Mercedes Metris minivan

Keyne

Adventurer
Wow awesome. Like a new Westy. With 4x4 it would be a daily driver for me. Seems crazy they wouldn't offer AWD even if only special order. I am currently thinking of a 144 4x4 Sprinter daily driver but this would be so much better for a daily.

haven

Expedition Leader
Mercedes just announced a Metris at a lower price point. The "Worker" model removes nice features like the wood plank cargo floor and rear doors that open flat against the sides of the van to achieve a price that is $26,000, or $3000 less than the original Metris. The Metris Worker has the same engine, transmission, cargo capacity and towing capacity as the original Metris.

The Metris sits between small vans (Ford Transit Express, Chevrolet/Nissan NV, and Ram Promaster City) and full size vans like the Sprinter, Transit and Promaster. It's a little larger than the typical American minivan, but the Metris still fits in parking garages.

Westfalia makes a camping conversion kit for the Metris called the Marco Polo Adventure. No plan to import to USA at present.
http://www.westfalia-mobil.net/en/modelle/marco-polo-activity/marco-polo-activity-grundrisse.php

Keyne

Adventurer
Recon camper mentioned to me that MB corporate is preparing a version of the Metris that is OEM prepped for camper conversions. They mentioned 6 months plus to have them available to MB preferred camper up fitters. The version would allow for pop up roof figment that doesn't void the warranty, etc. Now all we need is the AWD version... Kind of ironic after all the wait for the Sprinter 4x4 and now once we have that we can start the wait for Metris AWD. Lol

It has been mentioned in other posts I think but Reimo Americas and GTRV are making or planning Westy style pop up campers. GTRV has half a dozen in the works already.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
GTRV are making or planning Westy style pop up campers. GTRV has half a dozen in the works already.

http://www.gtrv.com/photos?mercedes-metris

gtrv-sept-metris-1-front.jpg

sierrasclimber

I looked seriously at the Metris when showing but it had two items which were deal breakers:
1. The steering wheel tilts but doesn't telescope (could be the opposite). Seriously MB? My wife who is all legs couldn't get comfortable.
2. Ground Clearance - It really bad. Like 4.5" or something. I had to confirm it. Yep it's that bad. To be a serious US camper I think this will be a problem. Westies are more like 6" or 7" of clearance.

Loved the size of it. Perfect for getting around town and height inside was awesome. For me parking in my garage was important and it would have fit, unlike a Sprinter.

hoser

Explorer
Can do a little about the ground clearance... here is a 45mm lift. Stock tires are about a 27" diameter. Could probably bump those up to 29". So nearly 3" of added ground clearance...

Vito_447_Hoeherlegung_2WD_UFS_TERRANGER.jpg

F451

Observer
I just found out you can roll a full sized dirt bike into a Metris. I'm going to stop by a MB dealer and check the Metris out. With a mild lift/wheels this could be the perfect moto hauler for me (fits a dirt bike inside, can sleep in it, can fit it in my garage at home, can fit it into typical parking garages, it drives and handles way better then the older US standard sized vans).

A pop top would be the ultimate add on but that's out of the budget for now. -Eddie

F451

Observer
Good job! Did you tell one of the decoration girls, or an actual MB employee? Ha ha, just kidding.

I told my local MB dealer van sales mgr the same thing. Told him if they had an AWD model on the lot I'd be driving it home that day. As it was, no sale. But I will be back, hoping to get one this year and if the AWD or 4WD models come to the US at some point later I will trade up for that.

Unfortunately I have to wait to get rid of my kids horse and right now we're locked in a battle royale over it. Can't trade in the F250 until the horse is gone as we need it to get the damn thing around. Meanwhile I got dirt bike riding weekends to do and I'm tired of sleeping in a tent or bumming camper space from my friends. Ah, first world problems, no doubt.

Anyway, get those damn AWD and 4 WD Metris' over here, if priced even remotely right they will sell like hot cakes.

Last edited:

ihatemybike

Explorer
I told an actual rep and referenced the many videos I've watched of the AWD/4x4 versions running around the world and racing in the Rallye Aicha des Gazelles.

Kinda old thread but, I'd get rid of my 2014 transit connect for this, literally today, if it came to the US in a cargo version with 4x4. Diesel would be nice too, especially if it tolerated non ultra low sulphur and high BD percentage fuel. Anyone know if it's possible to import the front axle / tcase / whatever and legally make a US one 4x4?

But seriously, MB, literally today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL