More proof that Jeep is the leader in 4x4 overland vehicles

marktutone

Adventurer
Lol. I had to go back to figure out what the hell you were even taking about. Haha was that a "call out"? Maybe it would make me feel more lowly if I was smart enough what an IFS was. For what it is worth I just thought it was pretty ironic that in the mega "Jeep rules the off-road world thread" that a jeep was camped out beside a paved road. But that's just me.

I am sorry in the future I will limits my comments in this bread to constructive comments like climbing mountains with or without oxygen in my bare feet with nothing to drink but diet soda.
You know I worded the thread the way I did because I knew it would drive the Toyota users crazy and I was right. This thread has been red hot since I put it up. I own a LC FZJ80. It is a great vehicle but it is way past its prime. Toyota has decided to go down a road that is not good for people who go off road. All the new Toyota's have gas by wire, meaning there is not a mechanical connection only electronic. I am a Biomedical Equipment Technician and I have been dealing with electronics my entire adult life and I would never trust this electronic connection.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Yeah, it's terrible,but

You know I worded the thread the way I did because I knew it would drive the Toyota users crazy and I was right. This thread has been red hot since I put it up. I own a LC FZJ80. It is a great vehicle but it is way past its prime. Toyota has decided to go down a road that is not good for people who go off road. All the new Toyota's have gas by wire, meaning there is not a mechanical connection only electronic. I am a Biomedical Equipment Technician and I have been dealing with electronics my entire adult life and I would never trust this electronic connection.

Jeep has been using it for over 7 years and the failure rate is almost non-existence-

There are some throttle delays that have to do with ECU programing(for some), but I'm afraid we have to acceptit to get the rest of the technology-

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

GR8ADV

Explorer
You know I worded the thread the way I did because I knew it would drive the Toyota users crazy and I was right. .

Two things. 1) No one is being driven crazy. Just being playful. Kind of like the way one plays with a cat with a flashlight. Great entertainment. 2) this is a great article. In particular in this case is the bit on Dogmatism
"Treasure defines this deadly speaking sin as "the confusion of facts with opinions." Bombard others with your opinions packaged in the certainty of truths and they'll quickly realize you're either deliberately misleading them or that there's no room for conversation. And they'll tune out."

Read more: http://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman/7-things-great-communicators-never-do.html#ixzz38IeQIkZP

marktutone

Adventurer
:sombrero: Yeah, it's terrible,but

Jeep has been using it for over 7 years and the failure rate is almost non-existence-

There are some throttle delays that have to do with ECU programing(for some), but I'm afraid we have to acceptit to get the rest of the technology-

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

Holy crap. I did not know jeep was using drive by wire system. I take that back I will not buy a new Jeep either. All the reading I have done has been about the Toyotas because of the unexpected acceleration problems. Some things are just better left mechanical. Brakes and acceleration I believe should be left mechanical.
I guess I will have to go the way of Redline Land Cruisers or a company like ICON. All new vehicles suck.

marktutone

Adventurer
Two things. 1) No one is being driven crazy. Just being playful. Kind of like the way one plays with a cat with a flashlight. Great entertainment. 2) this is a great article. In particular in this case is the bit on Dogmatism
"Treasure defines this deadly speaking sin as "the confusion of facts with opinions." Bombard others with your opinions packaged in the certainty of truths and they'll quickly realize you're either deliberately misleading them or that there's no room for conversation. And they'll tune out."

Read more: http://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman/7-things-great-communicators-never-do.html#ixzz38IeQIkZP

I am done with this thread. I give up on all new vehicles. You have to design your own vehicle these days if you want a new vehicle.See the post with ICON and Redline Land Cruiser.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: EASY EASY, the "Wire" system has been flawless on my JKUR for over 5 years and-

Holy crap. I did not know jeep was using drive by wire system. I take that back I will not buy a new Jeep either. All the reading I have done has been about the Toyotas because of the unexpected acceleration problems. Some things are just better left mechanical. Brakes and acceleration I believe should be left mechanical.
I guess I will have to go the way of Redline Land Cruisers or a company like ICON. All new vehicles suck.

The jeep system (Auto)has an inherent throttle Percent diminish in 4wd-4lo, so you can't over rev the engine accidentally-

My top speed in 4lo is about 8 MPH anyway-

Ya gotta take the good-with the bad !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

jdlobb

Adventurer
Older jeeps are so reliable and desirable that NGOs around the world have been racing to snap up models from the 80s and 90s.

oh wait....

marktutone

Adventurer
Older jeeps are so reliable and desirable that NGOs around the world have been racing to snap up models from the 80s and 90s.

oh wait....

I am not an NGO. I am a person who is going to retire and 3 years and I plan on Overlanding North, Central and South America. In two years I will purchase and begin preparing my vehicle and trailer. NGO's usually use vehicles only offered mostly in 3rd world countries not North America. I need a vehicle I can work on and withstand field repairs. The Jeep was looking good as most parts stores can ship world wide overnight.
I have been to Canada, Honduras, and Panama. I saw Jeeps in all of those countries.

tommudd

Explorer
My wife works for a NGO in Tanzania , no Jeeps for them, only Toyota's
Parts are readily available if needed but rarely are
So theres one area that they are not rushing out to buy older Jeeps

marktutone

Adventurer

oh wait....

Come on you Toyota guys never give up. Toyota gives the vehicles away to NGO's. The vehicles given to them do not meet minimum safety requirements in the United States. You could not buy a new LC 70 series here in the U.S. even if you wanted to. The israeli military has been using Jeeps for years. Does that matter to me, no. I need a vehicle that a common person could afford especially because I will only receive 50% of what I make now. LC with its grandpa interior and ride will not work. Also its price tag is large. I don't like the look and size of the new Tacoma's. My 1997 LC is possible if I put a new engine. My 2000 Jeep TJ will not work. The Military Spec JK8 is really starting to look nice.

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
Whats with the "you Toyota guys" thing. I'm sure owners of all brands have given you the business.

jdlobb

Adventurer
My wife works for a NGO in Tanzania , no Jeeps for them, only Toyota's
Parts are readily available if needed but rarely are
So theres one area that they are not rushing out to buy older Jeeps

I don't think you got the joke.

marktutone

Adventurer
My perfect vehicle would have:

rail frame system, no uni body.
solid front and rear axles that are strong and easy to service.
part time 4 wheel drive.
transfer case that will be able to use all four wheels or just the front or just the rear.
Manual locking hubs front and rear.
Large fuel tank
Real bumpers front and rear with towing capabilities.
Large radiator
Large cooling for automatic transmission
snorkel with pre-filter
protection for the radiator
no power windows or seats
diesel engine large enough to go up hills but not fast enough to win race.
Good ground clearance
no bling
light weight
everything serviceable
dual batteries.
Solar trickle charge for the batteries.
Rack for jerry cans
power outlets front and rear
not to big not to small
built in roll bar system
Service manual

Forum statistics