Moab or Bust, 1987 4Runner Low Budget Build

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I need an overland adventure right now. I can't afford to take a trip to the mainland for that though. Sometimes island fever is hard on the adventurous spirit.

Ha--you mean you want to get off of the garden isle? That's hard to imagine.

I can't justify the cost/fuel myself, either, so I just follow everyone else's adventures.

Freebirds

Observer
If your current leaf springs are shot, a great temporary fix for a smooth ride (while loaded down with gear) is the Zuk mod. Look it up on Yotatech...there are a few different versions, but the simplest form is taking front coil springs from junkyard '97-01 Jeep TJ and wedging it between the rear bump stops. It will level out the rear and give your bump stops a little breathing room, and it's a quick mod to try while waiting to do the 63" Chevy springs.

The battery location is pretty good (you can even stuff dual Odyssey PC1200's in there), but if you want to go further back and lower you could try what Ramblewriter did. They cut a hole under the 4Runner (I believe above the driveshaft or rear end) and used a baking tray hung as a battery tray. Sorry, I can no longer find pics of it or their description so this is kinda useless.
How does the Zuk mod ride when the vehicle is unloaded? My Dad is considering lifting his TJ, so this may be in my future.
When I was toying with the idea of moving the battery back it was mainly to move the weight, but it probably wouldn't be worth the trouble/cost involved. I saw an old 4runner in the junkyard recently that had an Optima battery mounted above the stock spare tire location. I would have snagged it, but the weight of the vehicle was resting on it.
Do you have a map of your route?
I don't have one yet, but I could easily make one for you. Is there an area in particular that you were interested in? I have a few GPS coordinates written down too.

Freebirds

Observer
From the video, it looks like the shocks are controlling jounce very nicely--not at all like my "bowl of jelly" '84 Bronco. New shocks usually make the ride harsher. A while back, I was looking for some really worn out shocks to soften the ride on the '85.

For articulation on the trail, consider making some sway-bar quick disconnects. I used this design for quite a while:

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/swaybar-disconnects-toyota-cheap-tricks-18343.html

I don't think I'd change the stock battery location--it's a dry place for most water crossings.

That seems pretty easy to do. My wife would probably take a little convincing though. I removed the sway-bars completely from a previous vehicle, Bronco II, and my wife would get car sick whenever we drove in the mountains. Now her blood pressure rises anytime I mention "sway-bar". :)

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
How does the Zuk mod ride when the vehicle is unloaded? My Dad is considering lifting his TJ, so this may be in my future.
When I was toying with the idea of moving the battery back it was mainly to move the weight, but it probably wouldn’t be worth the trouble/cost involved. I saw an old 4runner in the junkyard recently that had an Optima battery mounted above the stock spare tire location. I would have snagged it, but the weight of the vehicle was resting on it.
When I had our 4Runner completely gutted and the Zuk mod installed, it rode really rough because the rear end was too light. THe beauty is, it's really easy to install and remove (with a bottle jack and coil spring compressor) so they're almost like cheap overload springs. The best part is that it would be free in your case :sombrero:...I think I picked mine up for $15 at a junkyard.

With the junkyard Optima, you could possibly clean up some of the clutter under your hood to make it fit near the other battery. You would save money on running shorter cables, but you would probably have to cut into your wheel well and fab a recessed tray there to clear the Optima under the hood. The beauty of the Optima style batteries is you can mount them on their sides. NEVERMIND, I reread your post...you want to relocate the battery, not install dual batteries.

Mudbone

I saw this thread featured on ExPo's Flipboard page. I read every post, and registered immediately.

This is a wonderful thread, and your results are motivational. Enjoy your 4Runner, Freebirds.

southernboy30

I just join the site. I am planning to purchase a Tacoma and your thread nailed it for me to purchase used and purchase my gear, quality gear. Thanks for sharing.

Freebirds

Observer
I just join the site. I am planning to purchase a Tacoma and your thread nailed it for me to purchase used and purchase my gear, quality gear. Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad you liked the build! I haven't posted in a long time but an update will be coming soon. The 4runner has been awesome so far and I'm very grateful that I started this project. Good luck on your build!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism