My 1st Montero

Kjell Sullivan

Observer
Beach wheeling sounds like fun to me! I wanna hit the dunes at least once with mine, but we'll see how it goes. I'll be tip toeing around at first for sure, to get a feel for the stability in that sort of terrain.

Kjell Sullivan

Observer
WHAT IS THAT STINK coming from the cargo area carpet????
Last week a small group and I went up to Salt Creek to see if all the Solar activity might produce some auroras....NOPE they didn't, at least not around here.
Anyway, there was a little mud and snow driving to get to the spot, where we released our camp chairs and a six pack...and made a small camp chair. Anyway, after a few hours, we packed up and drove home. I didn't unpack the chairs for a couple of days but when I did, I noticed this amazing stench in the cargo area, not unlike a wet dog/porta pottie blend. I sniffed the carpet "Man, that's rank!" I muttered to myself.
I quickly pulled away the carpeted plastic cover for the stowage area, and began to oxyclean, I also oxycleaned the rest of the carpeted area in the back. I allowed it all to dry thoroughly...then I sprinkled some carpet freshener on the carpeted areas and vacuumed them.
This stink will not go away! I have no ideas on what it was. The chairs were not wet when I put them in there(maybe the feet of them only).
Does anybody know of a good solution to get rid of carpet stank?
I do wonder about pulling the carpet out back there and herculining it all. Has anyone done this?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I do wonder about pulling the carpet out back there and herculining it all. Has anyone done this?
Have you tried Baking Soda?
IIRC, depending on what chemicals caused the odor (organic/inorganic/etc.), there are specific products you can buy that will neutralize the odors.

Imnosaint

Iron, but Gel
Congrats on the Gen III. Very nice package with your paint scheme. I have an HD OME kit along the way for mine and will install on my own, having done suspension mods before. Curious what you've heard or read on the difficulty of the install.

As for the rear bumper, there's a local shop here featured often in 4Wheel Drive magazine, Dixie 4X4. They're great fabricators. Saw a one-off bumper they did for a Gen III locally. I'm going to see what they can do for a rear bumper with swing-out spare carrier. Perhaps if there's enough interest we can do a number of them and bring costs down. I'll advise what I find out.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Great looking rig!

Congrats on the Gen III. Very nice package with your paint scheme. I have an HD OME kit along the way for mine and will install on my own, having done suspension mods before. Curious what you've heard or read on the difficulty of the install.

As for the rear bumper, there's a local shop here featured often in 4Wheel Drive magazine, Dixie 4X4. They're great fabricators. Saw a one-off bumper they did for a Gen III locally. I'm going to see what they can do for a rear bumper with swing-out spare carrier. Perhaps if there's enough interest we can do a number of them and bring costs down. I'll advise what I find out.

Installing an HD set up from OME is straight forward. Don't forget the spring compressor.

A rear bumper for my Gen. III is something I'd be interested in finding more about.

Tim.plante

Observer

coffee grounds...sprinkle it all over the stank area and let it sit in the sun and get nice and warm... vacuum it up and it should be gone...thats what i did when i got my rig from a smoker...i also keep a small burlap bag that holds about a hand full of coffee beans and just a shake of it removes any smell from a passenger as well :rally_guys:

Dark Shark

adventurer
Kjell! When are you gonna get to any new project for that rig of yours? Im always happy to return the favor and I now have a buddy that has everything to fab projects so.......

Monstero

Adventurer
Nice rig, after "Dark Shark" resurrected this thread its cool to see your progress. I haven't been on in a while as well and its cool to see a rig similar to mine. Love the look of the Herculiner, its the best thing I did to mine since it was getting all scratched up on the trails. I also did the UV topcoat that as well cause otherwise it gets pretty dull looking after time. Cool rig tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal