Mid-size vs Full-size truck setup

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
40%/80 proof, Everclear is better.

Never heard of those magazines, do they exist or did those gangster distillers create those awards for marketing propaganda?

rruff

Explorer
As it should be, midsize trucks have ballooned enough as it is.
Laughably, the biggest criticism of the overgrown "midsize" is that it isn't as big as a fullsize. 🤪

It's a shame we can't get buy the Toyota Champ here. Great basic small pickup without all the metrosexual doodads... like AT, AC, ABS, 4wd and air bags!

intro-1706627283.webp

Dougnuts

It would be interesting to see that Tacoma parked next to say a 1998 chev K1500 Ext cab, 2001 Ford f150 SuperCrew or Gen 1 Tundra.

I bet the size difference wouldn't be that huge.

I recall looking up the dimension of a 2024 Ranger Crew Cab vs a 2001 SuperCrew F150 and they weren't that far off.

As I alluded to in my previous post, exterior dimensions don't mean that the interior volume is even in the ballpark. The Tacoma is diminutive inside compared to the F150.

Anyways, here's a picture of a 2000 F-150 vs. a 2018. The 2018 was on 34's with a level.

51645130955_fd606969da_b.jpg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
As I alluded to in my previous post, exterior dimensions don't mean that the interior volume is even in the ballpark. The Tacoma is diminutive inside compared to the F150.

Anyways, here's a picture of a 2000 F-150 vs. a 2018. The 2018 was on 34's with a level.

51645130955_fd606969da_b.jpg
Agreed. I've sat in a 2019 - 2023 Ranger and it's much smaller inside than my SuperCrew.

Even the 1st gen SuperCrews are much smaller inside than the current gens.

Width is close, but rear seat room isn't even in the same ballpark.

I think in 2009, the cabs grew 6" longer for more interior room.

More mentioning those dimensions it terms of those discussing exterior size as it relates to trail clearances parking in the city etc..

phsycle

Adventurer
On paper, Tacoma is listed at 74.4” wide and 226.2” long (DC 6’ bed).
A current F150 is 79.9” wide and 231.7” long (Supercrew 5.5’ bed).

Seemingly insignificant size difference. But the actual difference in cabin size is like going from a twin bed to a king bed. Like 7’ ceiling to a 9’ ceiling. (I’m in the middle of a house remodel, if you can’t tell 😂).

rruff

Explorer
Seemingly insignificant size difference. But the actual difference in cabin size is like going from a twin bed to a king bed. Like 7’ ceiling to a 9’ ceiling.
Nonsense... neither is wide enough to sleep in or tall enough stand up in! 🤪

So long as I can comfortably sit in it, the cabin has plenty of room. Sometimes I wonder what ya'll are doing in your trucks... :unsure:

85_Ranger4x4

It would be interesting to see that Tacoma parked next to say a 1998 chev K1500 Ext cab, 2001 Ford f150 SuperCrew or Gen 1 Tundra.

I bet the size difference wouldn't be that huge.

I recall looking up the dimension of a 2024 Ranger Crew Cab vs a 2001 SuperCrew F150 and they weren't that far off.

2001 f150 SuperCrew dimensions:

View attachment 832907

2024 Ranger Crew cab dimensions:

View attachment 832908

2024 Tacoma Crew cab 6' box dimensions:

View attachment 832909

My 02 next to a new 19-23 Ranger

The '150 dwarfed it on interior room, not having the modern mandatory center console really helps perceived room though. The clunky split bench in my '16 isn't as nice as the one in '02.

Really, even my '85 feels like it has more interior room than a newer Ranger, no console, no 2' deep dash, no B pillar in my arm pit etc.

Laughably, the biggest criticism of the overgrown "midsize" is that it isn't as big as a fullsize. 🤪

It's a shame we can't get buy the Toyota Champ here. Great basic small pickup without all the metrosexual doodads... like AT, AC, ABS, 4wd and air bags!

intro-1706627283.webp

I have a Ranger and a F-150, they don't cross paths much. One is a great tow pig/family truck, the other is much better offroad, is an erector set to build, is fun to drive and is a jack of all trades as far as versatility.

When I am done with little kids I am going back to a Supercab F-150. I gotta have at least a 6.5 bed but with a crew cab it trips all over itself a lot for maneuverability.

Nonsense... neither is wide enough to sleep in or tall enough stand up in! 🤪

So long as I can comfortably sit in it, the cabin has plenty of room. Sometimes I wonder what ya'll are doing in your trucks... :unsure:

Dunno about you but I can walk around in the back of my Ranger, it sleeps four comfortably too. 😜

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger