mods you wouldnt do again ...

RU55ELL

Explorer
I second the complaints with Pro Comp. After poor longevity with some shocks, I gave the company another chance and bought some wheels. Impossible to keep the 'aluminum' looking good as they start to pit the moment you roll out the garage.

I have some aluminum American Racing wheels that haven't been polished in 4 years, and they look better than the Pro Comps that I'm constantly having to maintain. You get what you pay for...

Same with the ProComp MTs on my truck. They have been loud ever since I bought the truck with them on it. Terrible in the rain. Like you say, you get what you pay for. I didn't buy them, but I won't be getting them again.

Bad Karma

Adventurer
My mindset is now K.I.S.S. - keep it stupid simple ;).

Which brings me to another point, I keep a parts list in my glove box at all times. I also made a spreadsheet that lists maintenance tasks that I keep in the glove box.

TundraPartsList-1.jpg

should post up the file of this. save some of us (me) lazy people from having to type everything but the part numbers!!! ;)

DexGtr

Observer
i guess you guys just saved me some headache as i had installed a K & N filter in my truck last week....replaced it today when i read this thread.

wADVr

Adventurer
Well the rotors kind of self destructed on me during the '08 UA. They cracked between ever wheel stud hole. Also one of the calipers sheered off the light weight aluminum mounting brackets (happened to both rear corners at different times and ripped the brake line off both times - first time happened while getting off the interstate on an offramp at about 60 MPH......good times!). And the pads are proprietary, so if you're in the middle of no where and something happened that would require a new pad (not likely, but anything's possible...trust me :)!) then you're S.O.L., unless you carry spares with you.

Wilwood makes some awesome parts, but IMO they're more geared toward the hot rod community and not really as much toward the abusive off-road stuff. PartsMike experienced the exact same problems as I did while running Wilwood stuff on his Jeep and ended up removing it all. I was running the Superlite 4-piston calipers in the front and Dynalite 4-piston calipers in the rear.

I've had the pleasure of driving home from Rangley, CO to Hendersonville, TN (1,441 miles) with the rear calipers and rotors in the bed of the truck. Had I been running what I am now (hindsight's a beautiful thing, isn't it?), I would have been able to pick up replacement parts at any parts house......of course, if I had been running what I am now.......I wouldn't have had broken brake parts in the first place :).

The heat marks on the rotor is where we attempted to weld them on the back sides, both both rotors broke in the same manner.

RearRotor-1.jpg

Had the same thing happen with the calipers on my D44 with Wilwood brakes. They make nice stuff but not enough tolerance for off road use. The pads make terrible noise when dusty and I havent been able to get the front/rear braking power proportioned right with the other problems I have encountered with them. Would recommend Explorer parts over this any day.

Otherwise, Rubicon Express leaf springs. Rode nice, looked nice etc but didnt last and ultimatly gave me issues with axle wrap and wearing out rear DL u joints. The Alcan leafs I have now are more money but worth it. That said their coils have been great. Owned a few sets and have been very happy with them.

coreys88burban

Adventurer
-procomp AT's
-cheap shocks
-anything chrome or billet for engine parts
-removing foil cover on inside of fender for increased airflow
-stickers on anywhere, expecially windows
-spray painting anything without clear coat- DUH!
-cheap u-joints
-cb radio- my cb was free but a HAM is on my wish list
-k&n filter charger

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
My mindset is now K.I.S.S. - keep it stupid simple ;).

Which brings me to another point, I keep a parts list in my glove box at all times. I also made a spreadsheet that lists maintenance tasks that I keep in the glove box.

TundraPartsList-1.jpg

i've done almost the same thing, minus the part numbers, i have an excel file on my laptop listing everything done to my truck and how much it cost, that way when i go broke it can remind me where it all went, lol

jbaggy

FlyFish Zealot
Best. Thread. Ever. :ylsmoke:

I am embarrassed to say I just crossed a few things off my mod list after reading through....good real world feedback always helps!

idriveanxj

1. Cutting/drilling sheet metal for planned modifications, rather than during said modifications. Plans/direction of builds can change.

2. Lock-rite locker. Great on the trail, but is a real ********-puckerer in icy/snowy conditions. Selectable from here on out.

3. Any "Budget boost." Just a temporary waste of money before you're right back where you started (or your ride goes to ****) and you need to spend real money to buy a decent quality lift. I put a set of spacers in the front and extended shackles in the rear of my Cherokee. The spacers compressed the springs, which resulted in binding and a crappy ride out and all the shackles did was force my stock springs flat and sagged worse if I tried to put any sort of load in the back.

4. Skyjacker shocks. Bought a set of nitrogen charged ones for my Sierra, blew the front two within 5 months, replaced them with hydraulics. Then blew one more front one and a rear one. Went with Monroe Reflex monotubes and haven't had a problem :elkgrin:.

5. Cheaping out on tires. If they're not what you want, don't get them. Keep saving until you can afford the ones you want.

6. K&N drop in filter kits. Waste of money. Just buy extra OEM paper filters for the same price.

7. Buying back a vehicle you once owned. It's never going to be the same as it was when you had it the first time. Chances are all the reasons (read: problems) you sold it for are still there but now it has more miles and probably wasn't maintained (or your modifications were removed and sold off :mad:).

Bottom line, as mentioned countless times before me, you get what you pay for. Like my Dad always tells me: if you're going to do a job, you might as well do it right.

And for the record, I love my Flowmaster exhaust on my Sierra. Granted I have the 50 series which is a bit quieter than the 40 series. Jeez, post number 2 and I'm already writing novels. Sorry guys .:eek:

alexrex20

Explorer
+1 on the K&N drop-in filters, or any K&N filter for that matter. i just use paper filters now.

one of my big regrets is warrantying THREE TIMES my ARB CKMA12 compressor, instead of throwing it in the trash from the first failure. i finally got smart, though, and sold the new warranty replacement for $6.50 more than i originally paid. i got 2 years of service from the 3 compressors, so i guess it wasn't a total loss.

also: ARB lockers are NOT unbreakable!!!

Storz

Explorer
Awesome thread, I'll add a few things I've learned the hard way.

1 - spending more time wrenching than driving. This was a big problem of mine back in my autox days, I'd spend all my money and time trying to set up a car and then get my ******** kicked by someone in a stock vehicle because they had been out driving and learning their car while I was wrenching.

2 - anything I've ever done to make a car lounder, exhaust, intake etc. Completely worthless on a stock engine.

3 - Removing the sway bars from my first Discovery. Might have improved off road ability a little bit, but I only ever took in on trails once.

With that said, my current DII is bone stock and will largely remain that way. I've purchased a shackle block for the stock reciever hitch and a recovery strap for it and thats it. Adding some jate rings to the front.

Last edited:

x32792

Adventurer
Awesome thread, I'll add a few things I've learned the hard way.

1 - spending more time wrenching than driving. This was a big problem of mine back in my autox days, I'd spend all my money and time trying to set up a car and then get my ******** kicked by someone in a stock vehicle because they had been out driving and learning their car while I was wrenching.

2 - anything I've ever done to make a car lounder, exhaust, intake etc. Completely worthless on a stock engine.

3 - Removing the sway bars from my first Discovery. Might have improved off road ability a little bit, but I only ever took in on trails once.

With that said, my current DII is bone stock and will largely remain that way. I've purchased a shackle block for the stock reciever hitch and a tow strap for it and thats it. Adding some jate rings to the front.

The past president of our Jeep Club has the most built out TJ Rubicon I've ever seen. He recently told me in conspiratorial tones, "I wish I had a completly stock rig."

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
i wanna do all kinds of things to my truck, but the more i read, the more i wanna leave it alone, it has remained fairly stock as far as suspension, has a catback exhuast, everything else mechanical has been maintenance, i've been able to drive it everyday and its never had to sit, now it sits because because it gets terrible mileage

my buddy however, has done a flatbed build, engine rebuild and lots of other stuff to his, he just got it back on the road the other day after working on it since august, originally we thought it would be good to go on halloween, he got it back on the road new years eve

D

Deleted member 9101

The only mod I did to my truck that I regretted was two 12" kickers in a 4.5 cuft box instead of a back seat. Sounded awesome..but a bit of an over kill, now I have two JBL 8's under the back seat and I am much happier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77