Mexican 1000

Ragman

The Grenadier is now back in the US at Mossy INEOS and we are awaiting the diagnosis. In the meantime we just put up the video of our off road thoughts if you want to check it out-

Hegear

Really enjoyed your video. It will be interesting to find out the problem with grenadier.

How difficult was it to arrange shipping back to the USA? Curious as I’ve driven the Baja several times and have often wondered what I’d do if I had a massive break down.

Ragman

Really enjoyed your video. It will be interesting to find out the problem with grenadier.

How difficult was it to arrange shipping back to the USA? Curious as I’ve driven the Baja several times and have often wondered what I’d do if I had a massive break down.
I lucked out as our chase truck driver knew the owner of MexPat who coordinated the move. Easy to work with but not an express move.

nickw

Adventurer
Some insights but not the cause yet. I will post up as soon as I hear.
Any input? What all needed to be repaired afterwards?

This link over on the Ineos Forum calls it the "Baja 1000", I think some of the guys are confused with the real Baja 1000 and the NORRA Mexican 1000:

Last edited:

utherjorge

Observer
Unless there's been a update I missed, we're at 6 weeks-ish with no diagnosis or explanation about something pretty significant. This cannot be considered anything other than a boutique vehicle at this point, which I (and others) have been bleating about for years now. If it were a water in the fuel issue, would a Ford/Toyota/GM/etc. have taken 6 weeks to sort out?

Ragman

Update on the Grenadier-Sorry with the surgery I have not been online very much. A couple of quick housekeeping items. The NORRA Safari I participated in was not a competitive class, those with Raptors etc went at their own pace and we always brought up the rear as we were not there to destroy the vehicle. Sadly we were backed into which not only damaged the left front bumper but also took out the transfer case cooler and trim around the headlight. After speaking with the dealership late last week they have found a couple things. First the non-start was due to the electronics disabling the fuel pump but they are not sure why at this point and it was 4 days after the accident. Second the transfer case cooler repair was solid but it does appear that some fluid was still leaking which caused the transfer case to throw some codes which they had to clear before they could get it moving. I was monitoring the transfer case temp constantly and at no time did the vehicle indicate overheating but could be a sensor placement issue. At this moment the vehicle is running and driving so they have sorted that with some speculation that the transfer case codes caused the fuel pump issue, but not confirmed.

I knew one rim was bent as you saw in the video and the dealership told me the one on the rear on same side also took a ding. One day I was aired down to 20 pounds but that seemed too low so I ran about 26 every other day. I suspect the rims bent on the day that the pressure was at 20. They didn't mention 4 blown shocks or a demolished steering stabilizer so I will ask them on the next call. Would the shock surprise me, probably not but would expect better. Before it shut down it drove fine on the highway and there was no indication of suspension or steering issues as well as no vibration from wheels being out of balance due to being bent.

Now it is off to the body shop for estimate and then to the insurance company.

The cracked windshield was a gift from a semi that tossed a rock up as we were leaving a town. Other than that it appears that all the issues may well trace back to the accident and the transfer case cooler damage. I will update when I get the final information.

As a side note they told me that one of the radiator overflow tanks (cannot recall which) was very low when they got it but when they pressure tested they showed no signs of leakage or pressure drop. Make sure you check your anti-freeze as the B58 seems to have a reputation for consuming coolant.

Ragman

Any input? What all needed to be repaired afterwards?

This link over on the Ineos Forum calls it the "Baja 1000", I think some of the guys are confused with the real Baja 1000 and the NORRA Mexican 1000:

Yes, was the NORRA event, not the SCORE event.

nickw

Adventurer
Yes, was the NORRA event, not the SCORE event.
Just thought it was funny about all the comments, not that it matters, but I guess folks that know know, when I first read Baja 1000 I was like there is no frickin' way, that is not a knock to IG but simply me be familiar enough with the course to know how difficult it would be with any stock vehicle.

Ragman

It was actually pretty easy. One of our group knows the owner of MexPat movers who are experienced moving across the border. Once we got the vehicle to their subcontractor via flatbed it was smooth move-not fast but stress free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk