Modify Action Packer into a Chuckbox?

vanvliet22

Has anyone seen any creative modifications for an Action Packer?

I have the 8 gallon version and would like to turn it into a chuckbox to hold my kitchen supplies. I was thinking about hinging the lid to the body so that it flips open. I also saw somebody use the inside of the lid as a spice rack / small item storage. I think I might give that a try too, if I can find some bungee material.

I'm going to take a crack at it this weekend, but I wanted to see if anybody had any suggestions before I got started. Thanks.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I have been using a small Action Packer as a chuck box for years. I can't say I did much to modify it. I just use it.

A few tips though:

-use a lot of foil and zip-lock bags to pack things (for example: roll steak knives in foil, keep liquid soap container in a zip-lock bag)

-get some small Tupperware thingies for silverware

-get a can opener, BBQ tongs, grill brush, drip coffee maker thingy (Melita style), small cutting board, a couple travel mugs, small fry pan, small sauce pan, basic spices, a couple towels, fire starters, BBQ lighter

-you can even store a single-burner screw on stove and propane bottle in here

takesiteasy

Adventurer
We use a larger action packer to carry our kitchen stuff. We just pack it all in there with no mods to the box. Dishpans, cookset, utensil roll, knives, cutting board, saw, hatchet, water filter, paper towels, gloves, partner stove and miscellaneous stuff. We have a standard way of packing and it all fits very nicely. We carry our dry food in a small action packer and have a chest-type fridge for cold stuff. We cook on a roll-top table and the action packers go underneath. Works well for us. That said, I'm sure you can do something creative to customize one for your needs. Post up what you come up with.

vanvliet22

tarditi

Explorer
I used to do this and it worked well for years, but I got tired of having to empty it every time I needed such & such, and it still didn't serve me well as a kitchen station... was just a container no matter what bins, trays, etc. I added to it.

Then I went to my scout roots and built a patrol box... heavy, but did the trick.

A couple years ago I got a Dosko Campmate on ebay and have not looked back.

I still use the action packers as hauling boxes for dry goods and such, but the campmate is hard to beat for a portable, stowable consolidated kitchen.

Just my $.02

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't recommend an action packer... maybe an Alubox or Pelican case. I'm a big fan of Action Packers but they seem a bit too flimsy for a chuckbox. and they are not dust/water/critter proof.

psykokid

Explorer
We've used a 24 gallon action packer for our kitchen box for years. The really useful boxes in the 4L and 9L size fit perfectly two across and two deep. These are the boxes I'm referring to:

b09_0litre2.jpg

Makes keeping things organized a lot better than our previous system which was to just tetris everything in there. Made it a royal PITA to get anything out. Another pro tip I just picked up on our last camping trip from my wife's aunt was to use a pencil case for silverware.

402xjeeper

Observer
I have a camp mate dosko that I have had for 10 years, love it, bu can't find new ones. There is one on ebay for $300 used, crazy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl