mods you wouldnt do again ...

theksmith

Explorer
i did an AEM dryflow filter and custom intake tubing, then went back to stock airbox.

reason i went back and wouldn't do that again - laziness! i found that i was never getting around to taking the AEM filter off every oil change and washing it, so i was probably actually getting worse performance by having a dirty filter.

so much easier to just buy a filter every oil change and swap it in... course i am adding to the landfills this way :( the factory air box also affords more splash protection

spencyg

This Space For Rent
My mindset is now K.I.S.S. - keep it stupid simple ;).

This is what we should all be striving for. Custom wearable components certainly fit within this category along with special engine mods, special order tires, custom ECU stuff, etc. If it can break, it will break. Maybe it won't be a big deal when it happens, but then again, maybe it will. If I can't find a replacement in good stock at any NAPA than I carry a second one on board at all times. Even then, I try and limit those items to a bare minimum. Needless to say, this philosophy applies primarily to the critical systems on board more than, say, a GPS or Laptop, or a specialty offroad light (unless this is your only source of running lighting...). Even relatively accepted technology like Air Lockers make me nervous, their only saving grace being that they will most likely fail open.

The Air Bag suspension on my rig is a perfect example of "Can't find it at NAPA", but now that I think about it, I don't think I have a spare bag on board...

Geesh.

:(

RU55ELL

Explorer
Mod I wouldn't do again even if someone had a gun to my head: K&N FIPK.

Agreed, although I never spent money on the one on my truck. It was on the truck when I bought it, then I sold it for $150 plus a stock box. :sombrero:

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
CB Radio. Between the endless SWR tuning, CB noise and lack of use, probably my least successful mod. Fortunately for mounts, wire, antennas and radio I was in less than $50.

Im ripping out the wiring next week and redoing it all.

-Sam

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Lots to learn here. I've never thought of going too far from stock really. My rig doesn't need much for what I have planned.

Worst mod was buying a Scion tC when my 99 Taco was paid off. Then selling the Taco and planning to trade in the Scion for a new Taco. I enjoy my new Taco but the old one was fine and I didn't need a new car. Live and learn.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Really? My CB has been one of the best mods I've done allowing less stops on the trails and fun chatter between vehicles.

I am looking into HAM, but still, a communications device was definitely a top mod!

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Really? My CB has been one of the best mods I've done allowing less stops on the trails and fun chatter between vehicles.

I am looking into HAM, but still, a communications device was definitely a top mod!

I'm going to redo mine. I'm 99% sure the installation on mine wasn't done correctly, as others with my exact same setup have had nothing but praise. I had a helper to do mine - he isnt coming close to helping me this time!

Going to post my old setup in the classifieds, Im sure someone else will have better luck than myself.

-Sam

Area56

Pro Comp anything on any vehicle. Their stuff sux.

I second the complaints with Pro Comp. After poor longevity with some shocks, I gave the company another chance and bought some wheels. Impossible to keep the 'aluminum' looking good as they start to pit the moment you roll out the garage.

I have some aluminum American Racing wheels that haven't been polished in 4 years, and they look better than the Pro Comps that I'm constantly having to maintain. You get what you pay for...

Chazz Layne

Administrator
The exception would be their XtremeAT tires, I absolutely love them.

But yeah... other than that, ProCrap! :bike_rider:

wjeeper

Fortunately for mounts, wire, antennas and radio I was in less than $50.
/QUOTE]

Having installed half a dozen CB's in various rigs over the five years I can tell ya that a decent radio and antenna go a LONG way! The best radio was an old hand me down analog CB from the 70's.

Also hooking up your power to a "noise filtered" power source makes a world of difference. I cant tell ya exactly what that really means but once my grandpa switched the power over it made all the difference in the world!

Howski

When I had my dodge ram, I had a ton of mods I ended up regretting.
- Cheap Ebay cold air intake. Total piece of crap, didn't fit right, shoulda stayed stock.
- Shift kit. Had transmission problems forever after this. Eventually had to get the trans completely rebuilt.
- Underdrive pulley. Was supposed to give me some hp, all it really did was make the a/c not blow full blast at idle
- And has been said already, CB radio. Went cheap, didn't use it much and it didn't work well.

That being said, I have learned from my mistakes with my Discovery. Now I just upgrade whenever I break stuff. Haven't decided if this is a good or bad way to aproach things. I guess if it does break, might as well upgrade it ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77