Modern Farm Truck

First, mad fab skills! Really nice planning and execution. I was totally with you and loving every inch of the bumper and layout, until the end. Those bottom bar corners aren't quite right. The 90s just don't work well with the slim, streamlined look and shape of the rest of the bumper... If it's not too late you should rework them into 45s, it would look a lot better (my $0.03 worth, was supposed to be $0.02 but my math sucks...).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is different, I'll give you that. One thing we needed was a vertical section of 1.75 tubing on the ends (sides) of the bumper for additional spray tip mounting options. I couldn't build the standard triangulated bumper and then have a piece of tubing sticking out so that's how I came up with the 90 degree eyebrows.

I kind of like them though. The other bumpers on the market all look the same and the shape of them is not cohesive with the shape of the truck.

Thanks.

big a

Adventurer
It is different, I'll give you that. One thing we needed was a vertical section of 1.75 tubing on the ends (sides) of the bumper for additional spray tip mounting options. I couldn't build the standard triangulated bumper and then have a piece of tubing sticking out so that's how I came up with the 90 degree eyebrows.

I kind of like them though. The other bumpers on the market all look the same and the shape of them is not cohesive with the shape of the truck.

Thanks.

Impressive response to a suggestion! All too often people are way too defensive! Well played sir! I bet you'd be a cool guy to hang out with!

I'm a mechanical design engineer, and the ever present challenge is combining fit/function with aesthetics. Fit/function always trumps, but the true artisan is the one who can unite them!

Nice job!

-Andy

“When men know not what to do , they ought not to do they know not what” - John Adams

Forever the diplomat, that's me.

Thanks. And I'm a grumpy, pragmatic type A that works alone, so I don't know what hanging out means, but I appreciate the compliment.

You are absolutely correct. Sometimes finding a solution that satisfies both aesthetic and function requirements is the largest challenge. Form definitely follows function, but form is still important. On my list of what's important, safety is always first, function, and form follow, then build sequence brings up the rear. Often, the build sequence is the most challenging as things get in the way and welding tweaks metal so you better have your thinking cap on to make sure the vision you have is ultimately achievable.

big a

Adventurer
Well stated!

Hangin' out means, sittin' in a chair, tossin' a cpl back, just relaxin' and shootin' the bull, LOL!!!

I'm always busy, so my wife and kids have to get on me to just slow down once in a while and just "hang out!"

-Andy

forty2

Adventurer
Bumper looks great, alway looking forward to seeing the progress you make.

I'm a grumpy, pragmatic type A that works alone, so I don't know what hanging out means, but I appreciate the compliment.

Hey, that's me too! I'd be overjoyed to share a beer with you anytime, just I'd like to do it from a table for one in opposite corners of completely different deserted bars located two states away from each other. Cheers!

GadgetPhreak

Observer
You know what they say about opinions ;) as long as you like it that's all that matters. Fantastic work, it turned out really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big a

Adventurer

Hey, that's me too! I'd be overjoyed to share a beer with you anytime, just I'd like to do it from a table for one in opposite corners of completely different deserted bars located two states away from each other. Cheers!

hahahahahahahahahahaha

-Andy

Online beer chat...

The truck is to be picked up this weekend and it is ready. Though it may not look it, this is damn near a frame up restoration. The only parts left untouched were the body paint and the transfer case. Literally every other mechanical part has been swapped, rebuilt, adjusted or assessed for integrity. The motor has been rebuilt, it's got a new Weber carb, heavy flywheel, HD clutch, 2" exhaust, new gears in the diffs, awesome brake upgrades, bulletproof suspension, a contemporary approach to steering, etc. I call this "the truck I never got to build" because it has many features that did not exist when we were building trucks of this nature. By the time these new parts hit the market, we had skipped ahead to building cut bodied, heavily modified rigs. So revisiting the mild Toyota was a lot of fun for me.

The customer still has some work to do. The tank needs to be built and the bed powder coated, A/C still needs to be added and all his lighting and road safety accessories too. But this is how it sits now.

owyheerat

Adventurer
I love it! It's the ultimate 'sleeper'. The casual observer (maybe even some hardcore enthusiasts) will have no idea the capabilities of this 'little' truck. Nor the time, energy and love that went into making 'her' what she is....AWESOME!

Very well done!

Durwin

It is a sleeper. Most people wouldn't even take a second glance.

I just realized I left out some important details of the build. Swapping over to the solid axle frame and mostly stock front axle assembly meant having a custom front driveshaft built. I will never completely understand which Toyotas come with which CV joint, but I had to go to my special private reserve of CV joints to get the 35 degree joint for the front shaft. I assumed all along that the original shaft would work... While we were at it, I had the driveline shop weld in a HD long slip.

The LED tail light install entailed a thinking cap too. I had run into this problem in the past, and I'm tired of repeating mistakes, so it is definitely time to start producing plug-and-play wiring pigtails and harnesses for Toyotas. Anyway, I bought some MAXBILT LED tail lights that had the running lights, turn signals, brake lights, reverse lights and even corner markers all in one unit. http://www.maxbilt.com/max-bilt-new-trail-tail-led-taillights.html They weren't cheap at $200 per pair, but I couldn't resist. Wiring them was the headache. We bought the wrong flasher and didn't realize it until it was the last piece of the puzzle (ergo, after 3-4 hours of head scratching). The correct flasher turned out to be a EP34L. We also had to wire in a trailer converter to get the stop, tail and turn in one instead of multiple circuits. And it did not plug into the panel, we had to make a pigtail for it.

The exhaust turned out to be pretty simple, but I had a shop do it, because the customer didn't want to spring for a custom Stoffregen Motorsports stainless mandrel bent system. We used a simple round replacement style muffler, but deleted the cat (since it's going to be used in a region where no smog laws apply) and up-sized the pipe to 2". It had to make some twists and turns to get around the shocks and out the corner, but it looks and sounds great.

bkg

Explorer
Very nice work! As soon as the lottery check comes, I'll drop off a couple of Tacoma's for ya. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach