Moab or Bust, 1987 4Runner Low Budget Build

Freebirds

Observer
I'm glad you guys have enjoyed the build so far. I can't wait for this semester to end so I can keep working on it. I have a lot of things that I'd like to get done; sleeping platform w/ storage, canvas compartments in place of the original side panels, head liner net, rear bumper, and a lot of basic maintanence tasks.

Awesome direction on life. Just get out and do, don't sit around wishing you had all the "right" stuff required to get out.

Just remember "It ain't the one with the most toys that wins, it's the one who plays the most !" Great job on the build.

I totally agree!

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Great job and fun story! It's nice to see that your wife is so supportive of your activities, and enjoys hitting the trails with you. I'm trying to follow a very similar philosophy while building up my '97 T4R. Lots of trips to the local wrecker yard for the minor stuff I can handle myself. Keep up the good work and let us know how things progress. any plans for upgrading the suspension?

Cereal_Killer

This is a great and inspiring story. I'd love to do something like this one day. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, and the youtube video you posted, said it was a private video, so couldn't see it. Other than that, great progress pics and trip report. Looks like it was a blast.

hornytoad

Desert Geologist
Awesome awesome build!!! I'm glad your having way better luck with your build than I had with my 87 Toyota pickup in collage.

Fluids, tires, brakes, hubs, timing chain... Did you do the battery???

I really like the simple tailgate panel, plus it makes the tailgate way easier to cook on. No spilling your coffee or beer.

+2 on a roof rack! Keep an eye on craigslist, sometimes a Thule or Yakima rack will show up for free.

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
GREAT build Freebirds...as others have mentioned, you're putting the money in all the right places, without any unnecessary frills. Too bad I didn't notice this build until now, I think we were in Moab around the same time. Your maiden voyage reminds me of the first trip we took in our 4Runner, loaded down with a canoe and lovin' every minute!

The one thing I really wish I addressed before we left the states was doing my timing chain and replacing those crappy plastic chain guides with metal ones. Smart investment.
I'm glad you guys have enjoyed the build so far. I can't wait for this semester to end so I can keep working on it. I have a lot of things that I'd like to get done; sleeping platform w/ storage, canvas compartments in place of the original side panels, head liner net, rear bumper, and a lot of basic maintanence tasks.
One bit of advice: Be sure to measure the dimensions of all of your necessary gear before building your sleeping platform, so you can keep it as low as possible. The more headroom you can squeeze out above your platform the better! We eventually got tired of our sleeping platform and changed it up a bit...now all of our storage runs along the wheel wells (about 7" wide on each side and 15" tall) which made it possible to ditch the flimsy plastic rear cargo panels and stuff even more gear in the walls. Our bed is only 37" wide, but it's perfect for my wife and I...after 14 months of living in our 4Runner, we still prefer sleeping in the rig over a hotel!

Also, be sure to check out all of Roger Brown's cheap tricks. He's got some great budget mods for 1st gen 4Runners.

Keep up the good work!

ibflyn

I saw this post yesterday. Really cool ! I bought mine in November and am planning to do something very similar. Paycheck to paycheck build-trying to get it ready for the summer! So far; completely gutted and cleaned the interior, new arb/procomp rear suspension, alpine and infinity stereo, and lots of little things, like getting the power windows to work. To go; thorough engine tune up, new arb front suspension, new wheels and tires, rust repair and paint (from a can for now), etc... Im in Denver too, hit me up if you ever want to hit the trails, or need help turning wrenches! (Same goes to you thebrassnuckles)

Freebirds

Observer
Great job and fun story! It's nice to see that your wife is so supportive of your activities, and enjoys hitting the trails with you. I'm trying to follow a very similar philosophy while building up my '97 T4R. Lots of trips to the local wrecker yard for the minor stuff I can handle myself. Keep up the good work and let us know how things progress. any plans for upgrading the suspension?
I'm torn on whether or not I want to modify the suspension. I'm happy with the current ride height, but I'd like to improve the ride quality and articulation. New shocks would help a bit with ride quality, and I might leave it at that for the time being. My ultimate plan would be a combination of junk-yard parts and custom fabrication. I'd like to replicate the Total Chaos Kit up front with extended A-arms and use 63” Chevy springs in the back, but that's a ways down the road.
This is a great and inspiring story. I'd love to do something like this one day. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, and the youtube video you posted, said it was a private video, so couldn't see it. Other than that, great progress pics and trip report. Looks like it was a blast.
Thanks for the heads up! It should be working now, nothing special. You can see that my shocks are definitely worn out!
Maybe I missed it

Which tire and what size did you go with?

31 x 10.5 R15?
I went with the Geo-Trac Patagonia and the size is 31x10.50R15. So far they've been good; decent wet and snow traction, quiet ride, and good gas mileage. They don't clean mud very well, but that's not a big issue for me. The used tire market and size selection was very limited for the 15” wheels I had. When these tires start to wear out I'm going to look for a larger diameter set of wheels. There are a lot of new truck “take-off” tires in my area selling for really cheap, but they're all in 16” or 17”s
If you want a cheap roof rack find some old thule/yakima rain gutter towers and x-bars and an atv ramp! I made one for my land cruiser and its awesome!

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...V-ramp-roof-rack?highlight=atv+ramp+roof+rack
That's a pretty good idea! I may have to do something similar on mine…..
Awesome awesome build!!! I'm glad your having way better luck with your build than I had with my 87 Toyota pickup in collage.

Fluids, tires, brakes, hubs, timing chain... Did you do the battery???

I really like the simple tailgate panel, plus it makes the tailgate way easier to cook on. No spilling your coffee or beer.

+2 on a roof rack! Keep an eye on craigslist, sometimes a Thule or Yakima rack will show up for free.
Not yet, but it's on my to-do list. I've been researching different options for relocating further back and lower.
GREAT build Freebirds...as others have mentioned, you're putting the money in all the right places, without any unnecessary frills. Too bad I didn't notice this build until now, I think we were in Moab around the same time. Your maiden voyage reminds me of the first trip we took in our 4Runner, loaded down with a canoe and lovin' every minute!

The one thing I really wish I addressed before we left the states was doing my timing chain and replacing those crappy plastic chain guides with metal ones. Smart investment.

One bit of advice: Be sure to measure the dimensions of all of your necessary gear before building your sleeping platform, so you can keep it as low as possible. The more headroom you can squeeze out above your platform the better! We eventually got tired of our sleeping platform and changed it up a bit...now all of our storage runs along the wheel wells (about 7" wide on each side and 15" tall) which made it possible to ditch the flimsy plastic rear cargo panels and stuff even more gear in the walls. Our bed is only 37" wide, but it's perfect for my wife and I...after 14 months of living in our 4Runner, we still prefer sleeping in the rig over a hotel!

Also, be sure to check out all of Roger Brown's cheap tricks. He's got some great budget mods for 1st gen 4Runners.

Keep up the good work!
Damn, that would have been awesome! When I was trying to decide whether or not I should buy the 4runner and start this project I did quite a bit of internet research to see what was possible. Your adventures and Homeonthehighway/defrag's adventures were my final deciding factors. My wife and I would love to do something similar in the future.
Thanks for the advice and inspiration!
I saw this post yesterday. Really cool ! I bought mine in November and am planning to do something very similar. Paycheck to paycheck build-trying to get it ready for the summer! So far; completely gutted and cleaned the interior, new arb/procomp rear suspension, alpine and infinity stereo, and lots of little things, like getting the power windows to work. To go; thorough engine tune up, new arb front suspension, new wheels and tires, rust repair and paint (from a can for now), etc... Im in Denver too, hit me up if you ever want to hit the trails, or need help turning wrenches! (Same goes to you thebrassnuckles)

For sure! It seems like there are quite a few people in the area. We should have a trail ride or meet up some time.

Last edited:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
From the video, it looks like the shocks are controlling jounce very nicely--not at all like my "bowl of jelly" '84 Bronco. New shocks usually make the ride harsher. A while back, I was looking for some really worn out shocks to soften the ride on the '85.

For articulation on the trail, consider making some sway-bar quick disconnects. I used this design for quite a while:

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/swaybar-disconnects-toyota-cheap-tricks-18343.html

I don't think I'd change the stock battery location--it's a dry place for most water crossings.

Last edited:

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
I'm torn on whether or not I want to modify the suspension. I'm happy with the current ride height, but I'd like to improve the ride quality and articulation. New shocks would help a bit with ride quality, and I might leave it at that for the time being. My ultimate plan would be a combination of junk-yard parts and custom fabrication. I'd like to replicate the Total Chaos Kit up front with extended A-arms and use 63” Chevy springs in the back, but that's a ways down the road.
If your current leaf springs are shot, a great temporary fix for a smooth ride (while loaded down with gear) is the Zuk mod. Look it up on Yotatech...there are a few different versions, but the simplest form is taking front coil springs from junkyard '97-01 Jeep TJ and wedging it between the rear bump stops. It will level out the rear and give your bump stops a little breathing room, and it's a quick mod to try while waiting to do the 63" Chevy springs.

The battery location is pretty good (you can even stuff dual Odyssey PC1200's in there), but if you want to go further back and lower you could try what Ramblewriter did. They cut a hole under the 4Runner (I believe above the driveshaft or rear end) and used a baking tray hung as a battery tray. Sorry, I can no longer find pics of it or their description so this is kinda useless.

Wainiha

Explorer
Awesome. I like the budget build too. I'm poor. Those pics of the scenery were very inspiring.

I need an overland adventure right now. I can't afford to take a trip to the mainland for that though. Sometimes island fever is hard on the adventurous spirit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism