Moab or Bust, 1987 4Runner Low Budget Build

Freebirds

Observer
Hey everyone,
I wanted to do a quick update on this thread. I've had a lot of great times over the past year because of this build. Here are a few highlights:
My favorite picture, this was taken near the Hayman Fire burn area just after a thunderstorm:
2013-14_zpsc99367a9.jpg

Taking some friends fourwheeling for the first time:
100_1103_zpsc9584649.jpg

Above the town of Tolland with the Continental Divide in the background:
2013-1-3_zpsbacfb416.jpg

On our way to St. Mary's Glacier:
IMG_0905_zps60ef0108.jpg

Snowshoeing at Rabbit Ears Pass:
100_1765_zps138f8f4f.jpg

Sadly the 4Runner finally broke down in February. A leak developed in the head gasket that allowed coolant to drip from the driver's side of the engine near the #4 cylinder. My schedule has been hectic so I had to park it for a while and leave it alone. Eventually I had time to tear into it and start replacing the headgasket. I also had the head cleaned, checked, and resurfaced:
20140523_104944_zpsaf473b6b.jpg

And that is pretty much where my story ends. While the 4Runner was down I was offered a really good deal on another vehicle that I couldn't pass up. Now I have two off-road vehicles and zero free time/space to work on the 4Runner. So I've decided to finally sell the 4Runner, but its not all gloom and doom. The money will be going towards our trip to the Pacific Northwest, which begins Saturday! Thanks for all your support during my build. This is a great forum!

If you're interested, here is the ad:
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4601094299.html

Last edited:

Freebirds

Observer
What is the other vehicle ? Better be a yota!

Haha Nope, I sold out and now I look just like every other person. It was a good deal though. 1995 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L, manual, mild lift, lots of skid plates, winch w/ a synthetic line, bumpers, tire carrier, hard top, newer tires, new water pump, new battery, new alternator, and a few other goodies all for $2000

100_2353_zps93ea24dc.jpg

Octotat

Observer
Killer deal on that Jeep! No deals like that one in TN!

I really enjoyed your thread. Very similiar to my experience with my 95 ZJ. I paid a bit more, but a fair bit less work. It's also primarily a boat hauling rig.

I used to live in Broomfield, and those pictures going out of Tolland to St. Mary's was a run I made very often back then! I loved that little hike at Kingson Peak.

Again, thanks for the thread!

Freebirds

Observer
Well, the 4Runner has been sold. The good news is the person who bought it showed up in a well loved 1986 SR5 and he works for Toytec Lifts. He is planning on building my 4Runner for one of his family members. I'm thankful that it will continue to be enjoyed for many more miles!!

huntsonora

Explorer
Well, the 4Runner has been sold. The good news is the person who bought it showed up in a well loved 1986 SR5 and he works for Toytec Lifts. He is planning on building my 4Runner for one of his family members. I'm thankful that it will continue to be enjoyed for many more miles!!

I know its weird but its always nice to know when a vehicle goes to a good owner that'll take care of it

Freebirds

Observer
I saw my old 4runner recently listed on Craigslist for $3500. I wish I would have had the time/space to keep it. The ride, storage, and gas mileage were way better than a Jeep YJ. Here are a few pics from the ad:
00A0A_js20K1tJTRe_600x450_zpsl57ysxeh.jpg

00x0x_bcO89TDWYYJ_600x450_zpsrqbey8dm.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism