MRAP wheels on a RAM 5500? Mismatched track front to back?

java

Expedition Leader
Hm, didnt know that was an option. What tires do you run?
From my research only a few sets were made. 19.5x8.25 10 lug, I run a 285 M608Z. Pretty much the only tire option in a 285 sadly. They are load range H......

50009990197_cfa5279c1d_b.jpg

51232912210_6b31885db5_b.jpg

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
-- Buckstop offers a 2 piece aluminum wheel.
-- There are many advantages to a full system approach when you are changing wheel size/weight/etc.
-- Have you ever actually disassembled a bead lock on the road?

Where are you going? I don't think that all that many folks really remount tires on the side of the road. Methinks you may be overthinking this a bit. But, in any case, best wishes!

java

Expedition Leader
-- There are many advantages to a full system approach when you are changing wheel size/weight/etc.

Where are you going? I don't think that all that many folks really remount tires on the side of the road. Methinks you may be overthinking this a bit. But, in any case, best wishes!

100% agree, Getting them off is not so bad, back on..... not so much

I tend to overthink things, and big time overprepare. My goal is to drive from NY to the Artic Circle and also into central and/or southern america. Not necessarily all in the same trip but I'd like to build my rig with those intentions in mind.

java

Expedition Leader
Where would someone go to look for those wheels?
Good luck. I found them on eBay, guy had no idea what they were. He had 10 sets or so, I assume gov't surplus auction.

I know at least 4 or 5 sets were bought by Expo folks :)

They are a WA-0584 wheel, Hutchinson will make them for you for an outrageous amount of $$

Good luck. I found them on eBay, guy had no idea what they were. He had 10 sets or so, I assume gov't surplus auction.

I know at least 4 or 5 sets were bought by Expo folks :)

They are a WA-0584 wheel, Hutchinson will make them for you for an outrageous amount of $$

Blah. I imagine theyll be basically impossible find. I don't mind the idea of the 20" MRAPs. should be pretty solid in terms of price and performance. Tire price isn't awful either if you stick with the 12.5 wide continentals.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I tend to overthink things, and big time overprepare. My goal is to drive from NY to the Artic Circle and also into central and/or southern america. Not necessarily all in the same trip but I'd like to build my rig with those intentions in mind.

Central and South America are dead easy - tire repair shop in every village and every big city will have a heavy truck tire distributor. Whether any of these folks will look at a bead lock is another question. You simply don't find them or 20" wheels.

N.B. If you consider mil surplus 20" wheels, consider that many are simply not round. Don't ask about how I learned this and what it cost to fix that problem! :mad:

Central and South America are dead easy - tire repair shop in every village and every big city will have a heavy truck tire distributor. Whether any of these folks will look at a bead lock is another question. You simply don't find them or 20" wheels.

N.B. If you consider mil surplus 20" wheels, consider that many are simply not round. Don't ask about how I learned this and what it cost to fix that problem! :mad:

Was looking at the XZL and MVTs but for the price, brand new Continental MPT81s make more sense.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I had MPT81's. The tires rode softly but were a bit squirrely in mud or snow. My General Grabbers, on the other hand, are stiff.

The MPT81's tend to wear very fast. Unless you have someone ready to ship replacements, they are probably not the best choice for Latin America where you will be on asphalt for years.

How heavy is this truck? Any reason not to use 4k lb. rated LT tires?

I had MPT81's. The tires rode softly but were a bit squirrely in mud or snow. My General Grabbers, on the other hand, are stiff.

The MPT81's tend to wear very fast. Unless you have someone ready to ship replacements, they are probably not the best choice for Latin America where you will be on asphalt for years.

How heavy is this truck? Any reason not to use 4k lb. rated LT tires?

The rig will be about 15k dry so I need a bit more head room on tire weight rating

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I'd go with the Buckstops as a system approach. Don't put Band-Aids on broken legs, and once you remove the dual rear wheels, at 15k lb., you are breaking legs.

To play devil's advocate, why not simply keep/upgrade the dual rear wheel set up? Other than the usual horror stories of stones between the wheels, you should be able to get good reserve capacity and any tire shop will work on them.

java

Expedition Leader
Run flat makes it a bit harder to get off the rim..... But, get a 5ln hammer, some blocks and go to town.... Eventually it comes off. I don't want to think about the air needed to get it back on. But I have not tried that yet. Oh an hope you can reuse the Oring.

51468422265_406b168945_b.jpg

51467476696_c1a499349f_b.jpg

51467725908_b3694ace02_b.jpg

I'd go with the Buckstops as a system approach. Don't put Band-Aids on broken legs, and once you remove the dual rear wheels, at 15k lb., you are breaking legs.

To play devil's advocate, why not simply keep/upgrade the dual rear wheel set up? Other than the usual horror stories of stones between the wheels, you should be able to get good reserve capacity and any tire shop will work on them.

Out of curiosity why would you refer to the hutchinson MRAPs as Band Aids. I figured they be plenty reliable. No more or less reliable than buckstops or stazworks or first stops.

I was considering staying DRW but didn't see many options for good AT tires that werent 12.5 or 13.5 wide and impossible to run dually.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Amen on the "O" rings! Gotta carry spares!

Hutchinson wheels are not in and of themselves a Band-Aid, indeed, I tried to get them for my truck - they wouldn't sell to me. Running them without the proper lift/shocks/flares/etc. might be. The RAM is not set up for 335 tires from the factory. Hence my inclination for a systems approach. Again, no personal experience with Buckstops.

Cannot recommend Stazworks.

IMG_0613 - Copy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy