then back to the Bay Area. It could not have towed any better. I was extremely impressed.

Rear gate, can also have locks go thru the bolt holes.

photo2-46.jpg

photo3-43.jpg

Lift system.... camping height.

photo4-36.jpg

photo1-44.jpg

photo2-47.jpg

photo3-44.jpg

Travel height

photo4-37.jpg

On the road

photo1-45.jpg

photo2-48.jpg

photo3-45.jpg

photo4-38.jpg

photo2-53.jpg

photo3-50.jpg

photo4-42.jpg

Pismo

photo1-46.jpg

photo3-46.jpg

photo2-49.jpg

photo2-50.jpg

photo3-47.jpg

photo4-39.jpg

photo3-49.jpg

medic83

Observer
I put a solid axle in the front. 14" coilovers in the front and 12" coilovers in the rear. Custom 3 links front and rear 37" tires. custom axles and housings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater