Mexican Vanilla

Lynn

Expedition Leader
A while back, while in Playa del Carman, we bought a bottle of Vane' brand vanilla, and is it strong!

I've been having trouble figuring out how much to use in recipies. So, do any of you have a rule-of-thumb conversion for using Mexican vanilla in US recipies?

I'm sure it depends somewhat on the brand, but we've had a couple of brands over the years, and both seemed much stronger than US vanilla.

DontPanic42

Adventurer
I usually don't change the quantity but then again my taste buds are shot.
Figure the Mexican vanilla is double strength. Try cutting requirement in half as a first try.
Enjoy.

RobinP

Observer
My sister brought me back some of that from Playa del Carmen this Christmas. It's great stuff! Not just stronger, but the flavour is so much richer. Good luck, enjoy it!

adrenaline503

Explorer
I usually use 2/3 of what is listed in the recipe. I have had a bottle for about 3 years now and it is just about to run out. Sounds like an excuse to head south...

softboyled

check the ingredients---

Lynn said:
A while back, while in Playa del Carman, we bought a bottle of Vane' brand vanilla, and is it strong!

I've been having trouble figuring out how much to use in recipies. So, do any of you have a rule-of-thumb conversion for using Mexican vanilla in US recipies?

I'm sure it depends somewhat on the brand, but we've had a couple of brands over the years, and both seemed much stronger than US vanilla.

Check this out: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/011207.html

Cheers,
Greg

oldcj5guy

Adventurer
I have been wanting some of this. I keep hearing about it, but have never had the opportunity to play with some.

bovw

Explorer
We get some every year in San Antonio, I love it. My wife's baking has a much better flavor with Mexican Vanilla over regular vanilla. We hit a place in Fredericksburg, TX every year that has awesome Mexican Vanilla ice cream. I you can get some, it's worth a try.

flywgn

Explorer
We don't alter our measurements when using Mexican vanilla. The brand you mention, Vané is pure and not a derivative of coumarin, which was banned here in the states years ago.

When using more readily available vanilla products, which can be synthetic, it's common that folks will often be 'generous' with their measurements. With the real stuff you don't have to be heavy-handed. If you find that the taste is too radical your can use the 'scant' version of the requirement.

We sometimes make our own extract using a vanilla bean, but what the heck. You have a good product. I wouldn't hesitate using it.

Allen R

HongerVenture

Adventurer
I have always made my own vanilla with beans... then someone brought me a bottle from Mexico. Great stuff! I don't scale down the measurement... I can't get enough. I'm the kind of wierdo who will just swallow a teaspoon of the stuff every once in awhile... its just so good!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater