My 1991 Suburban V2500 Build (ideas welcome)

asmith

Observer
i just got a great deal on a muscle car which i always wanted. I just would rather put the money towards that for now.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Man, what is it with people that start these projects then walk away from them within a few months? You are like the 3rd guy in recent months to do this. I wish you lived closer as I would take those H2 wheels off your hands. To answer your question you would probably do alright just selling everything loose if you have the patience to deal with Craigslist. Why do you want to sell it?

Well, a myriad of reasons....moving, money or lack of, school, time, kids, military, tastes change, job change, losing a job...that should give you an idea. I don't think most are wishy-washy. Sometimes life just takes over and things don't always sail smoothly. Sometimes you get the vehicle you think you wanted and after driving it for a few months or a year, you realize it isn't what you wanted/need/hoped it would be. I thought my 3/4 ton Burban would be great for family, lifestyle, and pulling our Travel Trailer on occasion. After one short pull to a campground, I saw that it was grossly underpowered and too light a vehicle for a 9800# trailer even though the tow ratings said no problem. So, why keep a vehicle that gets 10mpg at best and drive it around Southern CA where it's a b**ch to park a big vehicle? Made total sense to sell it and get diesel. Anyhoo....just throwing some ideas out there to answer the questions. It is rarely lack of commitment.

Last edited:

BBslider001

Diesel Head
X2.

I see this on here a good bit, but also in the classifieds. Where's the follow through?

See above response. It isn't lack of follow through just because a person can't or doesn't finish a vehicle project. I don't think integrity is in question here.

I would say lack of "follow through" would apply to more important life stuff such as marriage, being committed to a job for taking care of family, or being committed to the well-being of your children....not finishing a vehicle project.

asmith

Observer
See above response. It isn't lack of follow through just because a person can't or doesn't finish a vehicle project. I don't think integrity is in question here.

I would say lack of "follow through" would apply to more important life stuff such as marriage, being committed to a job for taking care of family, or being committed to the well-being of your children....not finishing a vehicle project.

Well said.

SilverMiner

So a couple of things today. First my super bright reverse lights came in from IJDMTOY.com
View attachment 156448View attachment 156449

I know it's been quite a while, but I just discovered this thread and I am eager to know more about those incredible backup lamps you installed. I've checked out the IDJMTOY website, but it didn't really help me figure out what you may have used. By chance can you provide a part number, or at least a hint on how I might find what you used on their web site? Thanks!

Last edited:

bigtrkltltrl

Observer
I also have. 91 V2500. I wheeled it for 2 years no lift and 33's. but I dragged my rear receiver hitch more than the rear tires were in the ground(At least it felt that way). I put a 6" lift and 37's. it is a little tall but the rear overhang it a killer. It is a great rig and I constantly surprise people with what it can do.

Here is a pic of the flex I got out of it with no lift and 33's.
etu9y7yj.jpg

And here is with the lift and tires.
e4y2u5eq.jpg

I just picked up a used Ramsey RE12000. $200.
You will need a winch. Everyone I wheel with has jeeps. Little small to help out if I get stuck.

My stock with 33's did fins and things at Moab with no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

asmith

Observer
Well i have some good news. I worked it out and im keeping the suburban. Also came across and newish tbi 350 long block with 7800 miles. Hopefully I can get sometime of to put some work in. :wings:

bigtrkltltrl

Observer
I am glad things worked out. Good luck with the swap. My swap was fairly easy. Just went thru 3 sets of motor mounts before I found the correct ones. Napa guys picked it out right off the bat after 2 trips to autozone and one order to rock auto. Napa sold me the ones for an 85' 2500. The ones for the 91 were all wrong even listed under 87' still wrong ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

asmith

Observer
This must of caused a little bit of the power and mileage problem.
330.jpg

On a side note my oil filter has a attachment for the oil cooler. Any idea where i can find gaskets for it?

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I am glad to see that your `Burb´is getting a new:Wow1: motor Asmith! I look forward to seeing what else you do with that fine rig. Lets keep those old GMs going!:drool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven