My 05 Unlimited Rubicon

glensnea

I have been snooping on here for a while and figure it is time that I post my info. I have had many Jeeps over the years, the current stock being an 05 Unlimited Rubicon, 88 YJ, and 59 CJ5. I have decided to build the Unlimited into my expedition vehicle.

Here is what I have done to it so far. 4.25" lift(3" OME, 1.25" body), Quick disconnect sway bar links, Jeep Medic tummy tuck and oil pan skid plate, motor mount lift, Edge Trail Jammer kit, 4.88 gears, 33" tires, and some other goodies.

I just ordered the Kargo Master Congo Cage and am ordering an ATV ramp today to build my own platform. I never could decide on a rack that I truly liked so this is a compromise and I can make it custom. Currently I am researching ho to paint aluminum, as I want the rack to be black. Eventually I will get a RTT for it.

One of my questions that I am going through right now it should I mount the RTT in the front or rear of the rack. I have been thinking to put the RTT in the rear so I could add the extra shelter off of the bottom for some more room. My issue with this is that I want to be able to carry extra fuel on top and I am not sure about carrying and refilling fuel cans above the passengers. If the cans were in the back then it would not be an issue. Decisions, decisions.

I will post some pics this weekend.

outdoors

Observer
noob here x2

That makes two of us lurking..x2.
Looks like you are going down a nice path with your set up.
I've got an 05'Unlimited that I've had for two years now.
It came with the 24h package (if you have one a good give away is the silver dash bezels with compass & upgraded seats.) I also have added the following, 4.5"RE lift w/ome shocks which is perfect for me w/33's I slide right in the seat. the rocks are big where I some times traverse. 33x10.50BFG MT's.
Warn8K, Warrior Products rock sliders, Solid axle diff cover, 4.56's,D30ARBw/alloyshafts,D44FullDetroit, With the longer wheel base the Detroit in the rear is very manageable and ultra reliable personally for me. My next upgrade will be the Nth tummy tuck
from AEV, It does not require a body lift as well. more protection to come. Also looking to sleep and camp out of this platform, so I'll be adding to the list... I had a 78' Bronco for a number of years with my 87'XJ, and 77'CJ5..
All are gone now.. When I saw the LJ come out, I knew it was for me... a wheel base of my Bronco on a Jeep platform.. And more room and a much better ride then my CJ5..lol
Sorry for the jump in it just looked right to chime in now.
Again, nice rig and see you on the board.

glensnea

Good to hear from you and I was in the same situation a few years ago. I was Jeepless at the time and wanted another one bad. I read that the Unlimited was coming out so I waited a year for it. The week I was going to buy it I picked up a magazine at the grocery store and read a one paragrapher that they were going to release a Rubicon edition. So I waited about another year and finally got it.

A few more details I forgot to mention. CB radio. I am planning on getting HAM sometime in the future. MileMarker 9000lbs. winch, winch guard, Body Armor rear bumper with swing out tire carrier plus 2 Jerry(Gerry) cans, high lift mounted, on tire carrier, Garmin GPS, Sat radio,

More future addons: Snorkel, diff guards, Body Armor front bumper, many others.

SeaRubi

Explorer
i wouldn't trust my '06 unlimited with a tent up there. I don't think these things have enough ******** on 'em to stay planted on a sidehill with all that weight up top.

my .02

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
The front and rear debate is something I struggle with as well. Up front and you always have a fixed length for the ladder. Out the back or side and you get a nice little awning that you can put an enclosure on.

Plus off the side and you can run the wider 1.4 or bigger tent since they are all 48" deep when folded.

glensnea

I finally got my Conga Cage yesterday and installed it. My first impression when I opened the box was that it was definately heavy duty.

The install went fine. The only issue I had was one of the self tapping screws that hold the rear mounts in place pulled the metal out a little on the body instead of pulling the mount in. Not a big deal. I am going to replace those with bolts anyway in the near future just for my own comfort.

I am making a rack like some others have with an ATV rack so I positioned the cross tubes flat instead of having the arch up. There is a slight contact on the softtop so I am going to shim the front mount to get the cross bars up. It won't take much.

My ramp get's here today so I will be bolting it in the open position and installing it as is. I have already purchased sluminum stock for rails but it will be a couple of weeks before that is done.

I am taking the family to the mountains for a week starting tomorrow. I don't have time to get done what I want to at first.

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
glensnea said:
I finally got my Conga Cage yesterday and installed it. My first impression when I opened the box was that it was definately heavy duty.

The install went fine. The only issue I had was one of the self tapping screws that hold the rear mounts in place pulled the metal out a little on the body instead of pulling the mount in.same thing with mine, replaced with bolts, no issue Not a big deal. I am going to replace those with bolts anyway in the near future just for my own comfort.

I am making a rack like some others have with an ATV rack so I positioned the cross tubes flat instead of having the arch up. There is a slight contact on the softtop so I am going to shim the front mount to get the cross bars up. It won't take much.
I rotated the tubes as well, just position and drill. easy-skeezy. one question. what ramp did you find to fit the LJ? all the ones i've found are either too narrow or too short?

My ramp get's here today so I will be bolting it in the open position and installing it as is. I have already purchased sluminum stock for rails but it will be a couple of weeks before that is done.

I am taking the family to the mountains for a week starting tomorrow. I don't have time to get done what I want to at first.

also, i'd recomend mounting the cage without the rubber pucks. i got a LOT of movement with them installed and with about 150lbs on the rack. i deinstalled them (per kargomasters instructions) and the rack is much sturdier.

might be a rack by rack thing, that you'll have to test out.

cybercat

Adventurer
glensnea said:
I have been snooping on here for a while and figure it is time that I post my info. I have had many Jeeps over the years, the current stock being an 05 Unlimited Rubicon, 88 YJ, and 59 CJ5. I have decided to build the Unlimited into my expedition vehicle.

Here is what I have done to it so far. 4.25" lift(3" OME, 1.25" body), Quick disconnect sway bar links, Jeep Medic tummy tuck and oil pan skid plate, motor mount lift, Edge Trail Jammer kit, 4.88 gears, 33" tires, and some other goodies.

I just ordered the Kargo Master Congo Cage and am ordering an ATV ramp today to build my own platform. I never could decide on a rack that I truly liked so this is a compromise and I can make it custom. Currently I am researching ho to paint aluminum, as I want the rack to be black. Eventually I will get a RTT for it.

One of my questions that I am going through right now it should I mount the RTT in the front or rear of the rack. I have been thinking to put the RTT in the rear so I could add the extra shelter off of the bottom for some more room. My issue with this is that I want to be able to carry extra fuel on top and I am not sure about carrying and refilling fuel cans above the passengers. If the cans were in the back then it would not be an issue. Decisions, decisions.

I will post some pics this weekend.

I installed mine on the driver side. Great way to cool off the driver. As for fuel on the rack I'd stick some water up there first and see how it affects driving and leaking, sometimes gas cans will seep just a little as they expand.
My suggestion would be in install a Genright 30.5 or load them on the bumper.
I've completed a number of trails in CO and a couple in Moab all had some off camber spots you will have to watch were you go that weight will make a difference.
Cheers Stu

Jay S.

Observer
Glensea,
Those pictures are awesome!!! I live in the upstate of SC, what was your route in the mountains of NC???? I'd be interested in knowing where some of those locations are.......thanks!

glensnea

Thanks! We stayed around Beech Mountain, and drove around Grandfather Mountain, Linville Falls, Linville Caverns, Blue Ridge Parkway in same areas, Chimney Rock, and Blowing Rock.

glensnea

Some pics of the Jeep.

The trip was great. Driving with gear on top for the first time is kind of scary, especially going off camber with a cliff beside you and the family in the Jeep. The cool thing is that my wife had never wanted to go offroading. For the first few dirt roads she gave me grief. After that she was looking for every dirt road she could find to explore.

IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2346.jpg

IMG_2332.jpg

DSCF0891.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online