More proof that Jeep is the leader in 4x4 overland vehicles

marktutone

Adventurer
May I ask what vehicle it the failure occurred to?

Having a single failure while frustrating is far from conclusive proof to any ideal setup. IFS make up the majority of some of the hardest used off-road vehicles in the world, i.e. Dakar, Baja (desert racing et al) and are also quite common in military and industrial (mining in particular) uses as well. Unless your making a run at Kiing Of The Hammers next year (IFS's have won there too ;)) or spending all your time on the Rubicon or Moab... I think you might give IFS some credit.

Articulation better, in some cases absolutely true. But again, why the hang up there? I've been fortunate to travel in many places around the world and I can think of few if any beyond competition style environments and rock-crawling trails proper that would make me hesitate to run a properly built IFS rig. Moab Rim, Poison Spider and the Rubicon are not accepted 'overland' trails by I would guess the definition of most? It's no doubt the JK rocks trails such as those and the solid axle is a big part of that, but spending 5 days crawling the trails of EJS (keep in mind I've been doing EJS for 15 years) isn't 'overlanding'.

Fair enough. I'd offer that covertly and knowingly attempting to promote animosity (or "stimulate conversation") as you call it isn't the atmosphere of ExPo imo.

The failure occured on a 1992 Nissan Pathfinder. Great vehicle. Not a known overland or 4x4 vehicle but I had a blast with that truck.
I have learned my lesson from this thread about the stimulated conversation. I will never do it again. It is done so I have to go with it for now. Hopefully it has made money for the forum as it has generated a lot of page views.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
The failure occured on a 1992 Nissan Pathfinder. Great vehicle. Not a known overland or 4x4 vehicle but I had a blast with that truck.
I have learned my lesson from this thread about the stimulated conversation. I will never do it again. It is done so I have to go with it for now. Hopefully it has made money for the forum as it has generated a lot of page views.

Gotcha. I'm a bit familiar with the early Nissan stuff and I think you would be quite surprised to see how different (in a good way) the IFS stuff is on modern offerings, particularly the Toyota's that you are quick to discount because of their IFS. I absolutely give you credit for sticking to this thread, many would have gone awol given the front presented you. :D

Nope, not stock.
Completely outfitted by AEV. Everything I would do if I were to do the work myself.

AEV builds a super neat JK, I won't argue that for a second!

marktutone

Adventurer
Gotcha. I'm a bit familiar with the early Nissan stuff and I think you would be quite surprised to see how different (in a good way) the IFS stuff is on modern offerings, particularly the Toyota's that you are quick to discount because of their IFS. I absolutely give you credit for sticking to this thread, many would have gone awol given the front presented you. :D

AEV builds a super neat JK, I won't argue that for a second!

Ya I hear you about the IFS. Toyota has been doing it for quite some time now with 4x4. Toyota does put out quality products. I don't want to deal with torsion bars and all the stuff that goes with it. The Jeep platform to me seems so easy to work with at many levels. I go on to Craigslist at anytime and there are tons of parts, stock and aftermarket. I am a backyard mechanic and for me for some reason the Jeep seems so accessible. Thanks for recognizing what a pain this thread has been. :ylsmoke:

marktutone

Adventurer
Justin Beiber.

I just wanted to clarify a fact with everyone on this thread that Justin Bieber does not like 4x4 vehicles. Justin has been seen driving a Ferrari and Fisker Karma *electric car..
fiskerkarma.jpegjbfk.jpegjustin-bieber-car-382.jpg

I noticed several people on this thread have the Bieber Fever. If you are one of those people CLICK HERE.

If you want to see great overland/4x4 videos CLICK HERE.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Oops, I just went back to the same page where I got the price. I was looking at a price for a 200 series land cruiser rather than a 70 series. I stand corrected. The cost for a double cab work mate is $67000.

67,000.00*AUD = 62,979.60*USD

A Rubicon Unlimited Pentastar automatic cost about 53,871 AUD in Australia

A Landcruiser with four doors, 76 series Landcruiser Wagon GXL with 4.5 litre V8 turbo diesel cost 64,290 to 71,800 AUD (Full Driveaway)?

http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruise...LC70_RangeAndSpecs_RangeBanner_WagonGXL_Specs

The Landcruiser have bigger tank at 130 liters, almost dubble payload, bigger engine, have snorkel from factory?

324679.jpg

MR.Ty

Observer
A Rubicon Unlimited Pentastar automatic cost about 53,871 AUD in Australia

A Landcruiser with four doors, 76 series Landcruiser Wagon GXL with 4.5 litre V8 turbo diesel cost 64,290 to 71,800 AUD (Full Driveaway)?

http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruise...LC70_RangeAndSpecs_RangeBanner_WagonGXL_Specs

The Landcruiser have bigger tank at 130 liters, almost dubble payload, bigger engine, have snorkel from factory?

324679.jpg
Those look bad ***** it would be nice if they sold those here in the states. Thanks for that

kpredator

Adventurer
Leading overland vehicle

America. Jeep Toyota

Oz. Toyota

Africa. Toyota
Land rover for the
Romanticists
South
America. Anything goes

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Howdy

I found this 2012 Landcruiser Wagon GXL on Youtube. Looks rather big but I dont like all the chrome on the outside and grey plastic inside. Feels rather cheap and old. And I do understand it is more like a work vehicle but no way I would trade my gorgeous Jeep Unlimited Rubicon for that. Other ting is that I dont like diesels and sticks and manual hubs:) I do like the space in it:)

I get retro feeling for it because the interior looks little bit as my Toyota starlet from 1987

What do You think

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy