More proof that Jeep is the leader in 4x4 overland vehicles

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
Planning to not use oxygen and not bringing oxygen are very different. The overland equivalent is not taking appropriate recovery gear. Did they make it without it? Yes but that doesn't mean it was properly planned.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Planning to not use oxygen and not bringing oxygen are very different. The overland equivalent is not taking appropriate recovery gear. Did they make it without it? Yes but that doesn't mean it was properly planned.

Do you take recovery gear when you're driving to the grocery store?

Proper planning means assessing the route and conditions to be encountered, then bringing the appropriate gear to tackle that.

Obviously, they planned perfectly.

-Dan

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
Yes it never leaves my rig. But even if I didn't my trip isn't a mud laden trans African trip. Do you leave your spare tire at home when you go out wheeling? There's a difference between being lucky and planning accordingly.

jdlobb

Adventurer
When someone climbs Everest without Oxygen and makes it there and back, was their climb poorly planned?

The fact they made it and didn't need all that stuff proves it was perfectly planned. Both the Everest trip and the Africa in a Jeep trip.

(Of course, I'm a little bias. I didn't have any of that stuff either, and I drove 40,000 miles from Alaska to Argentina in a stock Wrangler - not a single mechanical issue)

-Dan

that is not an accurate analogy at all. Climbing Everest without oxygen is a deliberate goal, kind of like driving across Africa in a Jeep. It wouldn't be fair to say they planned poorly because they used a Jeep instead of a Land Cruiser, that would be a much more accurate analogy.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
When someone climbs Everest without Oxygen and makes it there and back, was their climb poorly planned?

The fact they made it and didn't need all that stuff proves it was perfectly planned. Both the Everest trip and the Africa in a Jeep trip.

(Of course, I'm a little bias. I didn't have any of that stuff either, and I drove 40,000 miles from Alaska to Argentina in a stock Wrangler - not a single mechanical issue)

-Dan

Dan.....I love your trip as well. The couple in the JKU proves that all of the expedition "accessories" that adorn a lot of rigs here in America are not needed. A lot of people on here get testy when you point that out or when someone drives a stock JKUR from Europe to South Africa without a high lift and a winch. What that couple did was awesome....

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Dan.....I love your trip as well. The couple in the JKU proves that all of the expedition "accessories" that adorn a lot of rigs here in America are not needed. A lot of people on here get testy when you point that out or when someone drives a stock JKUR from Europe to South Africa without a high lift and a winch. What that couple did was awesome....

Thanks.
I like showing what's possible on a very limited budget and asking open-ended questions because I think it helps people discover things for themselves.

I can't wait to see how some people react to my next expedition.
I'm sure I'll (again) be told I'm committing suicide :)

-Dan

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Thanks.
I like showing what's possible on a very limited budget and asking open-ended questions because I think it helps people discover things for themselves.

I can't wait to see how some people react to my next expedition.
I'm sure I'll (again) be told I'm committing suicide :)

-Dan

Thumbs up....

da10A

Adventurer
I believe making it without needing recovery gear shows how capable the jeep is. Not being prepared for the unforseen in such a country is something else. Unless they were numerous vehicles.

marktutone

Adventurer
I know jeeps are capable 4x4 vehicle, obviously. But whenever I see a Wrangler on the road I pretty much assume there's a 16 year old girl driving it, and I'm usually right.
That's probably true. I have noticed every time I see someone driving a LC I think to myself what fun adventurous grandparents.

jdlobb

Adventurer
That's probably true. I have noticed every time I see someone driving a LC I think to myself what fun adventurous grandparents.

hahaha, true true. Although I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen another Land Cruiser on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy