Mounting your awning to your roof rack.

Ripper

Adventurer
I recently just purchased and installed a Gobi Ranger full replacement rack for my Xterra. I am looking for ideas when it comes to sturdy and cost effective awning mounts. I am well aware of the Four treks ones, but over $100 after shipping it seems a little steep.

I had a drop in basket on my Xterra prior to the Gobi and the supplied L brackets that came with my Ironman awning were perfect. But unfortunately they will not work without drilling into the Gobi and I want to avoid that at all costs. I found a pipe bracket at the local hardware shop and I am currently trying them out. Just not certain they will be strong enough. So if you have any other ideas that you have made yourself or inexpensive alternatives to the Four Treks, I am all ears.

Here is a pic to illustrate what I am currently using. I have three on the top and four on the bottom.

Thanks

java

Expedition Leader
How about bolting an L bracket across the extruded floor with a backer on the bottom? No new holes that way.

tarditi

Explorer
Agreed - steel angle brackets with flat steel underneath (sandwiching the expanded steel) and can U-bracket on the vertical post(s) if needed.

Use some sort of nylon or rubber washer/idolater in between with the awning frame to avoid any galvanic reaction, of course.

lugueto

Adventurer
I used a sort of S bent steel angle that allows the awnings to be mounted below the flat rack surface so that it doesn't affect the height of the vehicle and it doesnt interfere with awkward shaped or oversized loads if it were the case.

I will take pics today and post later

joelwho

Adventurer
I too have a Gobi Ranger on my X. I had long L brackets fabbed ($50) and secured them to the Ranger with hose clamps. So far, so goodImageUploadedByTapatalk1416066164.474344.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416066175.908388.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416066188.149272.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad