Mercedes 1222 **SOLD**

That is a very nice truck. Those permanently mounted snow chains seem pretty cool. I’ve never used that type of system. Anyone have experience with this system? I read where these can be bolted onto garbage trucks, buses and any vehicles that have to go out on iced roads no matter the conditions. Can you imagine just pushing a button to demand/ call up your snow chains because you just stopped going up hill on black ice? Then when no longer needed, hit button again and snow chains are pulled into the storage position again.

Last edited:

Biscuittwister

Nice truck! I have a single cab 1222 that I have built out, been in it over a year now and love it! Question, where did you get the super single rims? I also noticed that your flat bed tray is bolted directly to the chassis, what happens when the frame twists off roading?

Biscuittwister

Nice truck! I have a single cab 1222 that I have built out, been in it over a year now and love it! Question, where did you get the super single rims? I also noticed that your flat bed tray is bolted directly to the chassis, what happens when the frame twists off roading?

Attachments

• 20200203_152454.jpg
    20200203_152454.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 289

Allge

Thank you. The super single wheels were custom made. Also, there is a company in Germany that I purchased from in the past that offers them as well. As the 1222 does not nearly have a bendable/twistable torsion frame (similar numbers to the KAT1) as the Unimog and a rather short wheel base on our vehicle, it is capable offraod truck with more stable on-road capabilities. That being said, an independent subframe would obviously improve wheel contact with the ground should you go into proper off-road conditions.

Allge

This question probably means I should not be a buyer
What is the realistic schedule for maintenance and what is parts availability like?
Thank you
This question probably means I should not be a buyer
What is the realistic schedule for maintenance and what is parts availability like?
Thank you

Not a problem. The way most people drive it, the maintenance schedule looks somewhat like that. Change the oil, fill up with diesel and keep air in the tires. The maintenance schedule is fairly similar to car. But I recommend being more diligent on prevantative stuff. Don't neglect the grease-nipples, change the diesel and air filter depending on your driving habits, adjust your valve clearance and so on. Just the regular user-manual has detailed picture tutorials on how to do all those things. The maintenance manuals I have dig into finer detail on how to pull a tranny, engine etc. This is the benefit of a mid 80's truck - you do not need any software to fix stuff it.
Here are my 5 cents on parts. All filters and belts can be purchased anywhere on the globe. Here in the US, Wix, Donaldson and Man have been the easiest choices for me to find those. The injection pump, alternator and some other parts on the engine are Bosch - easy. A lot of parts (keys, ignition, hardware, etc. are used in the SBU Mogs) There are a lot of parts on the truck that can be found in other trucks occupying the streets here. But it is obviously not always as easy as walking into the local auto parts store and finding a fitting item. Getting your self a EPC will help cross reference parts and having a good diesel mechanic around is worth a lot. Terry Lee Enterprises, Couch, Jim Ince etc. are experts in one or the other area. Being a german speaker myself, I usually order directly through MB Germany (some locations have specialized in older vehicles), or various online platforms like ww.lkwteile.autodoc.de and others. Either way - you learn pretty quickly what you can get where. Having said all this - the only item that I ever "had" to replace was the 24 volt alternator. The local alternator shop had the original Bosch one in stock because there are some Fedex trucks that this gentlemen is servicing that use the same unit. Hope that helps.

scaredsharp

Observer
It does. I am doing some research to figure it out. It is a very cool truck and if I can make sense of it then maybe I am a buyer.
Thank you
Travis

trae

Adventurer
That is a very nice truck. Those permanently mounted snow chains seem pretty cool. I’ve never used that type of system. Anyone have experience with this system? I read where these can be bolted onto garbage trucks, buses and any vehicles that have to go out on iced roads no matter the conditions. Can you imagine just pushing a button to demand/ call up your snow chains because you just stopped going up hill on black ice? Then when no longer needed, hit button again and snow chains are pulled into the storage position again. LOL. Low tech seemingly high tech. That blows me away, I have lived in Florida too long!

had to google this. Here are some examples in operation:

Beautiful truck OP, GLWS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk