mods you wouldnt do again ...

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
I would focus more on proven reliability mods, than anything performance. I have been doing this dance since I was 16.

Sometimes it works, and most times it doesnt.

You make some more power trying to improve efficiency... Okay....

NOW, you have more power to heat up that torque converter, or your clutch. Build that stronger....

Okay...

Now, you have to worry about whether you want to move your weak point to the u-joints, or, axle shafts, etc etc etc...

If you are NOT racing... leave the engine stock, UNTIL you are 100% positive you can increase efficiency without worrying about reliability....

In my current truck, I have been moving my weak point all over the place, and at this juncture, I am leaving the diffs unlocked..... I already had issues with breakage.......

K.I.S.S. Period....

If i had it to do over again, I would have left my engine alone, other than an airflow mod(exhaust)......

Just MY 2 pennies, plus inflation...

Chase

EDIT, I have said before, and I will say again, the best efficiency mod you can make is yourself.....

right now i have a k&n CAI, and i got it for $100 at summit racing scratch and dent

also have catback exhaust, looking at headers, basically wanna make it breathe better, in and out

thinking maybe e-fans and underdrive pulleys, nothing internal will be done, until the day comes and its time to rebuild, then anything is possible :wings:

I bought my jeep it came with a K&N intake.. I went smashing through a puddle one day (i was young) and my jeep died when I slowed down... water in the intake.. turns out a cold air intake on a jeep puts the intake right behind the grille.. the first thing to go ito the water.. stupid...

I never took it off.. I just quit smashing puddles.. now my FIL has the jeep. I built a "snorkel" on my 4runner after I swapped the battery and the air box. it runs between the fender and the inner fender up the the cowl... it should prevent any water getting in from a deep puddle.. but dang is it loud right there next to the cab...:Wow1:

D

Deleted member 9101

thinking maybe e-fans and underdrive pulleys, nothing internal will be done, until the day comes and its time to rebuild, then anything is possible :wings:

I did both of those too my tundra and it was worth every penny!!!

wjeeper

Cheap imitation of good quality things from

Harbor Freight Tools http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle.html

Newer again order from them things what i should trust ( Well shovel and ax so far only things what i do not brake )

They have a good shovel , only stay a way from power tool

I have got to say I kinda have to disagree......HF tools certainly has its place. Some of their tools are pure garbage from the second you open the box some are flat awesome for the money.

My $0.02.........for ~$20 bucks you cant beat their 4" angle grinders. Yeah they are significantly louder but when I worked in a welding shop they lasted just as long as other name brand grinders. Their black impact sockets work amazingly well and are super cheap. We also use their 3/4 drive socket set (sometimes with 3 foot cheater bars with a idiot jumping on the end)

Now having said that some of the stuff is pure garbage.....burned up a 14" chop saw after making a single cut into a 1/2" piece of rebar, returned it, burned it up after a few cuts. Tried some screw drivers and they were pure garbage too.

Over on pirate4x4 there is a thread "HF good tools list" or something to that effect thats worth looking into!

*edit* here is that link, I think its a good read:http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434877

Last edited:

Mamontof

Explorer
My $0.02.........for ~$20 bucks you cant beat their 4" angle grinders. Yeah they are significantly louder but when I worked in a welding shop they lasted just as long as other name brand grinders. Their black impact sockets work amazingly well and are super cheap. We also use their 3/4 drive socket set (sometimes with 3 foot cheater bars with a idiot jumping on the end)

You catch me , i am very wrong , my bad , last time i buy 3 of them as on sale only $10 each , and i am lazy to drive to replace

Please except my apology
( only i will try too do not suggest buy a winch from HF , as if you on trail by your self and you aspect to work SOME .... Murphy Law)

Honestly it is the best store : you buy some and return in exchange for new

one , no way HomeDepot or Lowes can beat that costumer service :victory:

D

Deleted member 9101

glad to know, i figure each by themselves wont do too much, but together should work good

I have done the e-fans on every truck I have owned and they have never failed to please. The tundra is the first one I have done the pulley on, and it seems to be working out quite well. But, I am also not running off road lights or a winch like some people on here, just a good sound system, but the lights dont' dim at lights.

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
thats what i've heard about the a/c no blowing as hard at idle, but i dont use my a/c anyway, who needs it when you have 2-60 air, haha

what about dual batteries, anybody, god or bad?

D

Deleted member 9101

thats what i've heard about the a/c no blowing as hard at idle, but i dont use my a/c anyway, who needs it when you have 2-60 air, haha

what about dual batteries, anybody, god or bad?

As long as your relay is set up to turn the fan on when your compressor kicks on.. it will blow ice cold.

chasespeed

Explorer
Do you work your truck? Hauling, towing etc? If so, you better check into the electric fan thing... Most are perfect for a stock vehicle... that doesnt get worked....

Its the low speed, with or without a load that can get you in trouble....

I HAVE used them, and will again in the right vehicle...... JUST food for thought......

The underdrive pullies... well, that is your call.... they have their place......

If you do headers, do a set of shorties... I wouldnt do anything fancy.. you really wont see the gains for the amount of effort.......

I would add a seperate trans cooler, AND being a Ford, a small cooler for the power steering....

Chase

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I run by '96 powerstroke 100% WITHOUT fans year round. And 4 months out of the year I have the radiator completely blocked off for winter duties.

The 7.3 in stock form simply doesnt work hard enough to make much heat.

Add injectors and a tune and things might change....

wjeeper

I run by '96 powerstroke 100% WITHOUT fans year round. And 4 months out of the year I have the radiator completely blocked off for winter duties.

100% without ANY type of a fan!:Wow1:

We ran a powerchoke with some cardboard in front of the radiator when it was really cold out to warm her up a bit but I never heard about eliminating the fans completely.........maybe Idaho is colder than I remember!

(I ought to send you my buddies wagoneer, that thing overheats if you look at it funny:sombrero:)

Bogo

Adventurer
The tools have held up great. I've only split one socket, a 5/16th deepwell.

It was a 1/4" drive, and I had it adapted up to the 1/2" breaker bar:snorkel:

I'd buy another set in a heartbeat.
Split sockets.:Wow1:

I haven't been able to split any of my Craftsmen ones and most of them are 40+ years old. I do crazy things like put 4 foot extensions on breaker bars and the sockets hold. Usually when I get to the longer extensions I'm just trying to break the bolt and have successfully broken grade 8 and 10 bolts. The only socket I've cracked was from a 3/4" set from Menards. I had 6' of extension on it and was bouncing with my full weight to get a lug nut off of my TMR, 12 bolt 22.5" wheel with high flotation truck tire on it. I did get the lug nut off. I was a bit surprised the socket only cracked rather than split.

chasespeed

Explorer

The 7.3 in stock form simply doesnt work hard enough to make much heat.

Add injectors and a tune and things might change....

Right, a Diesel is a completely different animal than a gasser, not even in the same realm. I can block off the radiator in my Cummins, and it still takes forever to get up to temp below 40*....

My service van, is a gasser and has heat after idling for 10 mins un 0-10*....

I could probably run my cummins w/o fans...

BUT, a gasser.... NO WAY.... I had electric fans on my Bronco, 302, w/ an auto.... Was fine... but, it would get warmer than I wanted... put the clutch fan back on....

My Rodeo, I ran an electric, with NO issues.... had a t-stat on it, AND, had a s/o switch on it....

SO.... It matters MORE what you are driving, than just the electric fan. He has a 351, and an auto...... just sayin...

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77