My 1st Montero

mpwelsh

INYO_MAN-

i see in your rig list you have 4mm skid plates mounted up. what plates do you have mounted under the vehicle? do you have a couple of photos you could post up? i'm curious to know b/c i'm trying to get some mocked up within the next couple of weekends.

also, do you have yakima crossbars to mount the bajarack? which rack do you have?
how do you like the duratracs? i'm in the decision making process now on tires/size.

good looking rig!

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
INYO_MAN-
do you have yakima crossbars to mount the bajarack? which rack do you have?
how do you like the duratracs?

Yes, I have the Megamule Bajarack mounted on yakima crossbars. I'm not entirely satisfied because it's all sitting on top of the factory rails.
One of these days I plan to fabricate some mounts that will work in the factory mounting points on the roof to bring the rack tighter to the roof.

As far as strength of the rack, I've been very happy. It's been load for extended overlanding and has performed flawlessly.

I'm very happy with the Duratracs. Seems to be a great AT/MT hybrid, that work very well in rain, ice, snow, high speed desert runs, sand, and mud. I've had them on rocky trails, but nothing full-on. I'd recommend getting them in the E load.

I'll post a thread about the skid plates.

pajombre03

Observer
Man, your monty is nice. I really like the black on white, I have an 03 montero, pearl with silver trim. I am in the process of saving up money, since I am still a teen, for my OME lift and ARB bumper from rockyroad outfitters. Did you put on the lift yourself? How much was it for the plastics to be done? Man, this is my new model as to what I want mine to be like.

Kjell Sullivan

Observer
Man, your monty is nice. I really like the black on white, I have an 03 montero, pearl with silver trim. I am in the process of saving up money, since I am still a teen, for my OME lift and ARB bumper from rockyroad outfitters. Did you put on the lift yourself? How much was it for the plastics to be done? Man, this is my new model as to what I want mine to be like.

Thanks pajombre03,
I had a local shop install the lift, I heard it was quite a pain in the butt to do. I never heard why it was, just that it was. After looking at everything installed I can see what a tight fit it is in some places.... looked like a "no fun at all install". I have to say that I was worried the ride was going to be overly harsh, but It's not too bad at all. It needs to settle a bit for sure, but so far I have no regrets whatsoever.
As for the plastics, let's see..... I spent $1.50 on a Sunday Paper for masking material,$3.25 for some 150 and 200 grit sandpaper, $9.50 for 2 rolls of 3M blue masking tape,$30 for 1 quart of Herculiner, $3.25 for a 3" paint roller, $8 for 2 cans of Rustoleum sandable primer(black), I also spent $5 on a can of Duplicolor black bumpercoat. The herculiner is a bit too glossy for my tastes. It does tone down a little after a couple of months, but the bumpercoat is exactly what I wanted as far as the finish goes... like satin black.

Dark Shark

adventurer
Hey it was good to see you and the montero today. I think I'm goning to get the full OME kit for the Tacoma this week. The money is burning a hole in my pocket I think lol.

pajombre03

Observer
Oh cool, you did the trim yourself. Seems easy enough. That'd be a nice touch, and not expensive at all. I couldnt stop thinking about how cool it would be to have my paj looking like yours... My friends give me a hard time about it, the montero, they drive a samurai and 4runner, thinking that their cars are the best. I know the capabilities of monteros, and love to see how much of a following there is on here.

Kjell Sullivan

Observer
Ya, there is quite a large following on here I've noticed. It's a nice resource to have. Since eventually I have questions that will be answered here since there's a wealth of knowledge.
The Montero's seem to be the underdog off road vehicle in the U.S. but other countries love 'em.
I've only had mine for about a month or so, so I've not been able to really take it out and get to know it very well off road. I've hit some light trails around here, and taken it around in the snow a little bit, but I have to say I really like it for all that it is..I mean it is really comfortable, it will seat 7 if need be. It can going to haul me, my dogs, and all my gear on trips, and get groceries. If I remove the second row seats for trips, I can even sleep in it. I'm too tall to do that with it now...I tried. I think it will handle everything I throw at it just fine. I'm not rock crawler, and I don't intentionally seek out the deepest mud holes(anymore).
I hit the trails for a few to several days at a time where it sometimes gets technical, but mostly it's trips that are full of washboard roads, with ruts and rocks. More serious stuff only on occasion. It really is filling it's niche well with me.
4runners are great, and samurai's are too in their own way(albeit they are not as versitle for a DD due to their size) but in all honesty, I really feel I'm getting more value out of this Montero than a 4runner....or used Land Cruiser for that matter. I was very very serious about getting an LC100 or nice LC80, but when I weighed the pros and cons out and was honest with myself about cost of ownership and what I need, this did seem to be the most reasonable choice

Kjell Sullivan

Observer
Hey it was good to see you and the montero today. I think I'm goning to get the full OME kit for the Tacoma this week. The money is burning a hole in my pocket I think lol.

Ya you too man. You will be very happy with OME. Looks like we'll have a small project in our near future.

Kjell Sullivan

Observer
Oh cool, you did the trim yourself. Seems easy enough. That'd be a nice touch, and not expensive at all. I couldnt stop thinking about how cool it would be to have my paj looking like yours... My friends give me a hard time about it, the montero, they drive a samurai and 4runner, thinking that their cars are the best. I know the capabilities of monteros, and love to see how much of a following there is on here.

Oh ya, one more cool thing about the Montero.....removing the third row seat gives way to a nice cubby hole for more gear!!!!
I'll be taking my first weekender with it in two weeks, so I'll get to bond with it more, and take on some slightly techy stuff.

pajombre03

Observer
Yeah, the samurai is way too small for anything reasonably comfortable, and the 4runner isn't too hot in the cargo space and room department. The montero really is just big. Spacious, plenty of room, and then that cool little cargo box under the floor in the back will be useful.
The Montero's space is just superior. I have done a small bit of offroading with the monty, the way it sits stock now, and it did smooth, majority of the time I stayed in 2h when even the samurai needed to be dropped in 4. In fact, I cant think of much anything my friend has done with his samurai that I havent done, or couldnt do. She handled mild rocks well, decent mud after a good rain, went fine. And i have been to the beach with stock tires and got out of any soft sand with out any real worry. Once ive got her all done up with the upgrades, I plan on doing beach wheeling the most, then mud, not crazy mud holes, and then light rock trails. I can't wait

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal