Move over Ducati: BMW S 1000 RR

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html

Specs for the new BMW S 1000 RR literbike are now available.
A few tasty details:

999 cc
193 hp @ 13,000 rpm
83 lb/ft @ 9,750 rpm
Dual 320mm floating rotors in front
Radial mounted 4 piston Brembo calipers
Race ABS
Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) with four settings
455.3 lbs wet with full tank and ABS

The new model will be available in USA in early 2010.
My hat's off to any rider who can use this machine to
its full potential!

Scott Brady

Founder
mmmmm

050809_action.jpg

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
193Hp...that's just scary!

Wonder if TKC 80s will fit on it.... :costumed-smiley-007

-H-

805gregg

Adventurer
Time will tell, Honda had to build a better Ducuti to beat them. BMW has had alot of breaking issues, not as reliable, as you would think. You have to finish the race. The adventure bike market is funding this.

haven

Expedition Leader
"BMW has had alot of breaking issues, not as reliable, as you would think."

Reliable enough to win the first race it entered, the 1000 kms of Hockenheim on April 11.

motoexplorer

When you say that BMW's have a breaking problem...were you referring to this bike?

Since it is a brand new bike and platform I think what BMW and Troy Corser have been able to do is pretty admirable. Some 10th place finishes in there. Solidly mid-pack.

Some may scoff, but they're going up against the big 4 and Ducati. These guys have been racing WSBK for years.

I like MotoGP simply because of the cast of characters (Rossi, Hayden, Pedrosa, Stoner, et al), but with the addition of BMW, Aprilia, KTM, and Ben Spies to WSBK, it is perhaps the more fun series to track and watch.

Kudos to BMW for building and (soon to be) selling a bike like this. In my opinion they needed to do this. GS's and plush touring bikes pays the bills, but they needed a sporty flagship. And it can't cost $10k more than what Japan sells there stuff at. A conventional sport bike that directly competes with the GSXR1000, ZX10R, CBR1000RR, and R1. Time will tell whether it actually stands up to the competition. I'm happy they tried.

BMW knows that to keep new people coming into the brand they need to expand the lineup and go in some different directions. Otherwise you end up in Harley's shoes. You can't just wait until people are in their 40's and 50's to have enough disposable income to buy a BMW bike. You've got to get lower cost alternatives out there and you have to go up against the big 4 on their own turf. Hence you have bikes like the 1000RR, G450X, lower cost GS's like the F650 and F800, and cost cutting on the G650GS to keep the price in check.

And finally! The new K1200S and GT have standard one button blinker control. You really don't need three separate switches to control the blinkers.

Good on 'em.

JJackson

Explorer
I like MotoGP simply because of the cast of characters (Rossi, Hayden, Pedrosa, Stoner, et al), but with the addition of BMW, Aprilia, KTM, and Ben Spies to WSBK, it is perhaps the more fun series to track and watch.

I would agree, I think this year WSBK is where it's at, seems to be more exciting than GP, at least for me and a friend of mine. We may head to Utah to see the next round. I am sure Corser we keep getting better, the Aprilia are also doing well.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
BMW has had alot of breaking issues, not as reliable, as you would think.
Which model are you referring too? Did you own a BMW and have a bad experience? Just curious as I've seen several of your posts on ExPo regarding BMW's and high maintenance costs/lack of reliability. :confused:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Which model are you referring too? Did you own a BMW and have a bad experience? Just curious as I've seen several of your posts on ExPo regarding BMW's and high maintenance costs/lack of reliability. :confused:

I owned a lot of street bikes in my day; mostly Japanese, but one BMW K100RS. The BMW was by far the most expensive bike to maintain if you just compare the cost of standard routine service at the dealer. That said, the maintenance regime at the BMW dealer was much more complete than any of the Japanese brands, which I think accounts for much of the cost difference. For example, at the BMW shop changing the brake fluid according to the maintenance schedule is included in the cost of routine service. At the Japanese shop that would never be included in the price of routine service - you'd have to ask them to do that for an extra charge.

As far as reliability, the BMW is the only bike I ever owned that stranded me. That particular model had many electrical gremlins, so much so that I became convinced that BMW engineers do not understand electronics. My experience as an owner of a 2002 BMW 530 has done little to dispel that notion.

I love the design of most BMW bikes and cars. In the motorcycle realm they make some bikes with functional capabilities that are unique, and for a long time were not available anywhere else. The handling capabilities of a 3500+ pound BMW sedan are amazing. That said, I don't think of BMWs, cars or bikes, as low cost/low maintenance transportation, or the ultimate in reliability.

YMMV.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
cnynrat- Thanks for the input. BMW has come a long way from the K100RS (I believe they stopped making them 15+ years ago?). I had endless electrical problems with my mid-80's Suzuki GS450. That was 20 years ago and I don't let it cloud my view of the fine bikes Suzuki makes today. I'm on my second BMW and well aware of their "quirks". I've also owned a half-dozen or so Japanese bikes, most recently the V-Strom 650 (great bike) and spent a year on the KTM 950ADV (another great bike). I had numerous problems with the KTM but wouldn't hesitate to buy a 990 as they seem to have ironed out the bugs. I'm currently riding the BMW 1200GS and it's my favorite so far.

I'd love to own this new BMW liter bike. The only problem is, I don't have the willpower to keep it below 150mph and I don't have the skill to ride it safely above that speed. :)

haven

Expedition Leader
From BMW Motorcycles USA

MSRP $13,800
Motorsports Paint Scheme: $750
Race ABS: $1,000
Race ABS & Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) $1,480 <<--- worth it, in my opinion
Gear Shift Assistant: $450
Anti Theft Alarm: $395

Official Web Site http://www.S1000RR.com

805gregg

Adventurer

I read alot of long ride reports on ADVrider. I met a guy that actually carried an extra final drive on his long trips. Allthough a friend of mine rode his 1150GS from Ca to the tip of S. America without even a flat. I started with BMW for my adventure bike, next checked out KTM and settled on a V-Strom, less problems and issues. To me the best bike is the one that doesn't need a shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach